• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Durastop upgrade

DougD

SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
OK, since I'm the one that brought this particular possibility to light :)

I'll be trying it, on the fronts only for now, within the next week.  My 103K brakes are finally starting to get noisy and are looking a wee bit thin.

Front rotors are a touch over $100 each, slotted & drilled.  The matching ceramic pads are about $50 for the set.

Rear rotors is where it gets ugly.  325mm ones are around $130, the 330mm (likely what I have) are almost $170! each.

Pads are around $60 for the rear.

All totaled, this upgrade would run around 650 for the 330mm, 570 for the 325.  If these work as good as the ones I put on the Impala SS do, this will be one of the best bang for the buck upgrades, AND keeping it all GM.  Pads also carry a lifetime warranty, and I've used that on the Impala ones once (not for being worn out in total, just had a bad hose that was dragging a caliper and really wore out a side).

I'm not sure if the rotors carry a similar warranty, will find that out when mine arrive.

Details and pictures will accompany this when it happens.

Get to work lazy!

Can't "get to work" until goodies arrive.

Will these type of parts fit a cladded 03- Z71? I will need brakes soon an would like an upgrade also... :wave:

Web said:
Will these type of parts fit a cladded 03- Z71? I will need brakes soon an would like an upgrade also... :wave:

Brakes aren't different between WBH and cladded, so yes.

Brakes have arrived, will be picked up today.  Pics to follow once they are in my hands.

We've been waiting patiently ( 103K miles ) for you to try out this upgrade. Looking forward to your review.

Shayne

Web said:
Thanks... :wave:

done yet??? >:D

This may be tomorrow's project.  Son is out of school, so I'm somewhat trapped at home entertaining him :)

Seems like a great time to rip in to the truck.

CodeBlueEMT said:
We've been waiting patiently ( 103K miles ) for you to try out this upgrade. Looking forward to your review.

Shayne

Me too.

If I get half the benefit of having put these on the Impala, this is a no-brainer.  PRobably cheaper than regular replacements, too.

Of course I still need to do rears.

And here we have the rotors

Attachments

• IMG_3669_1.JPG
    IMG_3669_1.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 3,035
  • IMG_3670_2.JPG
    IMG_3670_2.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 3,017
And the pad kit, complete with hardware and a tiny packet of silicone lube.

Attachments

• IMG_3671_3.JPG
    IMG_3671_3.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 3,021
Tomorrow we shall have the install pics and completed results.

Should also point out that I'll likely die from this upgrade, as the rotors are made in China.  The pads are from the good old U.S. of A.  Handling the rotors, however, will likely kill me from an overdose of lead paint or something.

DougD said:
Should also point out that I'll likely die from this upgrade, as the rotors are made in China.? The pads are from the good old U.S. of A.? Handling the rotors, however, will likely kill me from an overdose of lead paint or something.

Only if you eat the paint chips!

Looking forward to the pics and write up..don't disappoint

Did you get new calipers or stock?

Before doing this please go test..

fill up truck..

find big place...

Get up to 60mph..
and slow to stop...

measure distance..

repeat few times to get good average..

then change out parts and repeat test..,

real world numbers.. or
do I need to call mythbusters to do this?

ygmn said:
Did you get new calipers or stock?

Before doing this please go test..

fill up truck..

find big place...

Get up to 60mph..
and slow to stop...

measure distance..

repeat few times to get good average..

then change out parts and repeat test..,

real world numbers.. or
do I need to call mythbusters to do this?

Call someone else.

I use a butt-o-meter for this kind of testing.

No new calipers, no need for them.

gotta love the delco stuff ,lifetime warranty on the pads & 12 months on the rotors.(nobody else will warranty drilled rotors for 12 mo. )

DougD said:
Should also point out that I'll likely die from this upgrade, as the rotors are made in China. The pads are from the good old U.S. of A. Handling the rotors, however, will likely kill me from an overdose of lead paint or something.

Maybe you'll get the GHB flavored rotors instead of the lead paint.

Ooooh!

I'm gonna go outside and lick them right now!  If I'm lucky, they also have toad juice on them.

how bout cop brakes part # fronts 2 or 4wd ATD785P, rears 2wd only ATD974AP.
apparently the police don't use 4wd tahoes.

Attachments

• FO3500PP-web.jpg
    FO3500PP-web.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 2,956
That's a ceramic pad.

Mine are ceramics.

DougD said:
Ooooh!

I'm gonna go outside and lick them right now!? If I'm lucky, they also have toad juice on them.

No matter how tasty they look, do not lick the rotors!

David

Back