• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Best Door Speakers For Avalanche

AJ_AVALANCHE

I WAS WONDERING WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST DOOR SPEAKERS TO REPLACE MY HORRIBLE FACTORY SPEAKERS IN THE AVALANCHE? I WOULD JUST LIKE TO REPLACE THE SPEAKERS WITHOUT DRILLING ANY EXTRA HOLES! ANY SUGGESTIONS! ?:B:

There are many more posts on this, I can tell you that I am going with the Alpine Type R Components for the front doors and the Alpine coxial's for the rear doors. ?Both of these are at 6.5" speakers!! ?There is a great say on e-bay!! ?Good place to look for discounted prices!! ?The other thing is to look on here for the instructions on how to take the door apart to install the new speakers!
These auctions end in the next day so act fast and save some money!!

Robert

Coxial Speaker link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18799&item=3001327761&rd=1

Component
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32819&item=3001327917&rd=1

This has been a heavily discussed issue...
You can search through some of the links here.
Or you will find a lot of info searching for "coaxials" or "components".

I myself feel the Pioneer REV coaxials will perform as good as components. You can check out some pics in my sig.

I am still open to this...I was thinking Infinity coaxials and components.....have heard very good things about them....I also like the Alpine goods also....I'm assuming that they all perform around the same.... :B:

Dave

I am assuming that you have an 02? I have an 03 with the Bose Speakers and they sound great.

If I didn't have the Bose already set up, I have always liked Infinity speakers.

Do you have to have components in the front or will regular 2 ways work because I feel that I have to much highs in the front and not enough in the back?

No, you can use coaxials in the front doors, and just leave the factory tweeters there, remove them, or hook them up to your new HU's power if you're going to use a seperate amp for the main speakers.

Personally I feel that certain quality coaxials are every bit as good as components.

Whatever speakers you choose they will sound better than the stock paper speaker. If you are not upgrading your deck I would stay away from expensive coaxials. Typically, the higher end speakers have bigger magnets and are thus require more power than your stock deck can provide. I would estimate a stock output of around 15watts rms, if that. Look for a speaker with a very low RMS power rating. Use the second number as a reference or what the speaker really should have going to it ex: "5-30watts" would be 30 watts. Also important is the speaker's sensitivity measured in db. Typically they will be between 86-92db. You want the highest sensitivity u can find, at least 90db.

If using the stock deck I would use Infinity Reference 652i Coaxials. They will sound great now and handle the power if you upgrade later. (y)

JMHO,

Rob

Do me a favor and run over your old speakers. Shame on you GM!!!!:7:

I will say that I have only had the time to do the rear speakers the Alpine type r-Coxials, found a great deal on e-bay for 99.00 You have to reverese the mounting ring which gives you the clearance of the window! I will say what a difference it made in just replaceing the rear speakers!! I have a friend that is helping me replace the front with componets type-r! I moving the tweater to the A-arm pillar! So I can not wait!! Just do it and you will not be sorry!!

Robert

I have MB Quart components in my Silverado and they are awesome!!!!

You can find them on ebay for a really good price.

Type R component front and Coax back. Sound very nice. Also have the Clarion subwoofer under rear seat. Much better than factory speakers.

I have the Jl Audio's in the front and back They have some of the best Mid bass you can find. I have been in car audio for 20 yr's. Give them some good CLEAN power
and you will not be sorry. Good luck.
Glenn (y)

T thought the stock speakers were not that bad.. :-[ :-[ I did change the HU and added an amp and sub. Have not done the speakers yet. My hearing is not as good as it should be.. I have lost high freq.

Gary

I have owned both Alpine and Infinity in other vehicles.
Both are great.

I chose MB Quart components this time because I liked them better when I heard them in the stereo shop.

RSC 216's
Only paid $130 a pair so I did both front and back.
(I know...I know..components in back = bad...but for that price I had to do it.) I tuned down the tweeters a little in the back with the built in crossover and it works well.

They really are something special...

Hey guys...
I'm stuck.... MB Quart's or Infinity Perfect Kappa's?

I've heard Infinity's and thats what I have in my home and have had before. But no one around here sells MB Quart's... so i'm looking for a little help from the mass of experts here at the homeplace for all that is the AVALANCHE.

So come on guys... lets hear it!

oh yea, and thanks :)

Cannon

Hey lets not forget about Kenwood.... I have them listed in my sig, but the weather here in Jersey has been less than favorable to work out doors.(YEAH YEAH, I have to work out doors) So, I waiting and hoping that next week the weather improves and I'm able to install my Kenwood Excelon KFC-Xr61p Dual mag Components in the front doors, and my Excelon KFC-Xr601 Coaxials in the rear doors. I have heard plenty of good things about the Dual mags and my past expierence with Kenwood has always been a good thing. I too bought mine off of Ebay along with my Kenwood HU for a great price. After pricing some local shops here in Jersey, I saved about $475.00 on the HU and speakers alone.

With either Infinity or MB Quart you will be a happy listener. I demoed both of these and for me the Infinity speakers are superior. I would find a competent car stereo store and listen to both. I even recommend bringing your favorite cd to listen to, so you have a better reference of what it should sound like.

-Rob

I think Infinity is the way for me to go too....

So, which Infinity's do I need in the front? and the rear?

I had this written down but lost my paper. Thanks again guys.

Cannon

from what I undestand go with the kappa coaxials in the rear..and the components up front.....or you could go with both co's in the front and rear...most feel that a good quality coaxial will sound just as good as a component.....system....

Dave

The components are definately they way to go up front unless you dont want to trash your original tweeter mounts. For my install i simply drilled out the stock tweeters and used the kappa's circular mounting system. The component tweeters can be aimed very precisely

I would use the coaxials in the rear. My 3-way kappas came with an external (for coaxials!!) crossover.

Cant wait to see what you do,

-Rob

HAS ANYONE TRIED REPLACING THE FACTORY BOSE SPEAKERS TO GET BETTER SOUND?

I HAVE ALWAYS HEARD THE BOSE SPEAKERS SOUND GOOD DUE TO THE SPEAKER HOUSING AND THAT THE SPEAKERS THEMSELVES ARE NOTHING SPECIAL.

I DO LIKE THE SOUND THEY PROVIDE BUT AM CURIOUS IF SOMETHING ELSE WOULD SOUND BETTER WITH THE FACTORY BOSE HU AND AMPS

I just got done ripping out more Bose SH.. From A H2 Hummer and put in A $15.000 sound and
video system. Bose could not even come close. Next week I am doing another GMC SUV with the Bose. Ripping out the whole system. The saying with Bose is if it has No highs and No Lows you
know it"s Bose. Bring your AV to me. I will build you a system that you will love. I've been doing
show cars and trucks for 18 yrs. I've done trucks for Sony, Mt dew and some sports and rap stars. I can keep it in your budgit or go all out just let me know...
Glenn (y)

NYCBlueZ71 said:
The components are definately they way to go up front unless you dont want to trash your original tweeter mounts. For my install i simply drilled out the stock tweeters and used the kappa's circular mounting system. The component tweeters can be aimed very precisely

I would use the coaxials in the rear. My 3-way kappas came with an external (for coaxials!!) crossover.

Cant wait to see what you do,

-Rob

I love my type R components, the only thing that I would recommend is to move the tweeter to the A Pillar on the front window! ?It is actually very easy, and man does it sound better when you get it away from the bass! ?The other thing that I had to do this weekend was to rip the the plastic liner inside of the doors off! ?I was getting one hell of a buzz on deep bass that we traced back to the plastic liner!! ?Now that I have the Type R speakers in it is time for the Head unit (Alpine 799:cool: and the Amp, and some brownbead!!

Rob

I thought the plastic liner was for water protection.

Isn't that an issue?

Let me know cause I get a buzz also sometimes but couldn't tell where it was coming from.

Back