Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 20  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermediate Steering Shaft Removal/Lube Kit Installation  (Read 224088 times)

STOBOTZ

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
I need help (ISS)
« Reply #75 on: 12/20/07 09:26 AM »

What is the deal? Is there a trick to removing the upper Intermediate Steering Shaft from the lower SS?
I need help.  

Linky ----->hxxp: www.  chevyavalanchefanclub.  com/cafcna/index.  php/topic,87800.  60.  html

DougD

• CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member
  • So, didja?
Re: I need help (ISS)
« Reply #76 on: 12/20/07 09:41 AM »

Nope.  Although it'd make more sense to have actually posted in that thread.

Remove the top end as well and then work to pull it towards the interior.
2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV & Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo & Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).

STOBOTZ

Well, I have pulled. . .  from both sides, in and out. The prob of pulling from inside (under dash) is the shaft only expands.   There is not enough room to pull out from the lower shaft.   :E:

DougD

• So, didja?

Well, I have pulled. . . from both sides, in and out. The prob of pulling from inside (under dash) is the shaft only expands. There is not enough room to pull out from the lower shaft. :E:

If it's that bound up, then hit the lower end with some penetrating oil - I can't recomment PB Blaster highly enough.
2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV & Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo & Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).

STOBOTZ

I finally got the new ISS installed and now I am glad I did.  After I installed it this morning and running errands this afternoon the avalanche drives like new!

I did have issues trying to remove the upper from the lower. . . murphy's law.  But now that it is in and driving like new I can say that this is well worth it.

wakebdr

• Go Tigers!

What do you weigh? 100 Lbs  ???  :laugh:

forgot about this thread for a while.

;D  Actually I weight 220 and couldn't budge that thing one bit.
2010 Black LTZ: 3.5" front/3" rear lift, 18" Fuel Vapor wheels, Spectre CAI, Mag Lite in both saddle bags, painted black bow ties and grill
2003 Dark Gray Z71: Mag Lite (sold June '15)

STOBOTZ

Quote from: wakebdr link=topic=93023.  msg1472133#msg1472133 date=1198264714
forgot about this thread for a while.  

;D  Actually I weight 220 and couldn't budge that thing one bit.  

the dude from "The Waterboy".  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  "You can do it!"  Seriously, you can.    :1:

wakebdr

• Go Tigers!

I got some PB Blaster yesterday so I'll give it a shot over the next couple of days.
2010 Black LTZ: 3.5" front/3" rear lift, 18" Fuel Vapor wheels, Spectre CAI, Mag Lite in both saddle bags, painted black bow ties and grill

SFODD

• "Bring the rain!"

Is there a difference in the shafts for a 2005 and a 2006?I couldn't get the part to come up on GM Parts Direct for the 2005 but it did for the 2006.Just want to be sure before I spend 60 bucks on something I can't use.
"The only thing required for evil men to succeed is for good men to do nothing. "

DougD

• So, didja?

No difference that I'm aware of, from 02-06

SFODD

• "Bring the rain!"

Are these the updated shafts?
"The only thing required for evil men to succeed is for good men to do nothing. "

DrX

Just received my new design, no-lube ISS from Torque Wrench  today.....P/N 19153614
-See this thread: http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=392041
2004 Z71, Black, cladded, 2WD conversion, Twin Blown 429 LSX, 80E  with transbrake, B&M Megashifter, custom 14 bolt SF rear......<br />2014 Ram 2500, Cummins 6.7<br />2017 Camaro 2SS<br />Twins Vid

wakebdr

• Go Tigers!

I finally got my ISS out the other day and lubed it up.  I spent about 20 minutes or so slathering grease on it and working the shaft out to spread the grease.  It feels better now, but I may still order the replacement shaft.  However, I think a new instrument cluster has priority over the ISS right now.

Terry44_Kelloggs

Well I haven't even owned mine for a week and think I've been bitten by this Intermediate Shaft bug.

Felt it on the way home, thinking something might not of been greased, but did that, then found this site and there you have it.

Dealer I bought it from has a warranty, but its over 100 miles one way, plus its a dodge dealer, so I hate to drive that far for them to check it, then have to go back for them to order the part so on so on.

So I guess I probably  should order one from gm direct for 66 and save myself the trouble.

Thanks all ....great site
Let's Go Mountaineers!!!

cladded

After reading your very informative post on how to grease the shaft I decided to contact GM since my vehicle is out of warranty.   I was told that they had a fix for it by replacing it with a different shaft.   Since mine had been greased once during warranty by the dealer that they should replace it without cost.   They did it today.   You may also qualify.

jimbo53188

• CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator
  • 2015 denali 3500hd

dorman now has a replacement...425-176   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

425-176  Cadillac Escalade 2006-01; Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe 2006-99, Avalanche 2006-02; GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL 2006-99; Hummer H2 2007-03.
         $47.89 at    www.rockauto.com

« Last Edit: 01/30/08 11:08 AM by jimbo53188 »
former 2005 avalanche 2500

Terry44_Kelloggs

dorman now has a replacement...425-176   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

425-176  Cadillac Escalade 2006-01; Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe 2006-99, Avalanche 2006-02; GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL 2006-99; Hummer H2 2007-03.
         $47.89 at www.rockauto.com

Well I ordered one of these yesterday, well see how it goes.
Let's Go Mountaineers!!!

Terry44_Kelloggs

I installed the ISS from rockauto.com on saturday and I'm happy, no more shaking of rattle.

Thanks jimbo for the link, saved me some $$.

Lord knows I need it, gas guage is low. :E:
Let's Go Mountaineers!!!

jimbo53188

• CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator
  • 2015 denali 3500hd

dorman is known for issueing"problem solver" parts. i will bet this will be the end of your noise. i ordered one as well.
former 2005 avalanche 2500

avi0922

Re: 1204907
« Reply #94 on: 02/24/08 03:08 PM »

I have an 04 avi z66 ultimate edition with 67000 miles on it im having the same problem with the steering and the clunking noise i kno its not still under warranty but wit the TSB is the dealership still obligated to replace it with the newer design
2004 Avalanche Z66 Ultimate Edition, Flowmaster 40 series exhaust, poweraide throttle body spacer, hyper blues(headlights, foglights)Alpine CDA-9887, Gibson GP129 headers......

Terry44_Kelloggs

Re: 1204907
« Reply #95 on: 02/25/08 06:41 AM »

I have an 04 avi z66 ultimate edition with 67000 miles on it im having the same problem with the steering and the clunking noise i kno its not still under warranty but wit the TSB is the dealership still obligated to replace it with the newer design

This is kind of a popular question with alot of different answers.

What I've learned is, if your the orginal owner chances are pretty good that you can get it replaced from the dealer.

If your the 2nd owner (like I am) chances are your going to have to suck it up and pay for it.

But by all means call your dealer and ask, worst they can say is no.
Let's Go Mountaineers!!!

caliavy

• CAFCNA 2009 Supporting Member
  • Often imitatated but never duplicated!!!

I just replaced my rattling part (15000 miles) on a Z66 and bought  its replacement version  from GM  Parts Direct for about $55.00 and changed it myself in about 45 minutes--Lock down the steering wheel with bungee cord, remove the gas pedal  using ( 1/4 inch drive and extension) (adjustable pedals here)  I am more satisified by doing it myself!   You can do it too!!! Also got rid of the rattles through the steering wheel- Thought it was my Hotchkis bars for a minute there... ::)

We are not alone hundreds of thousands of trucks like this platform are getting them done!
« Last Edit: 03/05/08 07:45 PM by caliavy »
2004 Summit White Z66 Born 6/04 , Adopted 7/04 with 3 mi on the odometer, WBH, Drivers Convenience Package, Fender Flares, Stainless Steps,  XM, OnStar, Bose, 10 Way Buckets  with Leather, Sunroof, Side Airbags, Molded mud guards, GM Deflector, Amber DRLs Zainoed!!  Hotchkis SwayBars,Thundervolt 50's, Draw-Tite Intellistop Ultra , Hitchcam, EasyLift tailgate assist Rancho 9000XL front shocks

avi0922

also another good tip to getting the shaft out is to remove the boot on the firewall it has 3 aluminum type nuts thats it. pull the whole thing out(of course after unboltiing the bolts on the shaft) slide the new shaft in the boot and install it saved me time from having to undo the electric pedals...
2004 Avalanche Z66 Ultimate Edition, Flowmaster 40 series exhaust, poweraide throttle body spacer, hyper blues(headlights, foglights)Alpine CDA-9887, Gibson GP129 headers......

kebie05

ntermediate shaft P/N 19153614 has been designed to replace previous designed dampened and non-dampened Intermediate shafts.

that is the part i ordered from gm parts direct, so i do not need to lube this before i install. i will be trying this in the morning possibly, so any last minute hints or tips would be appreciated. so is this down in the engine bay or upper part toward the firewall ?
02 Z71

DougD

• So, didja?

Just read the thread, and utilize the removal & installation portions - the lube is what you won't be doing.  It's all there.
2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&amp;N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV &amp; Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo &amp; Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 20  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 24 queries.