• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Door Panel Removal Instructions!!!

C

carrerarod

I thought I would host & post links to instructions for removing both the front and rear door panels. These are merely scanned images of instructions Crutchfield gave me a while back.

Code:
[url=http://www.lanthier.biz/Shared/front-door-removal.jpg]Front Door Panel Removal[/url]
[url=http://www.lanthier.biz/Shared/rear-door-removal.jpg]Rear Door Panel Removal[/url]

Update 8/6/02

Our friend Jason @ www.jpcustoms.com has also documented the process here (requires MS Word):

Code:
[url=http://users2.ev1.net/~jpendlum/Web%20Pages/Door%20disassembly.doc]jpcustoms front door removal instructions (incl. pix)[/url]

I will keep this "sticky" for awhile since we have many new members modding their own truck!  >:D

Edit: These (Coded)  links are dead.

I wanted to add this to this thread for anyone changing out the door speakers that may have missed the discussion earlier:

Be sure to use speaker housings/baffles with your new speakers in the door panels. They will supposedly enhance the sound and reduce resonance, but the main reason is to protect your new investment from rain water.
I had never seen this before with any of my installs, but when I removed my factory speakers they were wet, and that's not a good thing. So for like $7/pair they are a wise investment.

One more thing:

When removing the speaker grille's, be sure to limit the amount of times you remove and re-install them. My tabs are very close to breaking and GM does not sell just the grille! You have to buy the entire door panel. If anyone else can find just the speaker grille's, let me know. I want some!

Wiki Someone on here stated they bought spares and were going to paint them a different color.....

try a search

That someone was me. That was a mod that went wrong. I was going to paint them to match. I was told wrong by my service manager and when I showed up to pick them up he said they came with the whole door panel only.

Bummer

Irontrain, that sounds like a good idea,but....
Your aftermarket speaker grills might be a very attractive sign that you have more than the stock set-up in your truck. I know many places in this country that have serious problems with stereo theft. Just my opinion, but I want to do as little as possible to attract attention to any stereo mods that I do. We all know that a good set-up can get expensive in a hurry, and fewer insurance companies are offering coverage for aftermarket electronics additions all the time. If this would not be a problem in your situation, mod on!! ;D

The problem with vinyl is it will obstruct the sound or at best distort it. if you really want to do a mod like this, locate yourself some fabric that will allow the sound the traverse. This is what I did in my home theater since the speakers are behind a wall and the walls are covered in fabric.

Take the material and hold it up to your mouth and blow to see if the air pass through with ease. Or even better talk through it will someone listens on the other side to see if the sound gets distorted.

carrerarod said:
The problem with vinyl is it will obstruct the sound or at best distort it. if you really want to do a mod like this, locate yourself some fabric that will allow the sound the traverse. This is what I did in my home theater since the speakers are behind a wall and the walls are covered in fabric.

Take the material and hold it up to your mouth and blow to see if the air pass through with ease. Or even better talk through it will someone listens on the other side to see if the sound gets distorted.
I think he was trying to cover the grill's as to not let sound through at all and then cut out another hole in the grill through the vinyl and mount the speakers that way.

I would not recomend this. Your speakers need to have a sturdy area to mount to. If mounted on the wire mesh, you will loose some of the low.

If you were talking about mounting in the original spot, covering the original grill with vinyl and cutting just the vinyl out under the new aftermarket grille mounted on top, that would still affect your sound quality. Alot of the sound would still get trapped behind the vinly.

I like the idea though, because now I am thinking of ways to do this mod. How about covering the existing speaker area with some fiberglass to sturdy it up some and then covering with vinyl. That might give you the stiffness you need to mount a speaker there. And then too, since you are lifting the speaker away from the door by about 3 inches, you can mount a larger speaker in that same position. Hhhhmmmmm

I have not tried a speaker baffle in the AV. In all my other vehicles, the speaker baffles were great. Tightens up the sound a bit and dampens the vibrations some too.

baffles will not give you much extra space. i think the only way to get what you want (if I understand) would be to keep the speakers in the original location. Lose the mesh cover on the door panel. create some kind of vinyl/fiberglass ring/skirt that would tie the door panel to the speaker mounted in the door. Its important for sound quality to keep the speakers on the door.

if you really don't want to keep the speakers on the door and mount them to the door panel, you will need to build some type of fiberglass baffle that can speaker the weight of the speaker and that would position the magnet of the speaker in the existing hole in the door so you can get the right clearance and still use the door as an enclosure. Just don't know if this would prevent you from easily taking the door panel on and off. that magnet is pretty strong and might create clearance problems....

interesting challenge for sure!

zimmsAV said:
I wanted to add this to this thread for anyone changing out the door speakers that may have missed the discussion earlier:

Be sure to use speaker housings/baffles with your new speakers in the door panels. ?They will supposedly enhance the sound and reduce resonance, but the main reason is to protect your new investment from rain water.
I had never seen this before with any of my installs, but when I removed my factory speakers they were wet, and that's not a good thing. ?So for like $7/pair they are a wise investment.
Where can I get the speaker housing baffles at. Can you post a link. thanks

Hmmm,
Rear door panel removal instructions gone...
Anyone got an updated link, it's the last piece of my stereo that needs to be done.

It not tough at all SimTech.

There's a little pod that pops out by your door handle, and a couple bolts around the outside of the panel, and then it just lifts off. But then you need to disconect the door panel entry lights and harnesses for locks/windows before removing completely.

There is no need to remove the manual lock switch on the panels before any other steps. They do not hold anything. Once you get the door panel off then you can even more easily remove them using your fingers not a screwdriver. Just push out on the backside. Just my 2 cents

Caution, 2003 correct door panel removal!

Read and search before I attempted to remove the door panels to upgrade the door handles. All the post for links to removal of the panels are dead. I read the post that had some info, but for the 2003 it is differant.

The back doors have a bolt at the bottom inside corner of the panel as well as one at the handle

The front doors have a bolt behind the lock button and at the door pull.
Beware, I did some damage to one panel not knowing about the bottom bolt on the rears.

mossman said:
Read and search before I attempted to remove the door panels to upgrade the door handles. All the post for links to removal of the panels are dead. I read the post that had some info, but for the 2003 it is differant.

The back doors have a bolt at the bottom inside corner of the panel as well as one at the handle

The front doors have a bolt behind the lock button and at the door pull.
Beware, I did some damage to one panel not knowing about the bottom bolt on the rears.

Mossman,

Thanks for the great update on the difference in the 03's.

You will find that all the links are working again, we had a short tem glitch due to the recent board conversion but all is fixed now thanks to the tireless work that gandolphxx does.

I am going to move your thread over into the existing door panel removal thread as it is important that we keep all this great information in one place. This will help all members when they are searching for advice / information.

Once again, thanks heaps for the update.

Skidd 7;)

Could someone Please help me with the Door Panel Removal links.  I have a 2002 Avalanche and I need to replace my speakers.  I can't get any of the links to work.

Please HELP!! :E:

cubby said:
Could someone Please help me with the Door Panel Removal links.? I have a 2002 Avalanche and I need to replace my speakers.? I can't get any of the links to work.

Please HELP!! :E:

Click here

I thought I would host & post links to instructions for removing both the front and rear door panels. These are merely scanned images of instructions Crutchfield gave me a while back.

Code:
[url=http://www.lanthier.biz/Shared/front-door-removal.jpg]Front Door Panel Removal[/url]
[url=http://www.lanthier.biz/Shared/rear-door-removal.jpg]Rear Door Panel Removal[/url]

Update 8/6/02

Our friend Jason @ www.jpcustoms.com has also documented the process here (requires MS Word):

Code:
[url=http://users2.ev1.net/~jpendlum/Web%20Pages/Door%20disassembly.doc]jpcustoms front door removal instructions (incl. pix)[/url]

I will keep this "sticky" for awhile since we have many new members modding their own truck! >:D

Edit: These (Coded) links are dead.
I don't know what to do with this code...clicking on it does nothing...copy and paste to the address field does nothing..is there a good ol' fashions link that could be used?...Thanks

I don't know what to do with this code...clicking on it does nothing...copy and paste to the address field does nothing..is there a good ol' fashions link that could be used?...Thanks

Each of the links in the post you referred to have been long since defunk and no longer work.

The original post was created way back in Aug 5, 2002 from a guest poster than did stay around over the years, either.

Last edited:
Back