Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 20  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermediate Steering Shaft Removal/Lube Kit Installation  (Read 226197 times)

RickCos

• I love the Chevy Avalanche

Quote from: trAVelingman link=topic=87800. msg1347074#msg1347074 date=1186267274
Or a steering wheel locking pin

Why can't you rely on the column lock when you pull the key?

cadboy1

• CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

my 03 does not have a column lock  :beating:
04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
15 Chrysler 200C AWD

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Why can't you rely on the column lock when you pull the key?
no avy has steering lock..

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Teach your children well, they are the future.
    • Fcaebook

no avy has steering lock..

WOW, I did not know this. I have never tested it either. Why is it that they do not have it?
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

WOW, I did not know this. I have never tested it either. Why is it that they do not have it?
I think Gm did away with steering lock on all vehicles..

as to why?

maybe costs..

no use...?
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Fcaebook

Well I just did the change over. It went good except I did not turn the steering wheel so I could access the bolts easier. I never said I was the brightest person on this site. Once I figured out that it was pretty easy. I did apply a little grease to the shaft so I could get it back into the steering port. Thank you for the instructions. Now I am going to purchase the recharge kit and get the old one prepped for when this one goes out. The only tool you need is a 15MM socket for this job. Also be sure to remove the bolt side on the engines side and the nut side under the dash. This was the only issue I could see.

Shane
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr

DougD

• So, didja?

Well I just did the change over. It went good except I did not turn the steering wheel so I could access the bolts easier. I never said I was the brightest person on this site. Once I figured out that it was pretty easy. I did apply a little grease to the shaft so I could get it back into the steering port. Thank you for the instructions. Now I am going to purchase the recharge kit and get the old one prepped for when this one goes out. The only tool you need is a 15MM socket for this job. Also be sure to remove the bolt side on the engines side and the nut side under the dash. This was the only issue I could see.

Shane

Yeah, without power pedals, it really appears to be a piece of cake.  Probably 10 minutes for me.

If only I could work with wood as well as with mechanical stuff.
2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV & Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo & Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Fcaebook

OK now that i have driven with the new piece installed, all I can say is WOW. My steering feels just like it did when I purchased her. The noise is gone and the truck feels solid. Not bad for a 10 minute change.
.....Abr

Loggie

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • What made it all happen--The Original Concept
    • Pics of AV

Doug, nice write-up.  I’m sure I need to do this but I refuse to listen for a problem…got enough of them.

dj4108

• 03' Blk Z71

According to a GM dealership, they no longer offer the lubrication kit.   They did tell me that the intermediate steering shaft has been redesigned with a larger inner core to prevent the problems that have been occurring in the past.   I just replaced mine today for the second time in three years.   Only time will tell if the new replacement will hold up.   I purchased the new shaft for $70. 00.   It took me around 20-25 minutes to replace.
03' Z71 Black with Chrome Westin brushguard, PIAA Fog Lights, Xon 20's w/Kumho 305/50R-20, Sunroof, Tinted Windows

Big L

• CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

dj4108,
Good Job and  :welcome:

wakebdr

• Go Tigers!

Lubed my shaft again today..Feels like a new 07  :A: I am good for another few thousand miles  :A:

Is there a write-up/instructions for simply lubing the existing shaft?
2010 Black LTZ: 3.5" front/3" rear lift, 18" Fuel Vapor wheels, Spectre CAI, Mag Lite in both saddle bags, painted black bow ties and grill
2003 Dark Gray Z71: Mag Lite (sold June '15)

DougD

• So, didja?

Ummm......

Have you even LOOKED at the thread you just asked this in?
2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV & Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo & Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).

Flint4x4

• Silent Avalanche - In Memorial

We used to brush white grease on the shaft and push it in on the GMT800 Silverado/Sierra HD. Pushed it in so it wouldn't catch on anything when they dropped the body on the engine/chassis.

When you glob enough white grease on and push it in some of the grease goes right up inside and stays. You'd still have to disconnect the lower part of the ISS under the hood so you could compress it, maybe add more white grease and repeat a few times, then reconnect it. Might work and would take little effort.
'94 Chevy S10 ext. cab. low miles, '09 GMC Acadia low miles
FWD + RWD = 4x4, loaded '04 AV totaled late 2016

wakebdr

• Go Tigers!

Ummm......

Have you even LOOKED at the thread you just asked this in?

My apologies.  For some reason I thought the procedure detailed replacing the shaft with the new one.  Again, I apologize.

Now, since the lube kit is discontinued, what is everyone using the lube the shaft?  I've seen white grease mentioned so far, but nothing else.

Also, do you need jack stands to perform this procedure or will ramps suffice?
2010 Black LTZ: 3.5" front/3" rear lift, 18" Fuel Vapor wheels, Spectre CAI, Mag Lite in both saddle bags, painted black bow ties and grill

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Fcaebook

You don't need either. Just open the hood and unbolt the bottom of the ISS. Then go up under the dash above the pedals and unbolt the top of the ISS. It is just that simple.
.....Abr

DougD

• So, didja?

The lube kit still exists in some dealer stocks.

I'm accumulating some that I can pass along to folks, as well as keeping a small private reserve.

wakebdr

• Go Tigers!

I went to remove my ISS yesterday just to see if I could load it up with some grease.  Wouldn't you know my cheap-o socket set doesn't even have a 15mm socket in it. >:(  Guess I'll ask my neighbor this evening if he has one.

wakebdr

• Go Tigers!

I think I'm officially giving up.  I borrowed a socket from my neighbor this afternoon and I can't even budge the freaking bolt.  I mean, I'm putting my whole body into and it won't move one bit.

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Fcaebook

Try turning it the other way. :laugh: If it is that tight try spying it with some penetrating oil. Mine is an 02 with 120k on her and it was not very hard to remove mine.
.....Abr

wakebdr

• Go Tigers!

I don't have any penetrating oil, but I sprayed some WD-40 on it and tapped it with a hammer.  That worked for me before when the dealer put the oil drain plug back in with an impact wrench.

repoman

• I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Just put in a new ISS today and no more clunking. Steering feels great again also. I ordered from GMParts Direct and got the latest revision on the part. Pretty simple install and only cost about $60.

Big L

• CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Had the steering shaft greased once if and when it starts again, I'll just pay the 60 bucks and put in the new part.  Just my .02

cadboy1

I think I'm officially giving up.  I borrowed a socket from my neighbor this afternoon and I can't even budge the freaking bolt.  I mean, I'm putting my whole body into and it won't move one bit.

What do you weigh? 100 Lbs  ???  :laugh:
04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
15 Chrysler 200C AWD

STOBOTZ

• I love the Chevy Avalanche

:help: First thanks for the write up.  

More details would have helped me a bit more though.    I am doing the swap to the new ISS right now and have hit a wall.   I cant get the old upper to come out of the lower shaft.   Yes, both 15mm are removed but it seems to not wanna "let go" of the lower or vice versa.    Is there a trick to this? :E:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 20  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 24 queries.