• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Considering XM Radio . . . U Might Want To Wait

Ironic_Masster

Hey AVers,

Just read an Article in Computer Shopper about Motorola's new Radio Chip. It's called the Symphony Digital Radio Chipset. The article is on page 154 of January's issue and it's called "The Hard Edge". Basically the article some it up that this chip will be easily installed and used with no payments for a service. Stations will broadcast as usual but seem Digital to the listener. You might want to check this out before committing. The article also seems to think this will kill Satelite-radio.

FYI,

IM

But does it allow for Commercial Free Broadcasts?
Digital Sound isn't the only thing offered, We get track title, artist, etc.

What about coast to coast coverage?

I drove from PA to TN and had all the same channels the whole way through?

jw

If I recall correctly this is the new digital system that just got aproved by the FCC. It's basicly your normal AM/FM stations with digital quality. I didn't buy my XM system just for the sound quality, I got it for less commercials, more stations, less talk on the way to work, national coverage. The new digital system offers none of this.

MNBLCKAV said:
If I recall correctly this is the new digital system that just got aproved by the FCC. It's basicly your normal AM/FM stations with digital quality. I didn't buy my XM system just for the sound quality, I got it for less commercials, more stations, less talk on the way to work, national coverage. The new digital system offers none of this.

what he said. i think the XM will still be better. i can not stand when i surf through the 3 stations of music i listen to here in Newport News only to get commercials on each one.
i was surfing oneday. only found commercials. then it hit me. :0: i am going to invest in XM radio. i bought it 3 days later, and never looked back. ;D

(y)

I hear ya'll about the no commercial thing . . . just thought I'd let my peeps know about it :B:

I personnally don't use the radio in the AV. I installed the 12 Disc CD changer with steering wheel controls and an RF adapter for my iPod ( hmm . . . I guess that means I do use the radio ;)

iPod holds about 900 songs and I have about 1100 CDs. Yes, my wife has already told me I'm out of control with the CD thing :cautious:

If she knew that I have about 1000 other albums in MP3s she'd really harass me :love:

Music Lover,

IM

PS I'd like to have the XM also just not willing to jump on board when the format is so unstable . . . the same reason I haven't purchased a DVD burner yet ( waiting for them to pick a standard, though that new Sony plays both standards . . . . >:D >:D >:D

I think you'd have a good shot with XM.

I mean you can order it with your new chevy now.

and Chevy seems to be pushing it pretty well.

just my 2c

jw

The only thing digital radio really offers from your local stations is better quality sound......you still have the same stations and the same range......so your fingers get sore from hitting the seek button..... >:D

The "this is going to kill satellite radio" mantra is coming from the Broacasters Association. Of course they are going to say that, just like the cable companies hammer DirecTV - they're afraid of satellite radio because of what it could do to advertising rate cards...

Chevy does seem to be pushing it quite a bit. My wife is looking for a new Tahoe or Yukon to replace the ShopQueen and there is a good mention of XM availablity. I'm waiting for a GM sixed radio that can scroll through the stations. I believe that XM will be just as popular as Direct TV in a few years.
Durwin

Full disclosure: I do part-time work in broadcast radio for locally-owned and operated stations. I have friends that work on both broadcast and satellite radio. That being said...

From what I have read, the Motorola Symphony system is a digital sound processing system designed to extract the most from an AM or FM broadcast signal. This is all processing done on the receiver side and I believe requires no changes on the transmit side. They are comparing themselves to satellite radio only in quality not in content. :)

There is also the IBOC system (or Ibiquity system) which is a change to the way the signal is transmitted. IBOC-AM is being tested now but there are a lot of issues surrounding it. Talking about IBOC is probably way beyond the scope of this forum!

In the bigger picture, XM or Sirius provide commercial-free listening and a common format across the country. If you travel a lot it probably makes sense. You pay for the commercial time in your subscription rate.

Broadcast radio, when done in a locally-oriented format has it's strengths. It provides a service to the local community by providing local news/weather/talk, etc. In return the station is funded by it's advertisers. Maybe being in the business makes me more sensitive to it but I enjoy listening to different stations as I travel from one place to another, getting the local flavor. When I get bored with that I listen to CDs or MP3s.

Frankly I think satellite impacts the larger broadcasters (Infinity, Clear Channel, etc.) since in some markets they are satellite broadcasters (they just up/downlink the programming from a central site to a local broadcast tower). There is a lot of backlash towards that type of programming because all you are getting is an XM-like program and all the commercials. As you may have guessed I am in the camp of the locally owned and operated stations... :)

Bottom line IMHO is there is room for both parties. Everyone has different tastes so I think they will co-exist for quite a while.

I hope it makes it!

I'm a convert myself, I said when I first heard about it that it wouldn't last.

Then I heard it at a race track info booth and was hooked from then on.

jw

ygmn said:
The only thing digital radio really offers from your local stations is better quality sound......you still have the same stations and the same range......so your fingers get sore from hitting the seek button..... >:D

YGMN,

According to the article the range will increase some. I don't see how, except on the receivers ability to aquire the signal better.

IM

Chief said:
The "this is going to kill satellite radio" mantra is coming from the Broacasters Association. ?Of course they are going to say that, just like the cable companies hammer DirecTV - they're afraid of satellite radio because of what it could do to advertising rate cards...

Chief,

I'd love to agree with ya ?:love: ?but, the article was in a Computer magazine and the info on the chip is from Motorola ( not that they wouldn't have a vested interest in bashing XM ).

IM

gojira-san,

Very informative. Thanks for your input.

IM

I don't believe that this has been covered previously..
Has anyone put a 2003 radio capable of XM into a 2001 or 2002 AV? If so, what is necessary to connect it? I think it should be very straight foward.
Durwin

It would seem to be an easy install assuming the radio is the same size as the 02 Av. Only factor would be the XM antenna install.

Man, i am enjoying all the information put forth. Santa is dropping off the new delphi system, I think he knows i already got the plug and play connector from Jason at JPcustoms. This thing is great.
It plugs into the back of your radio where my 12 disc factory changer is plugged in. the changer plugs into the PAC AAI-GM9 connector, then the Delphi plugs into the pac and still has one more set of RCA plugs which you can plug a DVD or MP3 player into. Once done, you have done away with an fm modulator and tied directlly into the back of the radio.
You have a 3 way switch mounted and you can go to aux. button on dash and switch from changer to xm to whatever else you hook up to it..........makes it really easy.
Thanks to MNINBLACK for the help finding this connector. Delphi has not come out with a modulator yet and this will be better as you will be tied directly into the radio..............Hurry up Santa, ready to peel the cladding off to install the antenna and hook it up
zeeyaaaaaaaaaaaa
anyone heard that sirus is in really bad shape, possibly going out, or is it rumor, circut city/best buy guys telling me to stay away from the sirus?????????

XM or Sirius is just one of those things that once you see/use it you can never go back. I sure hope they make it. I live in a major market (Chicago) and for a city with average commutes that are 1 to 2 hrs, you would think we would have something better on the FM dial. I got XM and the wife got Sirius, I can't go back!!! Please buy something. :)

I have both the XM and Sirius thanks to BLITZSAFE
I LOVE THEM BOTH who WANT TO HERE DIGITAL COMM. I HAVE 1500 CD'S AT HOME I HAVE NOT PLAYED ONE
IN THE PAST 7 MONTHS. IF I AM NOT WATCHING MOVIES IN MY TRUCK, I HAVE ON XM CH 27,168,8,OR 46
ON SIRIUS I HAVE ON 8,22,160 ETA comm free!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Back