• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Off-roading

JT

Charter Member
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
Looks like the closest park is a little over an hour away, unless some of you locals know of something closer. Any interest in this?? Had a great time at Wooly's at MCM. (y)

http://www.coalcreekohv.com/

1.   TheBeast
2.   SRFNSNO
3.   maverick1974
4.   james21
5.   Intimidatoruag
6.   Chopped_Burban/Spork_Driver
7.   amd1900mp
8.   Lord Aries
9.   02 Z71
10. DZ
11. zukracer

I've offroaded my Jeep at Windrock / Coal Creek.  LOTS of long dirty/dusty trails.  If you are looking for a nice dirt road run, it is great.  If you are wanting something challenging and risk breaking stuff, Windrock might be a bit of a letdown.  It DOES have a few challenging areas, but too few and far between for the harder core stuff.

Just my .02.

erickpl said:
I've offroaded my Jeep at Windrock / Coal Creek.? LOTS of long dirty/dusty trails.? If you are looking for a nice dirt road run, it is great.? If you are wanting something challenging and risk breaking stuff, Windrock might be a bit of a letdown.? It DOES have a few challenging areas, but too few and far between for the harder core stuff.

Just my .02.

Thanks, prolly not looking for anything too serious...I know most of us will have to drive our Av's home afterwards. Glad someone has had some experience at those sites though! We may need a guide if this becomes part of the plan at all.

You know I'm in for any offroading (y).

-James.

Most of CoalCreek/Windrock is a trail type system for the big trucks to go through to remove excavated dirt or coal or whatever they mine(d) there.

Most of the challenging stuff is off the beaten roads/trails so shouldn't pose a problem for those not wanting to damage their Avy.

I've only been the one time, but there ARE groups that have been there more than once who could probably provide better information.  I KNOW there are maps of the main trails available on some 4x4 sites.

TheBeast said:
Looks like the closest park in a little over an hour away, unless some of you locals know of something closer. Any interest in this?? Had a great time at Wooly's last time. (y)

http://www.coalcreekohv.com/
Can I ride with you again?  :B:

I forwarded Beast with some off-roading info right near the White water rafting. The guy I spoke with about the rafting told me about the roads. They can either be a guided tour he says the guy drives fast and there are some hefty verticals, or I am flirting? working on getting the maps. The guide also has a Hummer with stadium seating open back facing forward that will seat i think he said 9 0r 12 people , so if anyone wants to go and doesn't want to bring their AV ( that would be me ) thats a possible option? (y)

I'll let J.T take it from here and give him the website and other info that he may want.

Bee Sting said:
I forwarded Beast with some off-roading info right near the White water rafting. The guy I spoke with about the rafting told me about the roads. They can either be a guided tour he says the guy drives fast and there are some hefty verticals, or I am flirting? working on getting the maps. The guide also has a Hummer with stadium seating open back facing forward that will seat i think he said 9 0r 12 people , so if anyone wants to go and doesn't want to bring their AV ( that would be me ) thats a possible option? (y)

I'll let J.T take it from here and give him the website and other info that he may want.

I wasn't really planning any of this...just making suggestions. But let us know about the guide's info, especially if it's closer to the area. Thanks! (y)

Spork_Driver said:
Yet being the key word.? Though he has been doing enough talking about it.

Hopefully you guys come . It going to be a blast. Talked with the coordinator yesterday and the BBQ part sounds very very good, they also have a rock climbing wall at the site. (y) We can separate you 2 if need be? ?(y) ya know just to keep you safe . :eek:

Coal Creek looks like a great place to do some good play'n..  >:D

amd1900mp said:
Coal Creek looks like a great place to do some good play'n..  >:D

Define playing! :)  They have a LOT of long trails designed to carry those big ol' dump trucks full of earth/coal.  They have a few areas like rock gardens if you're into that rock crawling stuff, and will occasionally have a LOT of mud if it has rained recently.  if you take the right trails, you'll find nice streams, waterfalls, etc... :)

Bee Sting said:
Hopefully you guys come . It going to be a blast. Talked with the coordinator yesterday and the BBQ part sounds very very good, they also have a rock climbing wall at the site. (y) We can separate you 2 if need be? ?(y) ya know just to keep you safe . :eek:

Rock climbing wall??? Hmmmm, now THAT sounds like an offroading adventure. I've been dying to see what the winch will really do. Speaking of that, what else do we know so far about the off-road part of this thing?

Chopped_Burban said:
Rock climbing wall??? Hmmmm, now THAT sounds like an offroading adventure. I've been dying to see what the winch will really do. Speaking of that, what else do we know so far about the off-road part of this thing?

I sent The Beast the website address that was given to me . I really no nothing more . :dunno:

Back