• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Subthump Midgate install

mshagan

I just finished installing my new Subthump enclosure.  This is not a complete replacment but an enclosure that connects to the back of the factory midgate.  I took everything apart but did not have the tools to cut the opening myself.  The cuts must be presise and you have to cut through 3 layers to get the job done.  I took it to a locak shop and they cut the opening for me.  I the reasenbaled the midagat and replace the carpet.  Not real hard to do and sounds great.  What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,104
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,084
The rough opening can be filled with what they call the speaker hole enclosure.? I highly recommend this part as it helps to trim the rough cut out in the midgate.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,060
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,073
looks as good as the JL.. and I'm sure a whole lot less. Looks good. How does it sound?

(y) You know you'll have to give it a test drive Saturday@Wild Wings...I wanna hear it!!! I know you're glad to have your sub back...now you got subS!

(y) looks good dude :D

GREAT PICS, AND GOOD LOOKING INSTALL..  nicely done...  (y)

So, how hard is it to lay down the midgate with the sub enclosure there?  If I needed to use the longer bed with midgate down, is it hard to entirely remove the midgate?

Did you consider any of subthump's any other options, like the downfiring subs under the seats?

Just curious...

Looks good Viper! (y)  Saturday needs to hurry up and get here so I can see and hear that beast.

erickpl said:
So, how hard is it to lay down the midgate with the sub enclosure there?? If I needed to use the longer bed with midgate down, is it hard to entirely remove the midgate?

Did you consider any of subthump's any other options, like the downfiring subs under the seats?

Just curious...

Not hard to lay it down just a little heavier. ?The midgate is held in with 4 bolts. ?Not hard to remove but a little heavy for one person.

I thought about the downfire but I have to much under the seat now and it gets in the way when you fold the seat down.

NICE NICE REAL NICE? (y) (y)

I got a few questions viper:
1. Now that you cut the midgate... does it rattle when you drive thru rough terrain/bumps or when the bass kicks?
2. I have seen yours and another members same setup and I see the your cutout of the holes is excellent, however when I see the midgate complete with carpet, it seems that the circumference is kind of wavy... is this due to the carpet? how can that be rectified? or is it just the picture because I have noticed both of the setups the same way.

thanks in advance

dude, that kicks a$$...nice work!

GTO said:
NICE NICE REAL NICE? (y) (y)

I got a few questions viper:
1. Now that you cut the midgate... does it rattle when you drive thru rough terrain/bumps or when the bass kicks?
2. I have seen yours and another members same setup and I see the your cutout of the holes is excellent, however when I see the midgate complete with carpet, it seems that the circumference is kind of wavy... is this due to the carpet? how can that be rectified? or is it just the picture because I have noticed both of the setups the same way.

thanks in advance

No rattles at all.  Just as solid as ever.

The hole is very round.  I have never don anything like this before and did not pull the carpet hard enough to keep it good and round.  It looks worse in the pics than it is.  A little more work at stretching the carpet will correct this.

Back