• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Replaced Front & Rear Shocks With Rancho RS9000XL's W/Pics

4mranch

PM 2017
Realized the drivers side stock Blisten shock had gone bad so I ordered two Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks.  Ordered from 4 Wheel Online at $89.79 each with free shipping and no tax.  They arrived within a week by Fed-X.

Saturday, September 29, I replaced the two front original shocks on Miss Indy. The front driver's side had lost it's seal and taken a dump on my garage floor. Even though the fluid had leaked I still could not feel a change in the ride.

Anyway, I have attached some photos of the installed Rancho RS9000XL shocks.

Attachments

• ranchoxl_001.jpg
    ranchoxl_001.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,125
  • ranchoxl_002.jpg
    ranchoxl_002.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,123
Here are a couple more views of the new Ranchos. I do have one complaint with Rancho, there were no instructions in the packaging explaining the adjustable ride feature. The last photo shows the dial on the shock for adjustment. I have started with the large nub on the dial pointing up. So far it feels alright.

As a side note to the install, I mounted both shocks so that the dial faces the rear of the AV and they are easily accessible for on the go adjusting.

The shocks also come in a locked down state that is released by turning the hex feature on the shaft end. With the AV on a jack and the wheel assembly dropped down the shock can be installed easily. With the shock bolted in place on the lower end and the bushing/washer installed, slowly lower the AV back down while aligning the piston rod in the upper mounting hole.

Add the upper bushing, washer, and nut and tighten.

Attachments

• ranchoxl_003.jpg
    ranchoxl_003.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,121
  • ranchoxl_004.jpg
    ranchoxl_004.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,118
The body color is a gray/silver metallic with bright red silicone boots.  The boot is secured in place with a supplied black nylon wire tie as shown.

KY_BOB said:
Hows the ride?? I need shocks and those are my top pick so far.

With the dial set as shown, I have not noticed any difference from the stock Blistens I replaced.  I am going to try it with a different setting tomorrow.

I am going to replace the rear Blistens with the same shock in the very near future (Translated: When the budget allows.)

I just emailed Rancho customer service to get an explanation of the adjustment dial (Firm to Soft number relationship.).  I will post their data when I receive it.

Did I mention that the shocks came with some nifty Rancho DS9000XL logo stickers that could be applied to the body of the shock if you so choose.  I left mine off since I have a thing about being sticker free.

got mine in mail Tuesday from Samsrancho.com .... not bad ... less than a week .... probably won't put them in until the w/e of the 13th ...

As previously promised here is the reply straight from Rancho customer service:

"Thank you for your interest in Rancho products.  When you turn the knob clockwise toward setting nine the shocks will get firmer and when you turn the knob counter clockwise toward setting one the shocks will get softer.

Rancho team member
Vladi"

I am going to test out the settings this weekend.

Well I tested the different settings on the Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks this past weekend and have set mine to five.  The nine setting was a bit too stiff a ride and one was too soft.  As Goldie Locks would say: "In the middle was just right.".

If anyone is interested in these shocks, from Rancho, and has a question, feel free to contact me.  They have my recommendation.  (y)

I'm guessing at some point someone at Rancho figured out what they think is "ideal" for different conditions because the MyRide controller comes with 4 factory settings that you can't change and one you can set yourself. So, here are the "factory" settings for different purposes:

1. Highway: Front 6 - Rear 3
2. Sport: Front 8- Rear 6
3. Work/Tow/Haul: Front 6 - Rear 8
4. Off-road: Front 4 - Rear 4

And a link to the MyRide page in case anyone wants to look for themselves:

Rancho MyRide Controller

Hope this helps. I haven't gotten as far as installing my controller yet. Actually stumbled across this thread doing a search for installation tips. Go figure.  :B:

Rear replacement Rancho RS9000XL shocks have been ordered since my original Blistens have finally started to leak after 96K plus miles on them.  Looking forward to the install being a little easier to do than the front ones were.

Installed the new Ranchos last Sunday morning and they were much easier to replace than the front were.  Set them to the "5" setting to match the front setting so I will see how they perform.

On a side note, when I removed the passenger rear original Blisten shock I noticed that the piston shaft had been bent.  Not sure when that happeded during my AV's 97.5K mileage life span.

What is your  take on RS9000XL in the real world test?
What are your driving habits, only HWY, towing, any off road?
Do you make any adjustment for your needs?
If you make any setting changes is it manually or remote controller?
If you were buying shocks today would you purchase these?
JV

Yes I would purchase them again.  Most of my driving is around town and highway so the setting I use to closest match the original ride is #5 (Middle setting.).  I occasionally get off round , but nothing too radical and the ride stays comfortable.  I adjust them manually and both the front and rear shock adjustment dials are fairly easy to get to.

I've had mine on for a few thousand miles.  Love them.  Mainly highway driving, but I've towed my 2000 lb boat and my 6500 lb travel trailer with them.  I'd buy them again.  (y)

I've been using the previously posted settings:

1. Highway: Front 6 - Rear 3
2. Sport: Front 8- Rear 6
3. Work/Tow/Haul: Front 6 - Rear 8
4. Off-road: Front 4 - Rear 4

I think for city driving, I'm settled in on the 3 or 4 setting all around, and any softer and you'd think you were cruising down the highway in a boat.  For mountain driving I turn these clockwise to 6 or 7 to stiffen things up more to keep the truck from leaning to much in all the sharp turns/switchbacks.  Still messing with my settings for particular situations...

these shocks are nice and the wireless controller would be a nice add-on, but probably not worth my cash as its pretty easy to adjust manually, unless its muddy - then its a pain.

Just installed these last night. I don't seem to be able to rotate the adjusting knob more that a quarter turn. I don't want to break the knob, how much effort does it take to turn it and how many revolutions will it travel?  ???

I installed these with the my ride controller and the ride is much better than what I had on from the factory which had started leaking. However I feel like I get a bit more feedback from the road in the truck with whatever settings I used. Maybe the fact that I changed my tires at the same time from P rated to LT tires may have something to do with it.
I do like the fact that I can adjust the shock settings using the controller on the fly while driving. 

Great shocks

I went back to the truck and started working the knob back and forth on the driver's side. Suddenly, it turned almost 3/4 a turn clockwise. I worked it back the other way and I can feel resistance in the center position. I did the same with the other side only I had to use pliers as my fingers were hurting. The feel is the same with resistance in the middle. If there is clicking, it is very slight. Test drive afterwards was nice. I am still worried about the stiffness of the knobs.

They should not be that stiff. Did you try rotating the knobs at any time before installing the shocks on the truck?

I had my shocks on for approximately 2 weeks before installing the my ride controller and during that time I was able to rotate all 4 manually through all 9 settings without any issues.

Fingers never hurt a bit. You may want to give Rancho a call. I know they are good enough to send you a replacement set of fittings and you can take those off and try the new set.

They might even send you the replacements free of charge and maybe you'll only have to pay for shipping which is a nominal fee.

I would also try taking the fittings off with an Allen key and see if you can turn them easily.

If you can then it is an issue with the valve in the shocks themselves

I hate to say it but if the issue is with the valving you might need new shocks.

Lastly you should be able to get more than 3/4 of a turn through all 9 settings. It is not a full rotation but it is really close to one.

Thanks for the reply. Tech support did say the same, they should not be that stiff. They are mailing me out two new knob assemblies under factory warranty. The tech support line was a pleasant experience. Nice doing business with Rancho.  (y)

Mine turned easily when new, but now that some time has ellapsed they have become very difficult to rotate thru the full range.

Did Rancho provide any information as to how difficult it is to change out the knob assembly?

4MRanch said:
Mine turned easily when new, but now that some time has ellapsed they have become very difficult to rotate thru the full range.

Did Rancho provide any information as to how difficult it is to change out the knob assembly?

4MRanch
It is not difficult at all. You don't even have to put your truck on a lift or anything.
Just get an Allen key the correct size. You should see a bolt on either side of the knob. Remove the two bolts and the knob comes off with the gasket behind it.

If memory serves me right, the manual for the MyRide controller says the shock should be at the number 1 setting when doing this. I think it can be moved at other settings since you guys may not be able to move the knob any more. Just make sure the new one you're installing is either at number 1 or the setting of the old one. Any higer setting and the knob will not seat right.
Rancho does include new gaskets with the new knobs as well.

Back