• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

BlueDevil's Vortech SuperCharger Installation Complete

AV4fun

SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
So i cancelled my day at the autoshow tomorrow to work on the blower today. The installation so far have been pretty easy inside the engine bay.

Im pretty much dredding on drilling the oil pan for oil return but it needs to be done. (I'l tackle this tomorrow).

Installation of blower stopped the second i found out im missing the five 3/8-16 x 2-1/4 mounting bolts for the blower. Now i need to call those idiots so the send the bolts.

This is what i've done so far:

Removed alternator,fusible link junction box(red box),accesory belt,power steering pulley,fan shroud,engine idler and main braket.
VortechSuperCharger010.jpg

Vortech main bracket installed
VortechSuperCharger012.jpg

Re-installed alternator,idler,power steering pulley.
VortechSuperCharger013.jpg

....and blower preset. I need the mounting screws dammit!!
VortechSuperCharger014.jpg

Now im tired.? Gotta go to a party tonight in the minivan??

Lots of grease on the tap for the oilpan, slowly cut, back out, clean tap, regrease.

Go to Home Depot for bolts.

DougD said:
Lots of grease on the tap for the oilpan, slowly cut, back out, clean tap, regrease.

Yep. I bought a can of grease today and just thought about going to the hardware store and getting some forged bolts.

DougD said:

The instruction book lacks on details...  The grease is used to trap the metal shavings correct?

BlueDevil said:
The instruction book lacks on details...? ?The grease is used to trap the metal shavings correct?

Mick:

It provides some lubrication but the main function is to trap the metal shavings. And DougD is correct about taking it slowly - the last thing you want to do is break a tap off in the oil pan.

FWIW, the oil pan drill and tap scared the hell out of me. ?I almost chose a different blower because of it but it went smooth as silk.

I came to to the AV community from the Mustang community and Vortech's rep was second to none with them. ?That's probably the biggest reason that I went with a vortech.

gotta quit reading these threads, gotta quit reading these threads, gotta quit reading these threads,

looks great so far,
(I'm extremely jealous)

MyBigToy said:
Mick:

It provides some lubrication but the main function is to trap the metal shavings. And DougD is correct about taking it slowly - the last thing you want to do is break a tap off in the oil pan.

Yep, and a tidbit that the instructions don't tell you, don't even try it with the front driveshaft in. ?It takes 5 minutes to drop it out and it gives you plenty of room to work.

Another thought, do you have a booster fuel pump to install?  If so the directions are for a Silverado.  It requires fabbing a bracket for a AV.

I'll pm you my cell #.  If you need help, call me.

BlueDevil said:
The instruction book lacks on details... The grease is used to trap the metal shavings correct?

Yes, mainly to trap the metal fragments.

In fact, you should do the same on the drill bit you start with.

Metal in crankcase - not a pleasant thought :)

I know with the older stamped steel oil pans, a sharp center punch and hammer would give you the starter hole to tap, don't think that'll work on these :)

KY_BOB said:
Another thought, do you have a booster fuel pump to install?? If so the directions are for a Silverado.? It requires fabbing a bracket for a AV.

I'll pm you my cell #.? If you need help, call me.

His is a 2004...no booster pump.

KY_BOB said:
Duh, I knew that? :E:? Stupid question.

How's the install going?

the install halted. i dont have the 5 bolts and wahers to mount the blower.  im calling the seller today and have them expedite them.

i was going to work on the oil lines yesterday but i got hammered saturday night and suffered a nasty hangover yesterday.  so i took the day off. ill get back on it this weekend. im still out of town working.

stingray502 said:
BD, How hard has the install been so far...say for an average mechanic?

ever replaced an alternator or a flat tire? easy as pie with regular hand tools like: socket wrenches,puley puller,etc.

the only part that seems hard,is drilling the oil pan but once over that hump,everything else should be even easier.

ok. i talked to the people at vortech.told them im missing 5 bolts. there willing to ups ground but it would take 4 days to ship it. i asked what about expedite the item? they said i would get charged for it so i said forget it. i want these parts by the weekend.

heres the kicker....vortech buys the bolts and washers from home depot lol. so......im hitting home depot tonight and see if i can find them. if not then i have no choice but to wait for vortech to ship the bolts.

BlueDevil said:
ever replaced an alternator or a flat tire? easy as pie with regular hand tools like: socket wrenches,puley puller,etc.

the only part that seems hard,is drilling the oil pan but once over that hump,everything else should be even easier.

Thanks for the info....when I get around to having the money, I was wondering if I could do it myself...sucks about the bolts though...go to Home Depot and get them your self  (y)

What about the tune?

KY_BOB said:
Yours is only a phone call and credit card away. >:D

Thanks BOB.. I really need the reminder...I am already contemplating selling my motorcycle and the wife's Equinox..that way I can pay off the AV....go buy the wife a new Suburban and get me a little surprise from Vortech

stingray502 said:
Thanks for the info....when I get around to having the money, I was wondering if I could do it myself...sucks about the bolts though...go to Home Depot and get them your self? (y)

What about the tune?

Thanks BOB.. I really need the reminder...I am already contemplating selling my motorcycle and the wife's Equinox..that way I can pay off the AV....go buy the wife a new Suburban and get me a little surprise from Vortech

It took me almost 2 yrs to get mine. I wanted one the second i saw Bob's.

BlueDevil said:
heres the kicker....vortech buys the bolts and washers from home depot lol. so......im hitting home depot tonight and see if i can find them. if not then i have no choice but to wait for vortech to ship the bolts.

Guess you shoulda listened to me in the first place :)

Back