• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Delphi SkyFi XM Radio

cdesio

SM 2003
Does anyone have the new XM radio from Delphi?
I just order the SkyFi unit. Looks slick, 4 lines of display and it's removable so it can be taken in the house.

? if you do a search you will find that they suck. ?i installed one for a friend. ?it sounded like cr@p. ?the reason i think is because of the cr@ppy FM modulator. :B:

I've read varying reports after doing a Google search. Some love it, others have had serious problems with the FM modulator. Others can't even get the FM modulator in their areas. Have to agree it is one slick unit with a more viable UI than the Pioneer.

I haven't found the FM modulator yet. The unit ships next week so we will see. I got a really good deal on it so I couldn't pass it up.

Well guys I got my Delphi installed. I started with a clarion FM modulator. Got heavy static with the music. I then installed a jensen modulator, same results. I ended up returning both and I was about to go with installing a tape deck and using the tape converter. I ended up call JPCustom and talked to Jason (JASON YOU ROCK!) I order the PIE harness and had it overnighted. Installed the PIE today and it worked like a champ! :D
I ran the antenna like Chief's got done and mounted the unit in the small cubby where the onstar usually goes. I'm loving this thing! :love:
Attached is a pic of the Skyfi installed.

Attachments

• IM000732.JPG
    IM000732.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 17
I know that you mentioned that you got a good Price on the Delphi, How Come you didn't go with an aftermarket setup like a pioneer indash or an alpine in dash?

It probably would've been a cleaner looking setup without them there wires hanging out.

Just my 2c.

jw

I got the Delphi for $100. Couldn't pass it up. I thought about going with an aftermarket deck but I liked the look and features of the Delphi and I like being able to remove it and bring it in the house. I will be cleaning up the wires so they don't stick out as much soon.

You know what, I just reread your first post and realized that its pretty slick that you can take it into the house too!!

I did not know that.

jw

Looks good man. How did you mount it so it angles like that? Could you post pics of the mounting bracket? Other than that look great.

MNBLK and others

If you like this unit--
they just came out with a BoomBox you can buy
that the Delphi plugs onto--
so you can take it anywhere, and have Sat Radio

Pretty COOL (y)

(y) i got a delphi xm with car adapter kit and the boom box. and so far i like it ! boom box isnt really heavy base nor the fancy stereo, its just an long adapter with speakers built into it. but for a $99 for a cheesy looking thing i think its alittle steep. i havent installed in a car yet. that will be my this weekend project! so far i found at least one mod to do every weekend! keeps me busy ;) i like the fact that i can carry this thing around whereever i go, like fishing or to work....like the comedy channel but i wouldnt listen at work or public places...these channels are not censored !! ;D gotta go out and buy FM modulator adapter later !! hmmm....what if i can mount this on my ducati...

rclydly - What every you do stay away from the FM modulators! Fair warning. Spend the money and get the PIE harness from JP Customs It's like $65. Sound quality is far better. If you need any help with the installed PM me I can give you some tips.

Chris

:( arrgg...i just went out and bout the delphi fm module and already installed on my freezing driveway. ill be testing it out in few min..after my body temperature returns normal..ill let you posted....thank goodness for the good return polocy at best buy....if i don't like the sound ill go your rout! thanks ;)

Hey Black, got mine fully installed and thanks to you and the Chief for the great instructions on the antenna install.
I used my Phone mount for my privacy handset. to the back mount and the holes match up. I will get pictures for you. It is mounted in almost the same spot but farther over to the right giving you full use of the box and all the wires come out right at the corner of the dash panel so you don't see them that much.
Had to take it all apart had a loose connection so i redid everything and took the larger connector and put it under the A/C controls to have more room to put radio.
Sounds great..............
thanks again for the help.

MNBLKAV---
You said you tried the clarion and jensen first??
what comes with the Delphi??
didn't they include a modulater or did it suck?

I'm sure the PIE will gives the best results--
but I have a aftermkt HU

Thanks

:3: :6: :7: :8: ??? :rolleyes:MNBLKAV i just installed delphi unit with delphi FM modulator....no distortion...static...sounds clear but.....it's so weak !! i nearly have to raise the volume over half way to get a decent sound....no bass..no thump....doesn't sound anything like the CD...is this is the current technology on so called revolutionary digital radio??!! im about to return the whole thing back! cost me like $350 for all unit including the boom box and car kit....if this is the best quality i can get ill spend my $350 on something else :8:
question....FM modulators...versus the direct head unot..whats the difference? i just want more thump and kick like when im listening to CDs....does your way increase any more volume wise? and more bass? and the boom box is a joke for a $100 bucks.... sorry guys..dont mean to just complain...but its way under my expectation thats all.... :cautious:

Capecruis8der - It comes with a tape convertor so if you have a tape deck you can plug it in there. No Modulators.

rclydly - Have you tried adjusting the Line Level by hitting the menu button on the XM. With the PIE I had to goto 1 short of max. I does thump. It could be the FM Modulator that is giving you grief.

Hey don't worry you didn't offend me I didn't make it. I'm quite happy with mine and that's what counts to me. If you don't like it then bring it back but my advise would be to try the PIE harness first if your running a factory deck still.

Chris

>:DDamn...i feel like such an a$$...i adjusted the level output on the delphi and now it's louder....may be i should crawl into a small hole.... :p typical male behaviour not reading the instruction manual......thank god for the forum like this..thanks guy.... (y)

So are you happy with the sound now? It's just a matter of getting everything setup right.. So how about some pics??

hmm.... :2: i do own a digital camera...but how can i post a pick?? recommended resolution?

Hey RC, don't feel bad, i freaked out for about 10 minutes myself. I have the 3 way switch from Jason and hooked it straight into the radio so i would get better sound instead of an fm modulator. But like you when i switched from cd to xm there was a big difference. Grabbed the book and found the menu instructions and adjusted it wide open. It is still not as loud as the cd but pretty close and i have plenty of thump. I can tell the difference when switching to fm to xm. Sounds a little better and more thump.
The mount i used was a pro fit. it is made to for phones, but as mentioned earlier and in the delphi pages you can use one. It is bolted in behind the dash panel. Pull dash panel off, bolt it on and reinstall dash panel. Sticks out almost in front of that vent. Will try to get pictures up tomorrow with the profit mount.
Went hunting in Mississippi this weekend and my son listened to the old time radio shows all the way. He got a kick out of em'. Dark shadow and such, ;D
zeeya

OK ?MNBLCKAV I finally got some pics with the profit mount and wired up, don't mind the dirty floors i have been hunting, with no chance to clean it up with this weather.
Again thanks for the info.
17713132.jpg

another shot
17713126.jpg

17713116.jpg

I think you can actually go to centennial. they order them for our company vehicles and since this is my work truck they put one in here too. Now just have to find a place to put the privacy handset ???????
zeeya

Hey got some questions about this guy.
I see on ebay you can get these for $100 plus around $10 shipping.
(1) Do I understand that you have to get the car kit just for the mount? Seems like a waste if you want to use the modulator.
(2) I'd rather not use the cig. adapter can it be wired in?
(3) What's the difference between this PIE adapter thing and an FM modulator?
(4) How is the delphi modulator working for people?

All I really want is the receiver, some sort of connector to get the sound coming out of the stereo speakers, some way to get power to it and a mount. I saw that one of our members offered the same mounting bracket that Zeeya used, so I'll be getting that fom him.
Can anyone help me, I might like to get this before the East Coast meet.

It looks like I can get the whole setup (receiver, car kit, modulator) just over $200. Good or bad? And can a person who doesn't mess with stereos do this (I have taken the dash apart before)?

Earthquake, Will try to answer some of those questions as well as I can
The Delphi Main unit cost right at 129 everywhere that i have seen it. It is no good by itself. It has to plug into either the car unit/home unit/portable unit.
The car unit and others have the actual plugs for the antenna/power/audio to radio. The head unit only has a small flat plug built into the bottom side that has to plug into one of the mounts.
The question on the pie versus the modulator. I went with the pie connection because i wanted to get the signal straight into the radio instead of playing it through a radio station.
Pie plugs directly into the back of the radio and plays through the aux. side of your factory headset. If you go with the modulator you unplug your antenna and plug the antenna plug into the modulator and the extension on the modulator then plugs into the antenna socket on the back of the radio. You then pick a set station on your radio (fm). When you turn on your delphi unit you have to tune to that station and it plays just like any other radio station. IMHO you will just get the same sound as playing through your radio. Not quite as good of quality when going with the modulator.
Install is really easy. Radio has a clip on each side, push in towards radio (or is it out) and radio just slides out. Using the modulator just reroute your antenna wire to modulator and new wire from modulator to radio antenna connection.
Pie, takes a little more since you have a to pull back plug off of radio and plug it into the pie and then the pie plugs directly into the back of the radio.
Hope this helps a little.
Zeeya PS, my set up with the pie ran total about 250.00 for everything including the monster cable to run from pie to delphi unit.

Hey Zeeya, that really helps. My wife has helped me decide to wait at least a month to do this. but it is good to know that there are people out here who know this stuff.
One more question, what are the options to power the thing? do you have to use the cig lighter addapter or can it be hardwired somewhere?
You'll probably be hearing back from me in some PM's when I get it.

Thanks again.

Back