• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

What Makes XM So Cool?

TXAVy

SM 2003
I agree that XM is "the next thing" in radio technology, but I've read several threads where the writer refers to it as the best thing since sliced bread, or their number 1 favorite feature in the whole truck. So I thought I'd drop in on the Audio/Video forum and find out what all the hubbub is about.

I understand that it provides several (hundreds?) of stations at CD quality.

I also understand that you pretty much can't lose reception on any of them in most of North America.

But is that worth forking over a subscription every month?

And I'm pretty sure that the people who think it's the best thing in their beloved Avalanche are the same ones who would spend enough money to buy a Whipple on new speakers and all the gizmos to make 'em loud and proud.

That said, why would anyone spend $120 a year (subscription is still ~$10/month isn't it?) just to hear more radio stations/CDs than they can already hear at home?

Is it because you live in a place that doesn't get many or any good stations and you spend 5x this much on satellite television anyway so the $10/month doesn't matter to you? Personally I'd rather take that $120 and buy a dozen or more new CDs a year (more through music clubs).

Variety! That's why I pay $10 bucks a month.

It's all conveniently broken down into categories 4 you.
Feel like listening to 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's... no problem.
Bored, want a quick laugh... tune to one of the comedy channels...
Wanna listen to old time radio classics, learn something new on the Discovery Channel...
The list goes on and on...
And what I really enjoy is... for the most part... No Commercials!

For as much time as we spend in the AV on the road...
it's definitly worth the money! Just my opinion. :)

I agree, variety. And in the mountains of Colorado, never lost a signal. Now, sliced bread is pretty cool, but XM is a little better. $10 a month, ahh, why not for a little muzak.
zach

You know, I used to think XM radio, or its compatition Sirius, was going to be the greatest thing too. And it still may be. But my 2-cents is that it may be over before its done. Why?
Well, with MP3 players becoming more affordable and able to hold more and more each day, I think they are going to take the biggest chunk. But even if they don't, my thought is eventually someone is going to figure out how to drop an always-on internet connection, whether by Satellite, Wifi or something yet to be discovered. Once I can peel my songs of the internet, from anyone anywhere I choose, XM and (Thank God!) radio will fade.
And I did buy stock in XM and Sirius about a year ago so for me to be thinking this, well, it seems to make sense...

I have no idea what the draw is to sat radio. I almost NEVER listen to AM or FM unless there's some news story going on. I can't see myself paying for radio. I just load up my Keg with 10 or 20 GB of tunes, a few audio books, and some Lake Wobegon episodes and I'm good for a month.

Of course, everyone asked "Why would I ever pay for TV? TV is free!" With the offer of cable, people could get higher-quality, mostly commercial-free programming, and even some more adult-related content. Sounds like the beginning of sat radio. People will shun it, but eventually, like TV, you won't get squat for programming over the air. All the real stuff will be over sat. Oh, and the mostly commercial-free aspect will go right out the window. The "radio" stations are still run by money, and adverts bring in cash. Slowly at first, but people will begin to accept the interruptions and we'll end up with just another pay service overrun with commercials. A service that's equal to what used to be free.

First off, I think the XM thingy is great.....provided you spend a lot of time on the road. I make a 15 minute drive to work each day and once a year I take a weeks vacation. Not hardly worth the $10/mo for satellite radio.

However, my own alternative was to do a little web searching and I came up with sites that have downloadable WAV or MP3 files of music. I have filled over 30 CD's with my all time favorite rock music and jazz ;D I mean I found songs that were my favorites that most oldies stations don't even touch. Stuff 6 into the dash player and I'm good for almost 6 hours of great music :cool: .

I also think XM is great, I don't have it but I love the idea of it. But the one reason I would get it would be for commercial free broadcasting. I can not stand commercials.

IF you drive a lot and change towns when driving and have ever had to slunch over to hit seek or change the CD or look for a new CD or whatever then the XM RADIO is for you........

What I like about XM besides the lack of commercials is that you don't hear the same 20-30 songs repeated throughout the day. You hear artists that are really good but don't get any FM airtime. Since I signed up 3 months ago I haven't listed to FM..... ;D

Is the $9.95 worth it, <<Absolutley>>
I have the Delphi XM unit

I drive to work listening--I get to work, and pop it out and into my shop stereo-[ I was paying $24mo for digital cable]--- I go away for the weekend or a trip---I pop it into my wifes car ;D

I used to buy-2-3 CD's a month-- and sometimes you get stuck with only one or two good songs---- also opens you up to a hole new genre of music that you Mp3-ers may never come accross

And even if your not a music nut
You have comedy channels---CNN-Fox news--talk shows--- nascar----etc etc etc

I besides no commercials, clear reception everywhere, wide variety of interesting programming, great music choices, great sound, super traveling companion for trips, there's not too much I can say for satellite radio! ;)

I like the fact of the Variety and No Commercials on most of the channels. Honestly where can you get 24 hrs of comedy, Nascar Coast to Coast, Country, ETC ETC, it goes on and on. Now where did I put that sliced bread.

jw

I like it for the uncensored and uncommecialized entertainment. If your a person who switches radio stations during the commercials, this will change that.

Also, you can't imagine how nice it is to travel and listen to an entire talk radio show. This is versus having to scan the local channels every 60-90 miles.

Regarding the subscription, that was the turn-off to me. We don't bar-hop or go to the movies, so its an alternative entertainment expense. However, I find paying for it every 6 months makes it more palatable, if that is possible.

I don't think I drive enough to make it worth my while. I could see if you spent a lot of time in the vehicle it would be useful, akin to having cable TV instead of whatever you can pickup on your antenna.

Personally though I commute in my more gas friendly vehicle, and the CDs I have are enough to fill the gaps when my favorite 12 radio stations (I do live near a major metro area though) don't have something that fits my mood.

Thanks for the responses though. I guess I understand a little better now. Though I still don't think it comes ANYWHERE near the koolest feature in the Avalanche.

I love it,but I am one of those that pay $70.00 a month for satellite T.V. so a extra $10 isnt that bad. Its only like .33 cents a day.I stopped drinking coffee :cry: so I can justify the extra cost. I see it as I am saving money :cautious: now. Plus I don't get many good local stations. I still do my share of borrowing music and burning it though.

I main reason that I got is because here in Atlanta the radio stations have a lot of static! I even had the av checked out to make sure it was not it! I am an Audio nut, I like everything form Heavy Metal to Jazz and in between. Some of that Varity is very hard to find here in Atlanta. So when I upgraded the system to an Alpine head unit I thought why not try it! I now never listen to the local stations. I love lisstening to Jazz on the way home from work or even ESPN sports news to get caught up with what is going on. (I work 3-11) The best thing is there is no STATIC, the sound quality is great, and being able to see who is playing for new groups and songs, along with the older songs is great, to try to download them off of KaaZZA. I am just telling you if you are like music and information this is the way to go!!

Wvusquatch

If you buy an Av with a factory (standard or Bose) XM radio, you can get a 90-day free trial set up. After that, there are plans that will discount the $9.95 if you buy for a longer term, paying up-front of course.

I really like the XM radio (although I spend a lot of time listening to Boston Talk Radio), I am often pulled away to listen to XM. There is a wide selection of tastes and the quality of the sound is indeed impressive. I have the Bose unit and it sounds great. I like to listen to Fred or Ethel. (XM owners understand ;) )

i am one of the unfortunate people who do not have alot of stations to chose from. how about 2. and the third comes in with static depending on the part you happen to be in.
the XM gives me alternatives to these stations. i travel enough to where i also wanted to have stations a my disposal when traveling through other cities. for $9.99 a month it is well worth it to me. and yes i am a modder. this XM thing went from the FM modulated model, to the XM ready HU, with an IB bus cable, Coustic 10" sub, and Xtant 400HC amp. one thing led to another, and now i have XM with some nice bass and cool radio features. ;D

SoCalCindy said:
Variety! That's why I pay $10 bucks a month.

It's all conveniently broken down into categories 4 you.
Feel like listening to 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's... no problem.
Bored, want a quick laugh... tune to one of the comedy channels...
Wanna listen to old time radio classics, learn something new on the Discovery Channel...
The list goes on and on...
And what I really enjoy is... for the most part... No Commercials!

For as much time as we spend in the AV on the road...
it's definitly worth the money! Just my opinion. :)

I couldn't have said it better myself. Also is great to have radio in places where no terrestrial radio is avaiable, or if it is its not worth listening to. It was a dream out in the hinterlands of eastern Washington.

Top 10 reasons why XM is cool:

10. ?Commercial (or nearly so) free stations
?9. ?Their name:: ?"XM Radio". ?As hip as FM used
? ? ? to be.
?8. ?Variety of Formats. ?Music, Special Interests
? ? ? and news not available locally anywhere else in
? ? ? one place
?7. ?Signal Strength - Clear, static free sound no
? ? ? matter where I go. ?I live in the city, and the
? ? ? signal is stronger than the local stations.
?6. ?Depth of Music Library - I've heard songs
? ? ? that I haven't heard in years. ?Even the local 80s
? ? ? station seems to have a playlist limited to 40 or 50
? ? ? songs, whereas XM 80s on 8 plays everything. ?
? ? ? There is no way I could recreate such a library on
? ? ? my own without a ton of $$$ and time.
?5. ?Tailored musical tastes - For example, there
? ? ? are four jazz & blues channels, serving very specific
? ? ? listening tastes. ?I prefer C-Jazz (71) over Blues.
?4. ?XM Comedy (150) - George Carlin (among
others) make a great trip home after work to
decompress.
3. No commercials - on most channels. Yeah,
I know I already mentioned this, but it is worth
repeating
2. DJ's I can handle - At least on the channels I
listen to, they stay very much out of the way of
the music. Very little chatter.

And the number one reason XM is cool

1. It is in my AV!!! ;D ;D ;D

I was also suspicious of XM, could not understand the value. My Av came with XM, (was on the lot, had everything else I wanted, got a good deal). I did not even consider using the XM.

Then....the XM people called me, offered free usage for three months.

I am now hooked, for all the reasons stated in previous posts.

Also, living outside Hartford, CT....radio here SUCKS!!!

Let me throw my 0.02 in.

And I feel qualified to speak on the subject since I have XM and have had years of experience with an EMPEG hard-disk based player in my BMW. I had 60G worth of MP3s on tap. (Thats over 10,000 songs!) (That took 6 days to copy to the unit via ethernet!)

First, XM is NOT a replacement for MP3. However, for the sheer variety and fresh content, it's hard to beat. The problem with "loads 'o MP3s" is that you have to wade through all of the music- organize, etc. Once done, you have to be able to *find* the music and while driving, which isn't the safest thing to do. Usually what you end up doing is making a couple of playlists and listen to those all the time.

Its kinda like a 6-CD changer in the trunk- you load it and very rarely change the CDs because its a hassle. MP3 players are a hassle to keep fresh. Who wants to spend hours downloading music all the time to their car? I don't. Thats why XM is so cool. You get almost-CD quality sound and its fresh. Way worth 9.95/mo. And with it BUILT IN to the 03 stereo, its really a no-brainer.

It was quite a boon on my Portland trip.

-Ed

XM was the option I could have cared less about getting in my new AV. However, the only AV on the lot that had everything else I wanted, also had the XM.

Now, I am VERY happy that I did for all the reasons above.

I only listen to XM now. I drive from LA to Fresno,, now I can listen to the same channel all the way. It's the best thing to come along in years.

Back