Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermediate Steering Shaft Removal/Lube Kit Installation  (Read 226297 times)

JonnyBlaze

Re: Intermediate Steering Shaft Removal/Lube Kit Installation
« Reply #400 on: 07/13/11 03:01 PM »

I heard a clunk when I slowed down real quick the other day while the tranny was downshifting. And it did it while I was turning on my road too.

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4x4

arizona-dave

• CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member
  • You cannot lift the needy by pulling the top down
« Reply #401 on: 07/14/11 02:02 AM »

Generally the ISS shaft will cause a low-key subtle constant "popping/light clunking" feeling in the brake and accel pedals and the steering wheel. Not a large or loud clunk. Also, generally a bad ISS is felt on smoother surfaces where the slightest uneveness or pebble on the road causes the ISS to pop or clunk...on rougher surfaces the rest of the vibrations overpower the ISS.

A really really bad ISS could clunk loud, but at that point your steering would feel completely messed up.

Hope this helps a little bit, I read somewhere on a different thread of a clunking sound coming from the Rear-End or Tranny upon Upshift and the members were told it was "normal" from both GM and non GM tranny techs, if your clunk was pretty loud it could have been a semi-loose suspension or tranny part settling or could indicate a drive-line or tranny issue.

I heard a clunk when I slowed down real quick the other day while the tranny was downshifting. And it did it while I was turning on my road too.
STOLEN   -   07 Mystic Gold Loaded LTZ 4x4 - 6.0L with 4LE70 super duty tranny - from the Factory! Prem Sound & Nav, Rear DVD, and all the goodies. An upgrade from the 05, but I have to admit, the 05 seats were a tad more comfy and a little larger. Mods/Upgrades - MSD Super Wires, NGK Iridium, Billet Grill, Real HID Projector HL's w/Halo, 22" Liquid Metal Rims on Nittos, Z-71 skid plate kit.

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #402 on: 07/15/11 07:42 AM »

I went back to my mechanic today and he crawled under it agian and said that my spider gears have some play in them. He mimicked the sound I was hearing while he was under there.

So I ordered a spider gear kit and he'll fix them next week whenever the parts come in.

Anyone know what gear oil I need and how much?

LornesAV

• CAFCNA 2012 Premium Member
« Reply #403 on: 08/07/11 12:49 PM »

I am curious to see if this is my steering play problem. Mine is 08 but I can see GM using the same shaft after all not everyone keeps their vehicles that long. So the U joint on the shaft could also cause the play.
Has anyone looked under the rubber boot as you get closer to the rack? I figure there are more U joints under there.
2008 Z71

jimmypsp700

• 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 1500
    • My PhotoBucket
« Reply #404 on: 10/20/11 11:09 AM »

It does it during upshifts, 2-3 upshift. I went to a local tranny shop and had the owner drive it and he said its 100% normal. So whatever. I guess I'll live with it.

Its not coming from the front or ISS. I know what that sounds like cause I dealt with it before. Its coming from the rear.

Mine does that too, there is play in the rear of the transaxle if you get under there and grab ahold of it and I thought it was that but is the rear end I believe.
'16 GMC Sierra All Terrain
'04 Chevy Av Z71 1500 sold
'90 Chevy Vette L98 TPI
'15 Polaris Sportsman 1000
'14 Polaris RZR 900XP
'00 Polaris Scrambler 400 2x4
'02 Triton SL8 ATV Trailer
'94 Sierra 32' TT

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #405 on: 10/20/11 11:22 AM »

I had the spider gears and both rear axle bearings and seals done. Still does it.

Yesturday I had the GM Dealership flush the transmission for $165.00. I called them and described my problem and they told me to get the tranny flushed. So I did, and it still does it. Im thinking its got to be in the transfer case... I dont know. I want to sell it but who is goingto by a truck that clunks when it shifts??? :(

jimmypsp700

• My PhotoBucket
« Reply #406 on: 10/20/11 11:29 AM »

Mine dont do it all the time, some might not notice but if you come to a fast stop at a light and then let off the brake and creap forward does it clunk?  Thats the brakes relaesing or the rear end which is normal (so i hear).  The rear is a locker and i think thats why it makes nioises
'90 Chevy Vette L98 TPI
'14 Polaris RZR 900XP
'94 Sierra 32' TT

jimmypsp700

• My PhotoBucket
« Reply #407 on: 10/20/11 11:32 AM »

My ISS is however a PITA!  This may cost a sale.  I hate that,  GM should be ashamed!
'90 Chevy Vette L98 TPI
'14 Polaris RZR 900XP
'94 Sierra 32' TT

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #408 on: 10/20/11 11:33 AM »

Yeah, mine doent do it all the time. I mostly notice it after Ive come to a full stop. But then again, it does it when I just slow down and dont stop too. Not all the time though.

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #409 on: 10/20/11 11:35 AM »

My ISS is however a PITA!  This may cost a sale.  I hate that,  GM should be ashamed!
Lol, its a >$50 part and take 20 minutes to install. Why dont you fix it? Easiest repair Ive done so far.

jimmypsp700

• My PhotoBucket
« Reply #410 on: 10/20/11 11:43 AM »

I did the lube, what part?
'90 Chevy Vette L98 TPI
'14 Polaris RZR 900XP
'94 Sierra 32' TT

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #411 on: 10/20/11 11:45 AM »

Lol. The ISS itself.

jimmypsp700

• My PhotoBucket
« Reply #412 on: 10/20/11 11:50 AM »

The part is only $50 from GM? And i paid more for the lube kit??
Do you have part number or the link that explains this?  I haven't been around here for awhile....
'90 Chevy Vette L98 TPI
'14 Polaris RZR 900XP
'94 Sierra 32' TT

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #413 on: 10/20/11 12:00 PM »

The part is only $50 from GM? And i paid more for the lube kit??
Do you have part number or the link that explains this?  I haven't been around here for awhile....
I dont know what GM charges, I got mine off of Amazon.com or rockauto.com or maybe ebay. It was only like $45.00 shipped. Best investment to date. Read this thread. Or I think I might have made a thread about it. Or its in this thread. Lol. Been a few months. My long term memory is toast. You paid $50 + for grease???  :o Get the new ISS. Lol. And make sure its the UPDATED version. I think mine was made by Dorman. LOVE IT!  :thumbsup:

jimmypsp700

• My PhotoBucket
« Reply #414 on: 10/20/11 12:11 PM »

I seen that.  ArizonaDave said he got two bad ones.
'90 Chevy Vette L98 TPI
'14 Polaris RZR 900XP
'94 Sierra 32' TT

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #415 on: 10/20/11 12:25 PM »

Havent had any problems with mine.

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Teach your children well, they are the future.
    • Fcaebook
« Reply #416 on: 10/20/11 01:17 PM »

I have bought 2 Dormans from Summit racing with no issues what so ever. I have heard of some people having issues with theirs. I know Summit will refund or exchange.
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr

arizona-dave

« Reply #417 on: 10/21/11 06:20 AM »

I tried 2 Dormans. Both were very stiff and wouldnt move in/out freely.

I put my OEM ISS shaft back in several months ago, been fine since. Summit will refund, but I just got tired after 2 bad ones. a few other people got bad ones, but most people get good ones. The only thing I chuckle at is Shanes02 has ordered 2 from Summit...if the first as good, why the second? LOL  :4: I know...Evil, but funny.

My OEM barely makes movement, and its U-Joint is perfect, I only feel the slight clunking while at a stop light letting on/off the brake pedal, other than that my Original ISS is good. Ive driven trucks and cars with bad ISS shafts, so I know when they really go bad how they feel.

In my case, both Dormans clunked, popped and felt far worse than my factory, so im just lucky with a good

I seen that.  ArizonaDave said he got two bad ones.
STOLEN   -   07 Mystic Gold Loaded LTZ 4x4 - 6.0L with 4LE70 super duty tranny - from the Factory! Prem Sound & Nav, Rear DVD, and all the goodies. An upgrade from the 05, but I have to admit, the 05 seats were a tad more comfy and a little larger. Mods/Upgrades - MSD Super Wires, NGK Iridium, Billet Grill, Real HID Projector HL's w/Halo, 22" Liquid Metal Rims on Nittos, Z-71 skid plate kit.

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Teach your children well, they are the future.
    • Fcaebook
« Reply #418 on: 10/21/11 06:33 AM »

The main reason us I am a nut when it comes to maintainance. I still have the new one on my work bench. Just ask anyone who knows me. I have 5 oil filters in my garage and 6 gallons of oil. I evan have a spare set of shocks and an extra rear window.
I am one of those people who is over prepared. It does drive my wife insane but she is also glad that she always has a reliable vehicle.
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr

arizona-dave

« Reply #419 on: 10/21/11 06:39 AM »

Sounds like my garage! LOL Every damned time I throw something away, I need it a week later. Dont throw it away and it sits there for years!

The main reason us I am a nut when it comes to maintainance. I still have the new one on my work bench. Just ask anyone who knows me. I have 5 oil filters in my garage and 6 gallons of oil. I evan have a spare set of shocks and an extra rear window.
I am one of those people who is over prepared. It does drive my wife insane but she is also glad that she always has a reliable vehicle.

LornesAV

« Reply #420 on: 10/25/11 12:40 PM »

I don't know what the intermediate shaft consist of but I believe the complete. System was changed on mine OEM. I have a very tight steering wheel now, but and a big one at that. I was all over the highway with the wind today. At some points it seemed worse than before I had it changed. Mine shaft would twist but the wheels would not move. I watched other on the road and I did not notice anyone loosing it as bad as me. I don't know what should be checked next.
2008 Z71

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #421 on: 10/25/11 12:57 PM »

I don't know what the intermediate shaft consist of but I believe the complete. System was changed on mine OEM. I have a very tight steering wheel now, but and a big one at that. I was all over the highway with the wind today. At some points it seemed worse than before I had it changed. Mine shaft would twist but the wheels would not move. I watched other on the road and I did not notice anyone loosing it as bad as me. I don't know what should be checked next.
Your problem sounds like either idler arm, pitman arm, or tied rods. Our a combination of the three. A bad ISS wont cause it to be all over the road.

LornesAV

« Reply #422 on: 10/25/11 01:01 PM »

Your problem sounds like either idler arm, pitman arm, or tied rods. Our a combination of the three. A bad ISS wont cause it to be all over the road.

Any chance it could be sway bar. I had to tight up the end links this weekend. The alignment to the sway bar slot is not exactly straight. Could give a brief explanation of what each does I suppose I could just google them.
The dealership also changed a control arm, but I don't think they actually know what to do.
« Last Edit: 10/26/11 03:22 PM by LornesAV »
2008 Z71

jimmypsp700

• My PhotoBucket
« Reply #423 on: 10/25/11 01:05 PM »

My truck seams to catch wind and be all over the road a lot too when its windy out, more so than other vehicles.  I figured it was the tall profile.  I'll have that all checked out by a shop as i will need new tires and an alignment soon.
'90 Chevy Vette L98 TPI
'14 Polaris RZR 900XP
'94 Sierra 32' TT

LornesAV

« Reply #424 on: 10/25/11 01:16 PM »

So I have googled the 3 possibilities you listed. I have had multiple alignments with three different shops. Everyone of them suggest no problems. Even the dealership performed one today. I have and continue to have uneven tire wear. I used to wear the inside now I think it outside. Feathering in each case. The time before last rotate I had them flip the tire on the rim to get more mileage out of them. No noise for quite a few thousand miles. This rotate the noise is back and that was right after the rotate and hitting the highway. I love this truck but with this issue and the oil loss I might have to take a hit and trade it in. Unless you guys can help.
2008 Z71
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 24 queries.