• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

04 1500 4x4 - Improving Mileage/Performance

wjcollier07

Hey there all

Looking into improving mileage while gaining some performance as a side effect if possible.

I've been looking around at some mods that say they increase mileage.   Lets make or break some.

Jet Performance aftermarket MAF - claims to increase mileage & adds performance by supplementing other intake mods.

K&N CAI - I do know that cooler denser air can increase mileage as well as help performance.   I've seen it work on other cars, just don't know if anyone has ever seen an increase in even CITY mpgs from a CAI.

Magnaflow Catback - Now I know you can squeeze a little power out of some vehicles with an aftermarket catback and/or high flow cat but I'm not at all familiar with this application.

And from there, I'm completely open to any and all suggestions.   I currently, according to the DIC, average 13. 8-14.   I'd like to bring that up to somewhere around 15 if possible.   I'm not hard on the gas by any means.

Thanks for the help guys.

Do the CAI and exhaust, that will help the most. There are a lot of threads on mileage and performance on this site.

So is the MAF really worth it then? Seems like it would be, but who knows. CAI and exhaust is definitely on the list.

And thanks for the welcome. ;)

Also. . . could anyone give me an idea about how much power I can expect from these mods by mod?

Such as. . .

Intake & 180 stat - 10 hp
MAF - ? hp
Headers - ? hp
Catback & High Flow cats - ? hp
Jet Performance Stage 2 Chip - ? hp

or maybe just a general idea of what i'll have after all those mods have been completed.

Now are there any things like high ratio rockers out there for this engine? or maybe any other good mods out there that aren't INSANELY expensive?

My 04 1500 Z71 has 105k on it.  I just cleaned the MAF and throttle body - I've seen about a 1mpg increase.  DIC reading 17.2.

MAF cleaning can be found elsewhere, here's what I did for the throttle body:

Cleaning throttle body: 
Remove intake plastic between air cleaner and TB.
Pour some seafoam in a cup - hold open throttle body and scrub the black ring you see with a seafoam laden toothbrush (preferable not your personal toothbrush).
Scrub edges of butterfly also.
Use seafoam soaked paper towels to clean as much as you can reach.
Pour dirty cup of seafoam on unwanted weeds.
Get a small funnel about 10" long.
Position funnel so you can pour seafoam in it and it will land on the middle of the closed butterfly valve.
Start engine and pour about half a can there slowly - let sit for 5 minutes.
Start and enjoy smoothness.

There are other ways to apply seafoam that are much easier, but they don't clean the TB area.

wjcollier07 said:
So is the MAF really worth it then? Seems like it would be, but who knows. ?CAI and exhaust is definitely on the list.

And thanks for the welcome. ?;)
:welcome: to the club wjcollier07. If you are like most people after you do these mods you will notice a decrease in MPG because you will want to hear that nice deep growl when yo  :drive: . Once you settle in you should notice a modest MPG gain. I think you will get better than 15 Avg. You didn't mention how many miles you have on the AV, if it was tuned up, etc... That will also have an effect on MPG's

I've got a 2004 1500 Z71 with a lot of ponies that I broke 25,000 mi yesterday. Only runs on 93 oct

I'll quickly explain my story, I put gibson headers, cat back, k&n intake, JET chip, and a 160 deg therm.

When I punch it, I get about 9.9mpg.
When the chips tuned for gas, and on the highway Ive gotten 26mpg. (But its SO slow)
Daily driving, tuned for power, about 15mpg.

Doing headers and a cat back wont increase mpg.
Doing an intake and chip WILL increase mpg (you just cant step on it)

Even with 20,000 miles on it, I did a 100% fuel injection cleaning flush on it, and it made a fairly large increase to power, and mpgs.
Using seafoam also is a good choice.

So its your choice how you want to do things, I left the option open for full power, and decent gas with these choices. I hope I helped.

As far as the power:
K&N Intake: ~15hp
180 Stat: ~0hp
MAFS: ~ 5hp ... keep in mind...its $300..just as much as a chip, intake and many others.
Headers (Gibson): ~5-10hp
Cat Back (Gibson): ~5-10hp
Jet Performance Stage 2 Chip: Very hard question to answer. Stock? ~15-20hp, but every little thing you add on to the cars hp will increase more with the chip. With an intake, the engines working to its max potential so its sucking in more air, with a freeier flowing intake, it will increase the power more. Headers and cat back will increase because its working at max, therefore more exhaust gas moving more freely. I put a 160 deg stat in mine, but when it advances ignition timing, it ignites at the right time being at the right temp. MAFS is working with the chip to tell the ECU, more and cooler air is coming in, in which case to force more air in. I can safely say my JET Chip has contributed at least 30hp on top of my other mods.

So I would say, chip first, then intake, then thermostat...and whatever you like after.

Other mods to consider:
Ring and Pinion...I know for our trucks 4:56 gears are $488.00....slightly expensive.
I think there are rockers for our trucks, I'm not the best to ask about that...
Fuel injectors...larger ones will really increase your power! but kill your gas dramatically
Heads...a friend of a friend of mine put 6.0 corvette heads on his 5.3L Silverado, not too cheap but reasonable for a large hp dif.
and last, but not least...forced induction. I know many members have cold fusion nitrous...its cheap, and efficient. A whipple supercharger will make a MASSIVE difference, but very very expensive. Or an STS turbo will fit on an avalanche..

Well happy modding!  :B:

OK so I've learned a few things here. But I need more info. What do I clean my MAF with ( the link is down). Where do I buy this seafoam that is so often spoken about? Mine's an 04 / 5.3 / with 84k on it.

target, walmart, or any auto parts store..pref the auto stores..for the seafoam

MAF Sensor cleaning....

31HGKHY8AJL._AA280_.jpg

thanks , I'll get some of that real quick and get the garage warmed up so it isn't cold when I do this.

Whoops, sorry about the delay in response. Been QUITE busy.

Sounds good. I've had the truck for a little while now and haven't had enough free time to even THINK about modding.

31,250 miles is what the truck has on it right now. I just recently dumped some seafoam in the gas tank at a super weak concentration. (approx 1:16 dilution) Gonna do a major seafoam treatment when time allows.

Boy this DBW throttle  is sure something to get used to. It has so much LAG. I'm used to the instant on power of a cable direct TB. almost takes a little fun out of driving. :\ I nailed it today and couldn't even get a chirp. :\ I don't know if its TM or just that I have really good tires, but heh, I will just blame it on the DBW lag.

ChevySet: Thats some OUTSTANDING information. Thanks very much!

I would work at getting air in and out better frist.?

On dry pavement TM will pretty much stop you from "chirping".? ?The generals way to protect the drive train.?

And? :welcome:

Back