• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Monroe Reflex Monotube Shocks......

DaveInSoCal

Hey Guys!

It's time for a new set of shocks/tires for my Avalanche and I have purchased a set of the Monroe Reflex Monotube's (photo below).

I'll be putting these on myself this evening hopefully it should not be too difficult.

I've put shocks on other vehicles in the past so it's not like I'm jumping into this blind.

Next will come a set of BF Goodrich All Terrain TA/KO's in 285/70/17's all around!

Then a new alignment to finish everything off......

Photos with new tires will come later in the tires/wheels section......

ShocksfortheAvalanche9-28-2007.JPG

Daveinsocal.................. :cool:

Intimidatoruag said:
cool ... I will be doing same soon ... I just ordered Rancho RS9000XL shocks Wed and I'm just waiting for them to show up ....

Like Intimidatoruag, I too have ordered the Rancho RS9000XL's for the front only at this time.  They are on the FedX truck out for delivary so they will be in my hands tonight.  I will install them tomorrow.

Hey Guys.....

Just wanted to share my experience after installing my own set of Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks.

After having read many posts/experiences here I decided to install my own shocks and save some $300 during this maintenance cycle.

Many thanks to all  (y)

Below are several photos outlining my experience.

*Here are the shocks out of the box........(Hey look they almost match my Avalanche's paint color!)

2.JPG

*Here's the top bushing/washer supplied by Monroe (left) and the factory bushing/washer/shaft/nut (right) I decided to use the factory set as the bushing was larger and I liked the idea of the built in shaft on the washer.

1.JPG

*Here's a photo of my old front Billstein shock

3.JPG

*Here's a photo of the front driver side new shock just about installed, this was the only area where it took a little time to work around all the stuff in the engine compartment getting that vise grip on the top of the old shock to loosen the top nut and using a wrench from the outside wheel well to get at the top nut (the skirt kind of gets in the way but I recommend raising the body slightly so you can work easier over the tires)

4.JPG

And finally here's a photo of the rear shock installed, this was very easy to do as the top nut requires a 13/16 socket with a 6" extension to get to it as you have to go around the back/top of the frame to get at it and the bolt itself kind of gets caught up on that plastic wheel well trim as you try to take it out/put it back in (no biggy).

5.JPG

First thing I noticed after installing all these shock is now when you try to push down on the truck it does not give at all like it was before, or when you step on the side steps to get in the truck it no longer lists or rocks.....hmmmmm it looks as though I'm going to be missing the old/soft/squishy riding truck for a while, but the additional handling/control will be very welcome and I'm sure I'm going to get used to it quickly.

DO THIS YOURSELF AND SAVE SOME CASH IT'S SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now later today, a new set of BF Goodrich All Terrian AT/KO's in blackwall flavor to finish it all up.......can't wait!!!!

Daveinsocal............. :cool:

I just finished putting a set on the front of my 02.
Ran it up the street and what a difference!
Of course my left shock had been leaking for a while, so I guess anything would
be better.
Anyway, cant wait to see how it does on a trip.
(y)

I know this is an old thread but this is the first one that came up when I did a search for Monroe Reflex shocks. 

Anyway I just wanted to say that I purchased a set of these today and installed them myself.  Had a little trouble getting the top nut off of the driver side shock but the bottom 13/16 bolt and the passenger side top and bottom were a breeze.  I used the new washers and bushings that came with the Monroes. 

I'm glad I did this myself.  The local shop wanted to charge me $200 to put a set of Gabriel Ultra Shocks on. 

MichiganSilver03 said:
Here's some how to's if it helps

Tech Center link

Dang, wish I'd seen this before I changed my shocks yesterday.  No major problems, but I was a bit concerned that I was going to have issues with the rear shocks not lining up with the holes.   Even with the strap on the shock, they still needed some compression to fit...was able to do the first one by hand, but was too worn out for the second one.  Ended up using the jack to lift the chassis, and it lined up perfectly.

When I bought my 08 Avy LT 5.3L 2WD (95K mileage) back in OCT 15, the Left Rear Shock was "broken", and the dealership put a new set of Monroe Reflex Shocks on the rear.  About a month ago I noticed a periodic "clunking" sound and I finally got under her and noticed that the Left Rear Shock was covered in an oily fluid.  I am guessing that the shock is busted...again, same side, rear driver side.  :mad:  Is this a common location of failure?  I noticed it a few comments (and years) earlier in this thread.  I am about to have them warrantied out with another set next week. 

My apologies for reviving an old, but common theme thread.

Maybe they could give you credit for broken Monroe and replace shocks with Bilstein? That is stock on a Z71 and I haven't had a problem with either my 2004 or my current 2008.......

I could certainly try the swap (Monroe for Bilstein) idea. 

I have about 50-60k miles on my Reflex shocks.  I bought them at OReilly so lifetime warranty.  Good thing too, because one of them went bad in about 10k miles.  Took it back and got a new one right over the counter!  They ride really well and I often tow an 18 1/8 ft Crestliner Walleye boat through the Rockies with my Av.  No wallow or sway issues at all.

BTW, I buy most all of my Av parts at OReilly because of the lifetime warranty on almost every part they sell. And you don't need to keep the receipts!

Back