Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 20  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermediate Steering Shaft Removal/Lube Kit Installation  (Read 232672 times)

thomsen05

• CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member
Re: Intermediate Steering Shaft Removal/Lube Kit Installation
« Reply #225 on: November 11, 2009, 09:21:13 AM »

Does anyone know how the Dorman ISS is doing? I still haven't installed mine yet  :E:
Chris

2002 avalanche pewter,4:10 gears, Superchipped 5.3ltr, 3" Ready lift level kit, Stainless steel diamond plate inserts, Amber drl's, K&N FIPK, MSD wires, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Nerf bars, Blue superbright puddles, fabtech steering stabilizer, altezza smoked tail lights 50W back up lights....to be added: strobes

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Teach your children well, they are the future.
    • Fcaebook
« Reply #226 on: November 11, 2009, 11:46:25 AM »

My last ISS is the new one and lasted just over 40k, my first one lasted over 100k. So I don't think the upgrade is worth a dam, that is why I went with the Dorman. I have not yet installed it, just being Lazy and it is in the 30's here. I do like the looks of the Dorman over the GM. The blue silicone grease looks a lot better then the white grease in GM's product. I am hoping to install it Saturday. I cannot do it during the week because i have to drive the kids to and from school and cannot afford for something to go wrong where my Av is down. I know it is a 20 minute job, but if anything goes wrong I am done. I will let you know what i think after I install it. I will be driving 900 miles one way to Cali on the 21st for T-Day. That will be a good break in period.
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr

arizona-dave

• You cannot lift the needy by pulling the top down
« Reply #227 on: November 11, 2009, 11:49:56 AM »

My last ISS is the new one and lasted just over 40k, my first one lasted over 100k. So I don't think the upgrade is worth a dam, that is why I went with the Dorman. I have not yet installed it, just being Lazy and it is in the 30's here. I do like the looks of the Dorman over the GM. The blue silicone grease looks a lot better then the white grease in GM's product. I am hoping to install it Saturday. I cannot do it during the week because i have to drive the kids to and from school and cannot afford for something to go wrong where my Av is down. I know it is a 20 minute job, but if anything goes wrong I am done. I will let you know what i think after I install it. I will be driving 900 miles one way to Cali on the 21st for T-Day. That will be a good break in period.

Thanks for the info 66.  Ive been wondering if the new redesigned shafts were going bad, and you answered that question.

I qill probably pick up the doorman one and install it in the next few weeks. Mine is just clunking a little, not bad, but its annoying.

After I got rid of tghe squeaking sound, the clunking was easy to heard...HAHA - Fix one thing only to discover another,

At least the ISS is a relatively cheap and easy fix.
STOLEN   -   07 Mystic Gold Loaded LTZ 4x4 - 6.0L with 4LE70 super duty tranny - from the Factory! Prem Sound & Nav, Rear DVD, and all the goodies. An upgrade from the 05, but I have to admit, the 05 seats were a tad more comfy and a little larger. Mods/Upgrades - MSD Super Wires, NGK Iridium, Billet Grill, Real HID Projector HL's w/Halo, 22" Liquid Metal Rims on Nittos, Z-71 skid plate kit.

thomsen05

« Reply #228 on: November 11, 2009, 13:08:27 PM »

:jacked:Where at in Ca. are you going?
Chris

2002 avalanche pewter,4:10 gears, Superchipped 5.3ltr, 3" Ready lift level kit, Stainless steel diamond plate inserts, Amber drl's, K&N FIPK, MSD wires, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Nerf bars, Blue superbright puddles, fabtech steering stabilizer, altezza smoked tail lights 50W back up lights....to be added: strobes

Sirshopolot

• CAFCNA 2009 Supporting Member
  • Power To The Avy!
« Reply #229 on: November 11, 2009, 15:23:41 PM »

Reason I ask, is that GM re-designed the ISS last year, its part number is: 19153614.

Was the last GM shaft you replaced the new redesigned one, or the old one?

Thanks - David

There are two part numbers being thrown around here 425-176 and 19153614
Is there a difference? 
Sirshopolot

arizona-dave

« Reply #230 on: November 11, 2009, 15:29:59 PM »

There are two part numbers being thrown around here 425-176 and 19153614
Is there a difference? 

P/N   19153614 is the Re-Designed Genuine GM Shaft.

I dont know what the other P/N is...maybe aftermarket ?
STOLEN   -   07 Mystic Gold Loaded LTZ 4x4 - 6.0L with 4LE70 super duty tranny - from the Factory! Prem Sound & Nav, Rear DVD, and all the goodies. An upgrade from the 05, but I have to admit, the 05 seats were a tad more comfy and a little larger. Mods/Upgrades - MSD Super Wires, NGK Iridium, Billet Grill, Real HID Projector HL's w/Halo, 22" Liquid Metal Rims on Nittos, Z-71 skid plate kit.

Sirshopolot

• Power To The Avy!
« Reply #231 on: November 11, 2009, 15:39:00 PM »

P/N   19153614 is the Re-Designed Genuine GM Shaft.

I dont know what the other P/N is...maybe aftermarket ?

Rock Auto says that the 19153614 translates to 425-176.  The box has a Dorman sticker and the 425-176 PN on it and the shaft itself is marked 425-176.

Is 19153614 GM's part number and 425-176 Dorman's Part Number?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 16:40:22 PM by Sirshopolot »
Sirshopolot

arizona-dave

« Reply #232 on: November 11, 2009, 15:51:53 PM »

Rock Auto says that the 19153614 translates to 425-176.  The box has a Dorman sticker and the 425-176 PN on it and the shaft itself is marked 425-176.

Is 19153614 GM's part number and 425-176 Dorman's Part Number?

19153614 is the GM number.

RockAuto mostly sells aftermarket, so the 425-176 is another suppliers part number. If its Dorman, I dont know, cuz I havnt looked at the Dorman yet. But its certain the 191...is the Genuine GM re-designed Shaft P/N.

Sirshopolot

• Power To The Avy!
« Reply #233 on: November 11, 2009, 16:43:31 PM »

19153614 is the GM number.

RockAuto mostly sells aftermarket, so the 425-176 is another suppliers part number. If its Dorman, I dont know, cuz I havnt looked at the Dorman yet. But its certain the 191...is the Genuine GM re-designed Shaft P/N.

Maybe the other way around?
Sirshopolot

jimbo53188

« Reply #234 on: November 11, 2009, 17:02:21 PM »

the 425-176 is indeed a dorman product,dorman products are designed to replace factory parts that have design flaws. i have'nt seen the redesigned gm part,it would be interesting to see if gm followed dormans design change.
2018 F450 PLATINUM

DougD

• So, didja?
« Reply #235 on: November 11, 2009, 17:38:02 PM »

Does anyone know how the Dorman ISS is doing? I still haven't installed mine yet  :E:

That's one way to keep it from wearing out!
2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV & Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo & Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).

thomsen05

« Reply #236 on: November 11, 2009, 17:41:03 PM »

:laugh:

Chris

arizona-dave

« Reply #237 on: November 12, 2009, 07:37:44 AM »

arizona-dave

« Reply #238 on: November 12, 2009, 10:39:21 AM »

:laugh: :laugh:  :beating: :laugh: :laugh:

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Fcaebook
« Reply #239 on: November 12, 2009, 11:31:09 AM »

OK it took my less then 20 minutes to do the install. I even took pictures. Here are a couple pics. One is of the GM ISS the other 2 are the Dorman. From comparing them side by side, the Dorman looks a lot stronger and better built. It has a grove in the side of it with an allen set screw. I am guessing the set screw is to adjust the tension on the slide grove.
The GM ISS has just the round bar that slides. As for install it was way beyond easy. I do recommend that you spray a little WD40 on the end that connects in the engine compartment. It makes the job so much more easier.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr

arizona-dave

« Reply #240 on: November 12, 2009, 14:56:54 PM »

OK it took my less then 20 minutes to do the install. I even took pictures. Here are a couple pics. One is of the GM ISS the other 2 are the Dorman. From comparing them side by side, the Dorman looks a lot stronger and better built. It has a grove in the side of it with an allen set screw. I am guessing the set screw is to adjust the tension on the slide grove.
The GM ISS has just the round bar that slides. As for install it was way beyond easy. I do recommend that you spray a little WD40 on the end that connects in the engine compartment. It makes the job so much more easier.

Hey Shanes - Is there anyway you can Crop a close-up of that Alan Screw and groove? The close-up pic u posted is super blurry, cant see the groove or screw shape.

Thx - DK

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Fcaebook
« Reply #241 on: November 12, 2009, 15:16:50 PM »

Nope I already installed it and the allen is in the steering boot. Sorry about that.
.....Abr

arizona-dave

« Reply #242 on: November 12, 2009, 15:25:02 PM »

Nope I already installed it and the allen is in the steering boot. Sorry about that.

You might be able to open the full-size image of the dorman shaft - if you didnt resize the original file, and then crop the area of the screw and groove, then post that one.

Or, if you have a full size image thats not reduced to fit under 100KB for this site, you could send it to me...please :-)

The full size pic will let me see the groove clear enough.

Thanks.

thomsen05

« Reply #243 on: November 12, 2009, 15:30:10 PM »

You might be able to open the full-size image of the dorman shaft - if you didnt resize the original file, and then crop the area of the screw and groove, then post that one.

Or, if you have a full size image thats not reduced to fit under 100KB for this site, you could send it to me...please :-)

The full size pic will let me see the groove clear enough.

Thanks.

Is this what you are looking for?
Chris

arizona-dave

« Reply #244 on: November 12, 2009, 15:34:02 PM »

Yes Exactly!!! :-)  Mahalo !!!!  :wave:

So, the smaller rectangular bar slides in and out of the larger one? And do you adjust that alan screw, or is it lock-tighted in there by Dorman?

This part does look more sturdy than the GM part....go figure.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 15:36:14 PM by arizona-dave »

arizona-dave

« Reply #245 on: November 12, 2009, 16:21:00 PM »

Well, I did a little research today, on other GM truck forums....I will NOT be getting the "new" "redesigned" GM shaft.

Every person on the other forums that posted in 2009 said they have had to replace the new GM shaft within a year.

ALL of them said the Dorman shafts are the way to Go.

THANK GOD, and Thank everyone here for our collective help.

A lot of people with $$$ also said the Borg Shafts were very good...but for $200+...Id replace a dorman 4 times.

DougD

• So, didja?
« Reply #246 on: November 13, 2009, 05:40:50 AM »

Once I run out of the lube kits, I will go the Dorman route
2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV & Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo & Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).

arizona-dave

« Reply #247 on: November 13, 2009, 07:28:15 AM »

Thomsen05: - Is that alan screw locked in place by the factory, or do you adjust it?

Thanks - DK

thomsen05

« Reply #248 on: November 13, 2009, 07:59:35 AM »

Its a allen screw, I dont think there is anything to adjust
Chris

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Fcaebook
« Reply #249 on: November 13, 2009, 08:01:35 AM »

I do not see any reason for adjusting it. It worked awesome this morning when I took the kids to school. I made sure to hit as many potholes as possible. My steering feels better then it ever has.
.....Abr
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 20  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 25 queries.