Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermediate Steering Shaft Removal/Lube Kit Installation  (Read 229498 times)

arizona-dave

• CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member
  • You cannot lift the needy by pulling the top down
Re: Intermediate Steering Shaft Removal/Lube Kit Installation
« Reply #375 on: May 16, 2011, 02:17:44 AM »

I think Im gunna get the new OEM part. The Dorman shaft I installed a few months ago clicks like crazy when I drive on a mostly smooth surface. 2nd Dorman, same issue. Its now worse than the old factory shaft I pulled out.

Oh well.
STOLEN   -   07 Mystic Gold Loaded LTZ 4x4 - 6.0L with 4LE70 super duty tranny - from the Factory! Prem Sound & Nav, Rear DVD, and all the goodies. An upgrade from the 05, but I have to admit, the 05 seats were a tad more comfy and a little larger. Mods/Upgrades - MSD Super Wires, NGK Iridium, Billet Grill, Real HID Projector HL's w/Halo, 22" Liquid Metal Rims on Nittos, Z-71 skid plate kit.

Kamloops

• Joe Danger Extreme Sports
« Reply #376 on: July 1, 2011, 05:02:37 AM »

Amazon has the Dorman 425-176 Intermediate Steering Shaft for $39.78 & and ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
Cheapest I have seen it anywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q0K5SQ

arizona-dave

« Reply #377 on: July 1, 2011, 05:06:54 AM »

Im done with the Dormans. I know a lot of people have used them, but Ive managed to get two Duds in a row, and read a few other posts where the Dormans where extremely stiff to compress/extend (which is the ONLY movement an ISS is supposed to have)
Im Back to my Original OEM shaft which I saved. Its got less popping/play than the *new* Dorman.

There is another brand of ISS out there that is supposed to be good, but its in the $200 range. Someone mentioned it a few pages back.

:( with the Dorman  :(
STOLEN   -   07 Mystic Gold Loaded LTZ 4x4 - 6.0L with 4LE70 super duty tranny - from the Factory! Prem Sound & Nav, Rear DVD, and all the goodies. An upgrade from the 05, but I have to admit, the 05 seats were a tad more comfy and a little larger. Mods/Upgrades - MSD Super Wires, NGK Iridium, Billet Grill, Real HID Projector HL's w/Halo, 22" Liquid Metal Rims on Nittos, Z-71 skid plate kit.

Kamloops

• Joe Danger Extreme Sports
« Reply #378 on: July 1, 2011, 05:15:12 AM »

I have replaced mine once with a Dorman - 06/25/09. So it has lasted for 2 years which is not great. Its only starting to have that loose feeling so very little. I will try another Dorman and see how it goes. May try the Silicone trick on the old one first.

arizona-dave

« Reply #379 on: July 1, 2011, 05:30:31 AM »

You got better luck than me. My first Dorman made a loud popping sound from the day I installed it. It was just too stiff and was putting pressure on the steering wheel and steering gear house.

The second one was fine for about 1 month then started popping. Now I feel the slight clunk thru the pedals when going over small bumps, etc.

Its frustrating for sure. Why the Original ISS's fail so much is also stupid, but my original really isnt that bad, its better than my second Dorman.

The entire purpose of an ISS is to allow in-out movement between the steering column and the Chassis suspension/steering gearbox. That gear box moves up and down with the front suspension...so when you get an ISS that wont move in/out easily, it defeats the purpose, and places a large amount of stress and force to the steering column and Steering wheel assembly.

The most common cause of ISS failure is lateral movement of the shaft, where is wobbles in the shaft, which causes the loose steering feeling and also causes popping/clunking especially when at stop lights pressing and depressing the brake pedal.

I took my new dorman out a month-1/2 ago and it was still binding up going in and out, so I lubed it up hoping it would make it better and it hasnt. So when I get unlazy I plan on sticking the old OEM back in.

I have replaced mine once with a Dorman - 06/25/09. So it has lasted for 2 years which is not great. Its only starting to have that loose feeling so very little. I will try another Dorman and see how it goes. May try the Silicone trick on the old one first.

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Teach your children well, they are the future.
    • Fcaebook
« Reply #380 on: July 1, 2011, 07:20:47 AM »

I must be one of the lucky ones. My Dorman has been in for a lot of years with no issues.  But when I got mine it was not stiff or real hard to
push in and out.
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr

arizona-dave

« Reply #381 on: July 1, 2011, 09:02:30 AM »

Hey there Shanes02 - I think I remember talking to you about that a while back...your still going well I assume?

I wonder if they changed factories or something from a few years ago? The area where both of mine bind up is where the blue plastic coating on the inner shaft is coated. I worked the second one in/out for over 1-hour before installing, it was still very stiff to move. I was hoping installing it for a few months would wear it in, but it actually gotten worse.
 Ah well, cant win em  all.

I must be one of the lucky ones. My Dorman has been in for a lot of years with no issues.  But when I got mine it was not stiff or real hard to
push in and out.

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #382 on: July 1, 2011, 09:28:27 AM »

My Dorman has been the best thing that Ive ever done to my truck.

Now I got to figure out where the clunking is coming from when my truck upshifts. Doesnt do it when I am on itm just when Im feathering it like I normally do. Pisses me off. I already replaced the ujoints.

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4x4

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Fcaebook
« Reply #383 on: July 1, 2011, 10:00:42 AM »

Mine does that also from first to second when you are just almost coasting. I thought it was my Hypertech to I removed it but that did not help. So I just installed it again. It does drive you nuts. I took my tranny in for its regular service and had them check it to see if it was the problem. They checked everything from the Tranny to the rearend and nothing is lose or wrong.
So basically they could not find anything either. They thing it might just be the way the tranny shifts with a more positive clutch instead of the older slip style.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #384 on: July 1, 2011, 10:04:13 AM »

Well, Im thinking about selling my Avalanche and if someone were to test drive it and they hear that clunk, theyre gonna think something is wrong with it. It pisses me off so bad.

arizona-dave

« Reply #385 on: July 5, 2011, 08:46:01 AM »

So this clunk your having is only when downshifting?

Reason I ask, is my Dorman ISS is the source of clunking I can feel in the pedals and steering wheel. The previous Dorman was Clunking and popping loud, this one is mild, and I only feel it at slow speeds, or when stopped at a light and press the brakes.

Its possible its the ISS - did you have the clunking before you switched the ISS ?

Well, Im thinking about selling my Avalanche and if someone were to test drive it and they hear that clunk, theyre gonna think something is wrong with it. It pisses me off so bad.

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #386 on: July 5, 2011, 09:46:26 AM »

It does it during upshifts, 2-3 upshift. I went to a local tranny shop and had the owner drive it and he said its 100% normal. So whatever. I guess I'll live with it.

Its not coming from the front or ISS. I know what that sounds like cause I dealt with it before. Its coming from the rear.

arizona-dave

« Reply #387 on: July 5, 2011, 09:53:56 AM »

Damn, thats too bad. I have a 4x4 Z71 and I dont get any upshift clunking at all. I dont know what would be "normal" about it...if its bad enough to bother you then it must be fairly hard clunking.

It does it during upshifts, 2-3 upshift. I went to a local tranny shop and had the owner drive it and he said its 100% normal. So whatever. I guess I'll live with it.

Its not coming from the front or ISS. I know what that sounds like cause I dealt with it before. Its coming from the rear.

BCmountaineer

• CAFCNA 2012 Supporting Member
    • CarDomain
« Reply #388 on: July 5, 2011, 10:09:39 AM »

Wowo i swear i have been trying to deal with the same clunk for the longest time.  The sound is obviously either tranny or rearend, and i have done everything short of rebuilding in an attempt to troubleshoot it.  I'm not willing to pay lots of money in hope to fix this noise, especially considering i have not noticed any performance negatives.  But its not in my blood to just ignore a problem.  ARGH the awful question of money now for potential fix or potentially more money later because multiple things have broken due to disrepair.
2004 Avalanche 1500 Z71 WBH: Factory BOSE Sound System, GM Bug/Rain Guards, GM Side steps, Amber DRLs, K&N CAI/FIPK, Dual Electric Fan Conversion...

Region VI - Vancouver, British Columbia

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #389 on: July 5, 2011, 10:13:51 AM »

IVe googled the symptoms on the internet and there are thousands with the same noise with no solutions.

I too cant stand it when something doesnt sound right or if I have a dash light on. I get my poop fixed right away. But this is out of my hands now. I dont know what to do and maybe Im just making a bigger deal out of it then it needs to be. Who knows.

arizona-dave

« Reply #390 on: July 5, 2011, 10:27:31 AM »

How long has your truck made this sound? What mileage did it start? Do you have 4x4 ?

Its possible it has something to do with the driveshaft going in-out of the tranny just barely..?

Can you force it to make the sound by putting it in and out of gear while not moving or is this strictly when the truck is at speed?

IVe googled the symptoms on the internet and there are thousands with the same noise with no solutions.

I too cant stand it when something doesnt sound right or if I have a dash light on. I get my poop fixed right away. But this is out of my hands now. I dont know what to do and maybe Im just making a bigger deal out of it then it needs to be. Who knows.

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #391 on: July 5, 2011, 10:30:44 AM »

Ive only noticed it for a couple of weeks now. HAs 113k miles. I lubed the hell out of the slip yoke. It only does it at speeds. Around 15 mph and only if Im feathering the throttle not when I get on it at all.

The tranny shop said its mostly likely stuff just stretched out from age and theres nothing that can be done.

MEDICO

• CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member
  • Dad's Toy
« Reply #392 on: July 5, 2011, 13:11:42 PM »

Take the shaft off the truck... Drill/tap a hole on both moveable parts of the shaft... install grease fittings, reinstall the shaft , using a grease gun, lube the shaft vis the two new grease fittings with white lithium grease... havent had a problem since I did mine yrs ago
02 Z66 Pewter w/Cladding. Amber DRL's, K&N CAI, Cat Back Flowmaster Series 50 w/ stainless pipes, Hypertech program, Hi/Lo Piaa's, Billet Grill overlay, All 4 on w/DRL & Fogs, Enkei's Fender Flares, LOF,.All  All 4brake on, TOC, Tranny Servo, GATORBACKED, Cargo bed switch, TRAIN HORNS Strobes, Red Neon Glow., Crome Westin BullBar w/ Piaa 520's, SS Nerf bars.. More to follow

arizona-dave

« Reply #393 on: July 6, 2011, 02:05:25 AM »

Did you do this to the OEM factory ISS ?

Take the shaft off the truck... Drill/tap a hole on both moveable parts of the shaft... install grease fittings, reinstall the shaft , using a grease gun, lube the shaft vis the two new grease fittings with white lithium grease... havent had a problem since I did mine yrs ago

arizona-dave

« Reply #394 on: July 6, 2011, 06:32:38 AM »

Hmmm...If its happening only when your feathering the throttle then it should also do it when your not moving at a stop-light.

If it does, you could troubleshoot the sound with the help of another person by putting on the Park Brake and using wheel stops, and crawl under there while someone else put it between neutral and drive.

I troubleshoot a similar sound on my Gs300 a few years ago and found the drive-shaft intermediate bearing bolt was loose. I dont know if these Avalanches have an intermediate bearing, I havent looked. but may be worth a try.

Ive only noticed it for a couple of weeks now. HAs 113k miles. I lubed the hell out of the slip yoke. It only does it at speeds. Around 15 mph and only if Im feathering the throttle not when I get on it at all.

The tranny shop said its mostly likely stuff just stretched out from age and theres nothing that can be done.

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Fcaebook
« Reply #395 on: July 6, 2011, 15:56:37 PM »

I was told from my tranny guy in Idaho a few years back that the tranny has a posi-lock system. And when you are going slow in first the tranny basically slams into second. It has something to do with the clutches in the transmission. It is not hurting anything and is normal on all 4L60 Transmissions. It is like the oil consumptions on all LS series engines. Just another GM thing.
.....Abr

arizona-dave

« Reply #396 on: July 7, 2011, 02:50:27 AM »

But his noise started at 113K miles, so it seems like a newer issue creeping up.

Im wondering if there is a sticky solenoid or gunk inside the valve-body in the tranny that is making it shift a little harder than normal causing the clunk?

Maybe do a full Tranny flush, all 12-15 Quarts of Tranny fluid rather than the normal 4-5 qt pan drain...?

I was told from my tranny guy in Idaho a few years back that the tranny has a posi-lock system. And when you are going slow in first the tranny basically slams into second. It has something to do with the clutches in the transmission. It is not hurting anything and is normal on all 4L60 Transmissions. It is like the oil consumptions on all LS series engines. Just another GM thing.

mountainstoner

« Reply #397 on: July 12, 2011, 14:54:46 PM »

I replaced my intermediate steering shaft this weekend with the updated GM part, bought from GMPartsDirect.com.  Really easy repair.  I removed the three 10mm nuts on the 'boot' and pulled the shaft out into the engine compartment.  Whole job only took about 25 mins, and the clunk is gone.
05 Avalanche 2500 4x4

arizona-dave

« Reply #398 on: July 13, 2011, 05:11:51 AM »

Im thinking of going the updated GM rout as well, how much was it?

I replaced my intermediate steering shaft this weekend with the updated GM part, bought from GMPartsDirect.com.  Really easy repair.  I removed the three 10mm nuts on the 'boot' and pulled the shaft out into the engine compartment.  Whole job only took about 25 mins, and the clunk is gone.

mountainstoner

« Reply #399 on: July 13, 2011, 14:48:18 PM »

Im thinking of going the updated GM rout as well, how much was it?

$54 + $13 shipping (all the way across the country).  Well worth it, especially considering how easy it is to replace.
05 Avalanche 2500 4x4
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 24 queries.