Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 20  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermediate Steering Shaft Removal/Lube Kit Installation  (Read 226199 times)

DCRANER

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
Re: Intermediate Steering Shaft Removal/Lube Kit Installation
« Reply #100 on: 03/15/08 08:09 AM »

O/K, I have the lube kit and looking at my 03 Z71 I don't see how you lube this, unless once off / apart it is obvious.

The reason I mention this is at the same time I do this lube I am doing the power steering sensor, hope that name is right.  GM # 26104070.  I don't have the clunk in my steering, the lube is just a precaution, but I do have the steering pulling left & right at times, like you are getting into ruts in the road, I am told that problem is this sensor going bad.  It is supposed to go at the base of the shaft in the interior, so figured I would do the lube & sensor at the same time.

Any thoughts / opinions on this?
03 Z71, 3:73's, Arrival Blue, Charcoal Full Leather, Pers. Security, Driver Conv., Sunroof, Towing, XM Radio, Borla Duals, JBA Ceramic Headers, Volant, Magnacore Wires, Nelson Tune, Eibach 2" lowering springs in rear, ASA ll 20's w/ 305-50-20 Yokohama Geolanders, Baer Brake Upgrade, Westin Chrome Oval Step Bars, GM Mud Guards, GM Tent & Mattress, GM Front end & Hood Bra.

DougD

• CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member
  • So, didja?
« Reply #101 on: 03/15/08 04:09 PM »

O/K, I have the lube kit and looking at my 03 Z71 I don't see how you lube this, unless once off / apart it is obvious.

The reason I mention this is at the same time I do this lube I am doing the power steering sensor, hope that name is right.  GM # 26104070.  I don't have the clunk in my steering, the lube is just a precaution, but I do have the steering pulling left & right at times, like you are getting into ruts in the road, I am told that problem is this sensor going bad.  It is supposed to go at the base of the shaft in the interior, so figured I would do the lube & sensor at the same time.

Any thoughts / opinions on this?

Have you even LOOKED at this thread?
2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV & Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo & Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).

DCRANER

« Reply #102 on: 03/15/08 05:12 PM »

Have you even LOOKED at this thread?

Yes, I have LOOKED, my point was the steering sensor may be part of the odd feel in the steering, maybe the lube + the steering sensor is a good combination to do all at the same time.

So, I do appreciate your post / pictures, but "Have you LOOKED at my post"?  ::) :P :wave:
03 Z71, 3:73's, Arrival Blue, Charcoal Full Leather, Pers. Security, Driver Conv., Sunroof, Towing, XM Radio, Borla Duals, JBA Ceramic Headers, Volant, Magnacore Wires, Nelson Tune, Eibach 2" lowering springs in rear, ASA ll 20's w/ 305-50-20 Yokohama Geolanders, Baer Brake Upgrade, Westin Chrome Oval Step Bars, GM Mud Guards, GM Tent & Mattress, GM Front end & Hood Bra.

DougD

• So, didja?
« Reply #103 on: 03/15/08 05:56 PM »

Yes, I have LOOKED, my point was the steering sensor may be part of the odd feel in the steering, maybe the lube + the steering sensor is a good combination to do all at the same time.

So, I do appreciate your post / pictures, but "Have you LOOKED at my post"?  ::) :P :wave:

Wanna re-read this vital part of YOUR post?  "Gee, umm...how do I lube the shaft"  There are detailed pictures in the thread, so I'm thinking you DIDN'T look at it.

Either that, or your wording needs some review.
2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV & Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo & Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).

kebie05

« Reply #104 on: 03/15/08 08:26 PM »

does the steering wheel need to be in any certain position before i start undoing bolts to it?
02 Z71

Tango Chaser

• CAFCNA 2009 Supporting Member
« Reply #105 on: 03/15/08 08:31 PM »

does the steering wheel need to be in any certain position before i start undoing bolts to it?

Have the tires straight.  Use the seatbelt or a steering wheel locking pin to keep it from moving.
Wrapping the seatbelt around the steering will should be sufficient.

avi0922

« Reply #106 on: 03/15/08 09:33 PM »

i used the seatbelt it worked fine...although i dont know if you would need an alignment afterwards....and about the sensor, i wasnt told anything of this from the dealership all they said was about the shaft itself...and plus i always follow my motto  "if its not broke dont fix it..."
2004 Avalanche Z66 Ultimate Edition, Flowmaster 40 series exhaust, poweraide throttle body spacer, hyper blues(headlights, foglights)Alpine CDA-9887, Gibson GP129 headers......

kebie05

« Reply #107 on: 03/15/08 11:09 PM »

i was just curious about the steering wheel, because with them straight, it seems harder to get to the bolt under the dash. thanks guys.
02 Z71

DCRANER

« Reply #108 on: 03/16/08 05:01 AM »

Wanna re-read this vital part of YOUR post?  "Gee, umm...how do I lube the shaft"  There are detailed pictures in the thread, so I'm thinking you DIDN'T look at it.

Either that, or your wording needs some review.

Oh well, not to be a PITA here, but you left out my words "unless once apart it is obvious".  I meant in looking at the shaft while still on the truck I did not see an obvious lube point, so I asked what I thought was a simple question.  Your pictures are clear and very helpful, and since some have questioned about some trucks maybe having a different shaft I was trying to make sure before pulling the shaft off.

Have a good day & thanks for the helpful post.

DougD

• So, didja?
« Reply #109 on: 03/16/08 06:08 AM »

Oh well, not to be a PITA here, but you left out my words "unless once apart it is obvious".  I meant in looking at the shaft while still on the truck I did not see an obvious lube point, so I asked what I thought was a simple question.  Your pictures are clear and very helpful, and since some have questioned about some trucks maybe having a different shaft I was trying to make sure before pulling the shaft off.

Have a good day & thanks for the helpful post.

And again, had you READ the thread, LOOKED at the pictures, and even looked at the instructions in your kit, you'd see EXACTLY how to lube it - nothing that's not obvious in the process.

The instructions and thread detail how to lube the shaft, there should be no "gray area" about looking for some external lube point on the shaft ::)

DrX

« Reply #110 on: 03/16/08 07:04 AM »

i was just curious about the steering wheel, because with them straight, it seems harder to get to the bolt under the dash. thanks guys.

Remove the underhood bolt.  Remove the acelerator pedal assembly if applicable- as mentioned, a 1/4" drive with long extension and a universal joint makes this easy.  Then find the best position to work on the inner end and lock the wheel in that position.  It's just important that the wheel is not turned once the shaft is removed.  Slide the shaft toward the firewall to remove the inner end from the steering column.  Then pull the shaft through the firewall into the vehicle.
« Last Edit: 03/16/08 07:08 AM by DrX »
2004 Z71, Black, cladded, 2WD conversion, Twin Blown 429 LSX, 80E  with transbrake, B&M Megashifter, custom 14 bolt SF rear......<br />2014 Ram 2500, Cummins 6.7<br />2017 Camaro 2SS<br />Twins Vid

kebie05

« Reply #111 on: 03/16/08 11:47 AM »

just got done replacing it. was nothing to it. thanks guys for you help and answering all my questions. cant tell any diff right now. all my popping seems to come in the morning after it sets for a while, almost like it has to get cold or cooler for a while. i say i should know if it was fixed in a few days. so with the iss that i replaced, what is it about it or on it that usually starts popping? thanks again guys.
02 Z71

DougD

• So, didja?
« Reply #112 on: 03/16/08 05:07 PM »

Popping isn't the ISS, it's a body mount issue.  Search for popping and turning
2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&amp;N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV &amp; Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo &amp; Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).

kebie05

« Reply #113 on: 03/16/08 06:11 PM »

thats why i asked in my thread, and i got told several diff things by a copule of people and others who just wanna holler use the search button. that is why peole search and ask or vise versa. to check and double check before they waste their time and maoney like i apparently have. so how difficult is it to do the body mount?
02 Z71

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Teach your children well, they are the future.
    • Fcaebook
« Reply #114 on: 03/16/08 06:32 PM »

I just left my steering wheel alone, I found it was easier to remove the ISS if the steering wheel was free to move about. Just remember to look at the steering wheel to make sure it is straight when you line up the new ISS.
« Last Edit: 03/16/08 06:34 PM by Shanes 02 Avalanche »
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr

Sobchak19

• OVER THE LINE! Mark it 8, Dude......
Re: 1204907
« Reply #115 on: 03/18/08 09:25 AM »

This is kind of a popular question with alot of different answers.

What I've learned is, if your the orginal owner chances are pretty good that you can get it replaced from the dealer.

If your the 2nd owner (like I am) chances are your going to have to suck it up and pay for it.

But by all means call your dealer and ask, worst they can say is no.
  Wanted to give an update on what dealers may do regarding this issue:

Took mine to local dealer that I use for service in Northern Kentucky, and when I dropped it off I noted the TSB number along with the steering problem. When I called back they said they took care of the issue because GM was now covering that repair up to 60,000 miles. Take that for what it's worth. Oh, and I am the original ownder. Av has 32,000 miles and is an '04 Z66.

On a side note, I want to thank every one here for their constant source of information. As a collective, this is one fantastic little society. It's good to know that I have a single source to reference when I have an issue. Thanks to all. :thumbsup:
'04 Z66 Dark Blue Metallic

Terry44_Kelloggs

Re: 1204907
« Reply #116 on: 03/18/08 01:02 PM »

Thanks for the update.

Glad yours got fixed and now your cruising with out the dreaded CLUNK!
 :thumbsup:

Wanted to give an update on what dealers may do regarding this issue:

Took mine to local dealer that I use for service in Northern Kentucky, and when I dropped it off I noted the TSB number along with the steering problem. When I called back they said they took care of the issue because GM was now covering that repair up to 60,000 miles. Take that for what it's worth. Oh, and I am the original ownder. Av has 32,000 miles and is an '04 Z66.

On a side note, I want to thank every one here for their constant source of information. As a collective, this is one fantastic little society. It's good to know that I have a single source to reference when I have an issue. Thanks to all. :thumbsup:
Let's Go Mountaineers!!!

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Fcaebook
« Reply #117 on: 03/18/08 02:57 PM »

Glad to know you have a dealer who gives a dam. My local dealer sent me a free Lube, Oil and Filter for flat out lying to me about my tailgate latch. I think that is a bunch of crap. If they wanted to get mt business they should have offered to do my Gatorback or a tranny filter change. I traded my LOF to my hair cut person for a couple free hair cuts.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr

kebie05

« Reply #118 on: 03/21/08 07:58 PM »

well i drove the av today and turning out of my driveway, i heard the popping again. so what should my next step be? thanks...
02 Z71

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Fcaebook
« Reply #119 on: 03/21/08 08:14 PM »

well i drove the av today and turning out of my driveway, i heard the popping again. so what should my next step be? thanks...

When was the last time you lubed the front end? Also check you shock mounts, you could have a broken bushing. It is basically time to get the front of the Av up on stands and have a looks see. I know when I lubed my chassis after doing the ISS it felt a whole lot better and solid.

Good Luck
Shane
.....Abr

kebie05

« Reply #120 on: 03/21/08 08:18 PM »

i havent lubed the front end. i am guessing the guys at the oil change place might have done it though whn i went in about 3 or 4 weeks ago. do they usually lube that when doing oil change?
02 Z71

DrX

« Reply #121 on: 03/21/08 08:38 PM »

There are several possibilities.  Did you do a search on this site for "popping". 

Your steering shaft would have had to be replaced sooner or later.
Everyone got the bad shafts.  At least that is out of the way now.
2004 Z71, Black, cladded, 2WD conversion, Twin Blown 429 LSX, 80E  with transbrake, B&M Megashifter, custom 14 bolt SF rear......<br />2014 Ram 2500, Cummins 6.7<br />2017 Camaro 2SS<br />Twins Vid

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Fcaebook
« Reply #122 on: 03/21/08 08:55 PM »

i haven't lubed the front end. i am guessing the guys at the oil change place might have done it though when i went in about 3 or 4 weeks ago. do they usually lube that when doing oil change?

The answer to your question is NO. They do as little as they have to. They will charge you for it because you will never look to verify.
.....Abr

kebie05

« Reply #123 on: 03/21/08 09:07 PM »

so next time i go i need to make sure to tell them to lube the front end?
02 Z71

DougD

• So, didja?
« Reply #124 on: 03/22/08 05:47 AM »

It should be , as suggested
2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&amp;N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV &amp; Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo &amp; Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 20  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 24 queries.