• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Split gate in development.

HiYoSilver

As the saying goes, "If you want something done right, do it yourself". Since GM was not coming out with a split midgate, I made one myself.

This is totally removable and does not use anything from original equipment except the nuts that bolt the door in at the bottom.

Although this is my first prototype, I will be interested in feedback.

Fully closed
normal_P9270052.JPG

40 open with door stored behind seat
normal_P9270064.JPG

60 open
normal_P9270054.JPG

Closed from rear
normal_P9270056.JPG

40 from rear
normal_P9270057.JPG

With the bed panels off and the doors closed there is no noise from the rear up to 90. >:D

It should be just as rain proof  and secure as the original door, which was not 100%. That was what the drain holes and channels are for under your original door.

Please ignore the covering on the panels, I need to learn how to upholster better.

Hopefully, I will be showing this off at the Renaissance GTG in MIchigan this weekend.

Does the top lock into place or is just sitting there?

Being as I dont see it "folded down" you just slide it behind that piece of channel you have on the floor? Then pull it out, if you need access.

Tango Chaser said:
Does the top lock into place or is just sitting there?

Being as I dont see it "folded down" you just slide it behind that piece of channel you have on the floor? Then pull it out, if you need access.

Tango,
Yes, both sides lock independently. Here's a pic:
normal_P9270070.JPG

is there a seal on the split?

Why not split original midgate like some other member did long time ago?

ygmn said:
is there a seal on the split?

Why not split original midgate like some other member did long time ago?

The edges of the split are vinyl to vinyl and are pretty tight, so very little if anything is coming between them.

The thought of cutting a part that cost $1130 is probably the biggest reason. Also. this way I can return it to original equipment in a matter of minutes.

HiYoSilver said:
The thought of cutting a part that cost $1130 is probably the biggest reason.

You'll get over that soon enough. Another 6 months here, and you'll be taking a 3" hole saw and cutting thru your fenders!  (y)

Tango Chaser said:
You'll get over that soon enough. Another 6 months here, and you'll be taking a 3" hole saw and cutting thru your fenders!? (y)

Or hacking out your suspension >:D

Well give us details of the build.  Looks like you used a little piece of angle iron on the bottom?  Maybe some plywood covered in vinyl for the panels themselves?  Used some sort of latch bar to hook into the original latches?

Details Please!

chAVey said:
Well give us details of the build.  Looks like you used a little piece of angle iron on the bottom?  Maybe some plywood covered in vinyl for the panels themselves?  Used some sort of latch bar to hook into the original latches?

Details Please!

Since I'm contemplating offering them for sale I don't want to give detailed construction plans just yet. However, I can say you are mostly right.

The panels are sandwiched plywood with insulation board in between, making them fairly stiff but light. The latch is actually from a fence latch kit cut to fit. The angle iron is the ugliest part of the setup and I'm looking for alternatives that will work.

The hardest part is getting the doors cut to the proper size. I'm also looking for ways to cover the bed side of the doors with a more durable material and also a vinyl that better matches the interiors.

MI_Graystone said:
Looks good, about what did that cost to build if you don't mind me asking?
Dan

$130 in materials
8-10 hours labor
5 hours wandering through Home Depot looking for things that would work

Getting the first prototype to work=Priceless

Greystone, I will discuss it more with you tomorrow at the Renaissance GTG.

This is a very cool mod, saw it on Saturday... definitely another option for people who don't want to cut their factory gate into pieces...

Yep, saw this on Saturday. The panels are very lightweight, easy to maneuver. Both sides locked into place.

My only concern is where to put the rear window. Have a dog, so placing on the seats for me is not an option.

For your first go-round you did a nice job HiYo!!!  :B:

Thanks, Shel and Freebie. That was my 2nd GTG. It was a real pleasure getting to meet more people in this club. Everyone was great.

Shel,
It should be fairly simple to add a rack for the window on the large panel. If I can find the parts, I will have something done by the end of the week. Thanks for the idea. :love:

Frank

Did you ever come up with plans for the split gate.  If so I would like to know where I can purchase them.  Could you e-mail me directly at kobeneko@sbcglobal.net.  Don't check this that often.

Thanks,
JR Dorcak

Not sure you will get a reply from the original poster of this 2007 thread..........he has not been on the site since 04-16-2015 per his profile....

Back