• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

'03 Aftermarket XM?

roro

Question: I have no plans to upgrade the head unit, but I do want XM. It was the only option that was not included on my truck. I see that the head unit is the same as those with XM, but when inquiring about adding XM, my dealer said I need to get a FM Modulator and read out. Something doesn't seem to jive here. Should I need all that, or couldn't I get a box and antenna to attach to the Bose unit already in place?

Also, is the signal better on those that have XM directly attached o the head as oppsed to sending the signal over FM?

Any Ideas all?

RoRo

There should bo no difference in the reception. The FM modulator works fine. I had the Pioneer 903XM with the modulator and ended up changing the HU to a Pioneer motorized screen with XM built in(i did not need the modulator) although the direct connection is probably more desirable the modulator does work fine. The antenna should make no difference whether it is factory or aftermarket. I really enjoy the XM and do not listen to AM-FM at all any more.

I couldn't imagine Bose sending two different HU for the same truck. I am wondering if I take out the head unit, if it has an antena feed.

I wonder if I could just install the antenna myself...

Any thoughts?

Has anyone seen the rear of the HU form the upgrade Bose unit with a truck that did not come with XM.

I want XM either way, I am just trying to save some dough.

RoRo

The guality through an FM modulator will be like radio quality, not as good as CD quality (which is what you'd get with it hooked to the head unit)

That is what I thought. XM sounds better than radio station thought the FM Modulator, but I still want the better quality by going though the HU.

I guess I just have to remove the HU and see what is back there. I know all the dealerships have XM Service Dealers install antennas after the trucks arrive. I still think I should be able to add XM to the factory HU.

I'll let you guys know what I find.

RoRo

O.k. heres the problem I have chatted with Bose, Chevy and a ton of other people about this - XM in 2003 vehicles MUST be installed in the factory to be on the HU. The XM part of the radio is a slave unit to the HU and plugs into a plug in the rear of the HU - problem is the factory must install the plug inorder to have it there (OnStar plugs into the same input in the rear of the radio so you can not just buy the plug and plug it in). Chevy states that if you change the harness in any way it will void all your factory warranty on all of the electrical systems (not exactly buying that one but...) - Bose does not actually make the HU either (sucks I know) Delco makes the HU and Bose supplies the amp and speakers (including the sub). We have been running a conversation similar to this in another forum check out all the info - but basically - not factory installed then it is FM only for XM radio (at this point in time)

GM XM Radio

I installed a Sony Plug & Play in my 03. I used the FM modulaer and it sounds fine. The hardest part of the job was getting to back of radio. I had to remove AC controls.

I have to ask a question. I am about to go buy a new avalanche tomorrow. Can I replace the Delco with my Kenwood Sirrius radio? I was told that the radio must stay?

Thanks Avarchitect. ?Looks like I have to wait for the PIE. ?As for the changing the harness and voiding the warrenty on all electrical systmes, I am not buying that at all! ?How would they even know?

Sometimes those companies act like you cheep friends trying to weltch on a bet.

RoRo

Your dealer can upgrade your radio for $300 for the hardware and $100 labor. This is fact not fiction, I have seen it with my own two eyes mine is going in next week. :eek:

RinconJeff - what exactly do they do? Replace the HU or just add a harness? Interested in knowing exactly what is done so that I can instruct my dealer on what to do...

avarchitect said:
RinconJeff - what exactly do they do? ?Replace the HU or just add a harness? ?Interested in knowing exactly what is done so that I can instruct my dealer on what to do...

I knew someone would ask :) and I have no idea. I will call my dealer tomorrow and get part number ect.

I found out it could be done here and asked my dealer. I will do some more searching for those who can't wait til tomorrow.

Update: I just called my friend who had it done, it's a head unit exchange.

Would love to change factory head units but asked my dealer about this swap and he had no clue ?:rolleyes:

It could be one of those "amongst friends" things I will give you a full report.

I asked the sales manager and he left a voice mail with the details a day later. I told a friend whom also bought from the same dealer and he had it done as well. Mine is going in next week.

UPDATE: It's up to your dealer. If they want to do an upgrade they take your head unit and swap it with a new one. Your old Headunit goes into their inventory.

as far as the FM modulator goes the signal you hear is not as good. you may think it is...when in fact it isn't. it is not possible because the final product you hear through FM modulation is an analog signal. using the IP bus connection from the XM tuner to HU yields a digital signal which is CD quality.
and if nothing else it looks a helluva lot cleaner. the install with the modulator means you have to find a spot for the display. i have only seen one real nice install of this component in the overhead compartment one of the members did that looked factory. the other thing is that switching from radio to XM, and vice-versa will give off a loud static feedback signal through your system which will be alot louder than you would like for it to be. it only lasts about 2 seconds. i say 2 seconds too long.
i have had both systems installed. i will tell you that the aftermarket HU and XM tuner hookup is the way to go. if you want that factory look i would suggest trying to get the the XM radio GM offers. i have the Pioneer DEH-P640 HU, XM tuner w/ IP Bus cable, and Sony XM radio antenna. i went with Sony because they offer the smallest XM antenna that i know of. to hookup the HU i used "Smart Plugs" purchased from Circuit City. these plugs allow you to install aftermarket radios with out cutting the factory wiring. one plug is vehicle specific. it will plug into the vehicle harness. the other is HU specific. it will plug intot he back of the HU. then the vehicle specific harness will plug into the HU specific harness. with the HU installed all that has to be for the XM is plugging in the IP Bus cable and giving it switched power. when looking for a place to tap for power i decided to use a location the harnesses i spoke of. this way no harm was done to the factory wiring, thus voiding my warranty. i also used this method for amp hookup as well.

Back