• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

04 avy problems/ fixes update-97k miles

rockalanche

1.Repaired popping noise from frame - 20k miles. tightened bolts or something with rust proofing between frame
2. Repaired steering clicking noise- 20k miles.. do not know fix
3. Replaced fuel pump- 50k miles.  Truck hard to start
4. Replaced Instrument panel 50k miles. Clicking and noises from panel
5. replaced auto climate control module head and also all 3 position sensors on vents - 60k miles.System would go from normal temp control to FULL HEAT for no reason. had to turn off truck and restart to make it fix itself. This was intermittent problem and hard to find and fix. But position sensors on vents lost their positions was the ultimate resolution.
6. squeeky steering column - 50k miles. lubricated
7. whirring noise getting louder from rear end. Carrier bearing bad.- 97k miles. Will replace all bearings in read end- big job
8. water/ antifreeze leaking from Freeze plug (pressed in plug) on front of block.97k miles. Not sure how they will fix
9. Water pump leaking- 97k miles. will replace.
10. clicking from bottom of steering column 97k miles. Something with air bag sensor position. not sure how they fix.
11. squeeky sterring column again 97k miles.. Lube
All these items are covered under the extended warranty. But wow this is a lot of problems for a truck ridden on the interstate 75% of time and taken immaculate care of. Probably in the order of $6000 worth of repairs on a 4 year old, 97k miles truck! The 850 buckeroos ext warranty paid off

I have GM employee discount and have just recently bought a  "foreign designed car" for the first time in 21 years. At some Point GM just needs to get their act together and design cars with quality in mind or they will end up like chrysler.

hey that whirling noise you are talking about.,.. u said it was the carrier bearing?  Does the noise only show itself upon acceleration? or is it all the time?  I get my whirl noise on acel from 40-60mph

Carrier bearings are the ones for long drive lines that you find in the middle of a 2 or more piece drive line.  The bearings you are wanting are the differential bearings they do hold the differential carrier but they are not carrier bearings.  Some dealers and repair shops will just call them carrier bearings.  Go to an autopart store and see what they do if you ask for a carrier bearing.  (and dont just find the youngest and newest looking guy that cant tell a wrench from a #2 phillips)  I dont know about you  guys but If I have to replace Diff carrier bearings then I am going to also go after the pinion bearings as well. 

just my $.02

Massey

is it really bad to keep driving the truck with the issues with the rear diff having issues?? My truck is making that noise tight now but due to christmas i really dont have the $$$$$$$$$$$ to pay for the job. Thanks...I'm also having issues with the front diff too now.  :E:

Have to say this 04 Avalanche has been the most dependable car I have ever owned.
188.000 miles and only replaced the tires/ brakes/ batterie / transmission / and normal service. Pretty crazy for an American car.
But very thankful.
The engine still sounds great.  :eek:

i have an 04 z66. just up on 400,000 mi. orig suspension. most every thing is orig. am on 3rd trans. 1st went out 230,000. 2nd was a bad rebuild. lasted 100,000 had guage cluster rebuilt at 200,000 or so and antilock brake unit rebuilt around 250,000. it is a great truck. will buy another one.

Back