Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19] 20  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermediate Steering Shaft Removal/Lube Kit Installation  (Read 226298 times)

arizona-dave

• CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member
  • You cannot lift the needy by pulling the top down
Re: Intermediate Steering Shaft Removal/Lube Kit Installation
« Reply #450 on: 10/28/11 03:53 AM »

About the clunking: There are 4 types of clunks that can come from the ISS, mine was not due to a loose ISS, both ends were very tight. Ive replaced ISS's in several makes and models and one of the most typical symptoms of a bad/worn ISS is clunking felt in the pedals &/or steering wheel (sometimes able to hear a faint popping sound with the clunk feeling) while at a stop light or driving slowly and letting on/off the brake pedal, as well as feeling that same clunk when driving on smooth pavement.

Clunk Type 1) Most common: Due to inner shaft having play to the outer shaft, in essence the inner shaft is able to wobble side-side (lateral play movement). It required very little play to create this clunking. The shafts are only supposed to move in-out, not side-side.

Clunk Type 2) U-Joint on ISS bad. Usually the shafts will develop lateral play before the U-joint in the shaft ever goes bad. The U-Joints are made of sealed hardened roller bearings.

Clunk Type 3) Loose ISS bolts either end.

Clunk Type 4) Binding inner to outer shaft, not allowing smooth in-out movement of the shafts.

In My case with the OEM shaft, the clunk/popping was VERY minor, and I only tried the Dorman cuz it was inexpensive and very easy to change.

But the Dormans I got did not allow the inner-out shafts to move in-out freely, they were extremely tight, and took all my weight to push in-out, that was definitely type #4 clunking - binding.

Anyway, I re-lubed the OEM shaft I think 6 or 7 months ago, and no minor clunking, it will come back, but I will just re-lube it since the lateral play and clunking was so minimal anyway.

If it is clunking it is loose that is why it is clunking. As far as Dorman they have a known issue since they started having the parts made in a different country AKA China.

BTW this kit is not made any longer, so the best bet is to get the redesign shaft.

PS I did not want to often anyone with the made in china comment, but it is what it is.
« Last Edit: 10/28/11 03:57 AM by arizona-dave »
STOLEN   -   07 Mystic Gold Loaded LTZ 4x4 - 6.0L with 4LE70 super duty tranny - from the Factory! Prem Sound & Nav, Rear DVD, and all the goodies. An upgrade from the 05, but I have to admit, the 05 seats were a tad more comfy and a little larger. Mods/Upgrades - MSD Super Wires, NGK Iridium, Billet Grill, Real HID Projector HL's w/Halo, 22" Liquid Metal Rims on Nittos, Z-71 skid plate kit.

jimbo53188

• CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator
  • 2015 denali 3500hd
« Reply #451 on: 10/28/11 04:26 AM »

It will stop, but then it comes back. Its kinda annoying. Ive re-lubed the boot 2 times this past year, gunna do it again. Im thinking of changing to wheel grease...messy, but maybe will last longer.

wheel bearing grease :thumbsup:
former 2005 avalanche 2500

arizona-dave

« Reply #452 on: 10/28/11 04:31 AM »

Yeah, Ive been using White waterproof Lithium...but it seems to rub off and get dry fast. Gunna use Marine Wheel Bearing grease this next time. And lots of it :-) Mess it up real good in there!!!  :P

wheel bearing grease :thumbsup:
STOLEN   -   07 Mystic Gold Loaded LTZ 4x4 - 6.0L with 4LE70 super duty tranny - from the Factory! Prem Sound & Nav, Rear DVD, and all the goodies. An upgrade from the 05, but I have to admit, the 05 seats were a tad more comfy and a little larger. Mods/Upgrades - MSD Super Wires, NGK Iridium, Billet Grill, Real HID Projector HL's w/Halo, 22" Liquid Metal Rims on Nittos, Z-71 skid plate kit.

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #453 on: 10/28/11 04:34 AM »

You guys are using grease? I thought you were supposed to lube your shafts with the KY....  :o :o :o

:laugh:

Just sayin'...

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4x4

jimbo53188

• CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator
  • 2015 denali 3500hd
« Reply #454 on: 10/28/11 05:46 AM »

Yeah, Ive been using White waterproof Lithium...but it seems to rub off and get dry fast. Gunna use Marine Wheel Bearing grease this next time. And lots of it :-) Mess it up real good in there!!!  :P

the oem shaft appears to be lubed with lithium inside as well, i greased with wheel brg. grease, no more rattle! i went through 2 of the dorman shafts,they did'nt rattle but had a lot of wheel freeplay when cruising down the road!
former 2005 avalanche 2500

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Teach your children well, they are the future.
    • Fcaebook
« Reply #455 on: 10/29/11 11:11 AM »

m y oem shaft was seeverlydamages on the bottom.the metal was all hasn't and damaged.that is why I changed mine.
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr

arizona-dave

« Reply #456 on: 10/31/11 03:02 AM »

That must be the part of the shaft with the spacer in it ? How did the bottom get damaged, offroading?

m y oem shaft was seeverlydamages on the bottom.the metal was all hasn't and damaged.that is why I changed mine.

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Teach your children well, they are the future.
    • Fcaebook
« Reply #457 on: 10/31/11 06:18 PM »

Some offroading, mosty 140k mles of Bad roads
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr

tigercub

« Reply #458 on: 11/12/11 06:31 AM »

My problem was minor but VERY irritating clunking. It made the Av FEEL like a POS cheapo crapwagon. I installed the dorman iss in about an hours time and took the ol' beast for a spin....What a difference a Dorman makes! Now my favourite ride FEELS like the 40 thousand dollar lux SUV I paid for!

thanks to the members here I got the knowledge and the confidence to DIY. :thumbsup:

2006 Cladded AV, ambers, Nextar GPS with backup cam.

No Tyme

• CAFCNA 2018 Supporting Member
« Reply #459 on: 11/16/11 04:41 AM »

This will be my next repair on the AV: My 05 has this same quirk and I have been trying to find out what that noise is. After reading this thread I now believe I will have to order the Dorman iss from Summit and get rid of the annoying rattle. I will post my findings...
2013 Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond Blue Topaz Metallic W/ Summit Performance level lift, Hollander 5308ís wrapped with 275 65 R 20ís Coper Discoverer HTPís, DZ TailGate assist, Sound Ordinance powered sub, AVS Vent Visors, Husky Liners, cool white interior LEDís, JDM Alstar backup lights.

Formerly 2005 Avalanche Z71 Silver Birch

UnderDog

• There's no need to fear! Underdog is here!
« Reply #460 on: 12/04/11 12:00 PM »

I just ordered the Dorman 425-176 from @m@z0n for $39.99 with free shipping!  What a deal!!  I hope this fixes this rattling shaft for good......
02 AV Z66 (Cladded) SOM
(Built July 2002 and purchased Aug 2002)

No Tyme

• CAFCNA 2018 Supporting Member
« Reply #461 on: 12/04/11 12:55 PM »

I just installed mine from Amazon but yet to drive any distance other than from the barn to the garage... Hope to report more especially after a couple of hundred miles... I paid a total of $43.07 from NorAm International Partners, Inc through Amazon.com.
2013 Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond Blue Topaz Metallic W/ Summit Performance level lift, Hollander 5308ís wrapped with 275 65 R 20ís Coper Discoverer HTPís, DZ TailGate assist, Sound Ordinance powered sub, AVS Vent Visors, Husky Liners, cool white interior LEDís, JDM Alstar backup lights.

Formerly 2005 Avalanche Z71 Silver Birch

JOE_AV_Z71

« Reply #462 on: 12/05/11 12:18 AM »

Found a lube kit at my local dealer.  Parts managers said GM was phasing them out, but that he uses them all the time.  Asked me how I heard of them, since general public doesn't know they exist.

The one I picked up had same syringe and lube, with different plug, but worked fine.

Pretty easy install.  For future applications, I would think you can use the same syringe with bearing grease, or simply a grease gun with long tube, and accomplish the same results.

UnderDog

« Reply #463 on: 12/17/11 06:10 AM »

This worked great!  I have been putting up with this rattle in the steering for several years and knew what the problem was but I thought it would cost a lot to get this done and I also didn't know that it was easy.... Now mt AV drives like new again!   :woohoo:
02 AV Z66 (Cladded) SOM

arizona-dave

« Reply #464 on: 12/19/11 04:55 AM »

What did you end up doing?

This worked great!  I have been putting up with this rattle in the steering for several years and knew what the problem was but I thought it would cost a lot to get this done and I also didn't know that it was easy.... Now mt AV drives like new again!   :woohoo:

jimmypsp700

• 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 1500
    • My PhotoBucket
« Reply #465 on: 01/05/12 08:56 PM »

Well i had a big surprise...  I didn't need my Dorman ISS because when i replaced my (2nd ) wheel hub Asm the clunking that i thought was the ISS disappeared.  So my lube kit fix from a couple years ago is still effective!
Also i replaced the Hub ASM because the ABS light came on and the humming turned to grinding...

The lesson learned is don't wait on replacing those hub bearing Assemblies and it could fix multiple problems you are having.
'16 GMC Sierra All Terrain
'04 Chevy Av Z71 1500 sold
'90 Chevy Vette L98 TPI
'15 Polaris Sportsman 1000
'14 Polaris RZR 900XP
'00 Polaris Scrambler 400 2x4
'02 Triton SL8 ATV Trailer
'94 Sierra 32' TT

arizona-dave

« Reply #466 on: 01/06/12 10:30 AM »

So when you say Hub Asm, your talking about the entire 4WD Hub with wheel bearing, ABS Sensor housing, caliper connection and knuckles etc etc?

My factory original ISS is definitely got some play, but it doesnt clunk...the thing Im now noticing is wondering a little on highway especially at 70mph.

Im skipping the Dorman this time (had 2 very bad ones) and will go with another brand or a GM replacement (supposedly redesigned)

Prob wont do for a few weeks but I will post what my experience is once I get a good ISS back in.

Well i had a big surprise...  I didn't need my Dorman ISS because when i replaced my (2nd ) wheel hub Asm the clunking that i thought was the ISS disappeared.  So my lube kit fix from a couple years ago is still effective!
Also i replaced the Hub ASM because the ABS light came on and the humming turned to grinding...

The lesson learned is don't wait on replacing those hub bearing Assemblies and it could fix multiple problems you are having.

UnderDog

« Reply #467 on: 01/06/12 12:52 PM »

So when you say Hub Asm, your talking about the entire 4WD Hub with wheel bearing, ABS Sensor housing, caliper connection and knuckles etc etc?

My factory original ISS is definitely got some play, but it doesnt clunk...the thing Im now noticing is wondering a little on highway especially at 70mph.

Im skipping the Dorman this time (had 2 very bad ones) and will go with another brand or a GM replacement (supposedly redesigned)

Prob wont do for a few weeks but I will post what my experience is once I get a good ISS back in.

I have the same problem with my AV wondering in my lane and thats because of the pitman arm is worn out.  I plan to start this  project  in the next few weeks.
02 AV Z66 (Cladded) SOM

jimmypsp700

• My PhotoBucket
« Reply #468 on: 01/06/12 07:58 PM »

Yep the Hub Bearing Assembly with the wheel studs and all.  3 yr warranty at Advanced auto $162 minus 15% discount as i purchased online, picked up next morning at store.

MoogFront Wheel Hub Assembly
Part No 515036
3 YEAR REPLACEMENT IF DEFECTIVE

'90 Chevy Vette L98 TPI
'14 Polaris RZR 900XP
'94 Sierra 32' TT

jimmypsp700

• My PhotoBucket
« Reply #469 on: 01/06/12 07:58 PM »

BTW mine wonders too i'll have to check the Pitman arm. thanks
'90 Chevy Vette L98 TPI
'14 Polaris RZR 900XP
'94 Sierra 32' TT

Senor Plata

• The leatherman of outdoor transportation!
« Reply #470 on: 05/22/12 11:42 PM »

Great info from the forum.  I noticed the clunking when I test drove my 2002 last month at a Jeep Dealer.  I kept firm on my offer to the Jeep Dealer stating that it sounded like a ball joint or bearings going and I had to figure the repair into the price.

I took it to my favorite Chevy dealer for repairs (not sales) and had them replace the part.  They reduced the price on the part to what you guys are paying via mail order but charged me two hours of labor.  I happily paid that since I would have wasted a precious sunny day here in the NW trying to do it myself.

The Av drives like new and now I am really happy with my vintage 02 Av with all bells and whistles functioning (except for the Analog Onstar).
2002 Novara Cross Bicycle (8 miles per cookie)

arizona-dave

« Reply #471 on: 05/23/12 03:38 PM »

2 Hours Labor? - In other words you really didnt get the part for what we pay on forum  :o

Its seriously 2 bolts and 20 to 30 minutes without needing to move anything difficult out of the way. (driving time to/from dealer, waiting for repair, etc ?)

In any event, glad you found this thread and at least were able to know exactly what was needing repaired and didnt get hosed for all sorts of other stuff.

arizona-dave

« Reply #472 on: 08/09/12 09:35 AM »

I get the noise also when turning steering wheel on colder mornings. Ive pulled boot and lubed several times, its the danged boot resting on the ISS.

On a different note, I have this steering sound only while turning left...ARG!!! - Its not the ISS as its been replced...now what! http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,131102.0.html

silly question, but what is the reason that you have to do this? I just got a squeking noise when I turn the wheel.  Is that what you have to do to make that go away?

thank Doug for the write up and pics, very nice :thumbsup:

qreaigh

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
« Reply #473 on: 04/17/13 02:39 AM »

Is replacing the ISS a recommended thing to do? I have an 06 with 85000 mi. second owner
2006 LS 4X4 3.42 Sport Red, College Park, MD,
 MODs: Amber's, Kenwood DNX892 HU, FTDRL, wade color matched bug deflector, weather tech window deflectors, bed slide

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #474 on: 04/17/13 11:08 AM »

Yes if it is knocking.
2003 2500
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19] 20  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 24 queries.