Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 20  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermediate Steering Shaft Removal/Lube Kit Installation  (Read 232643 times)

Jolt

• CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member
  • Aka Jeronimo, I'm 21 and LOVE my av!
Re: Intermediate Steering Shaft Removal/Lube Kit Installation
« Reply #325 on: August 18, 2010, 10:54:55 AM »

Haha... mine is in the same state and almost as old  :laugh:

I was in the same situation as you both thinking mine was not that bad, UNTIL TODAY!! I've had mine in the box in garage since Thanksgiving of last year, and finally got around to it this morning, CHANGE YOURS ALREADY!!! makes the Avy ride like a new truck! YOU WILL NOTICE A DIFFERENCE

Leather, On*, XM, Bose, Corsa Catback, Hypertech Programmer, Dealer DVD headrests, Factory Nav, 20's, HIDs on low, all LED lights + Extra Puddle under steps, K&N, Sub interface+sub, IPOD interface, Escalade Platinum Gauges....
Others:
55 Chevy stepside Blu/blk
65 Corvette blk/blk
60 Impala Blu/blu - In progress
66 Mustang Blk/blk - In progress
95 Impala Blk/blk
63 Ranchero White/tan - FOR SALE
90 Mustang 5.0 Blk/gry
07 XLR Blk/B

thomsen05

« Reply #326 on: August 18, 2010, 12:26:46 PM »

I was in the same situation as you both thinking mine was not that bad, UNTIL TODAY!! I've had mine in the box in garage since Thanksgiving of last year, and finally got around to it this morning, CHANGE YOURS ALREADY!!! makes the Avy ride like a new truck! YOU WILL NOTICE A DIFFERENCE

:E:  That means I have to find it  :4:
Chris

2002 avalanche pewter,4:10 gears, Superchipped 5.3ltr, 3" Ready lift level kit, Stainless steel diamond plate inserts, Amber drl's, K&N FIPK, MSD wires, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Nerf bars, Blue superbright puddles, fabtech steering stabilizer, altezza smoked tail lights 50W back up lights....to be added: strobes

Somni

• 2005 Avalanche
    • Glasbackens Växthus
« Reply #327 on: September 7, 2010, 07:51:39 AM »

Hi!

Ordered mine from rockauto on 1 september, got an e-mail the day after saying it was shipped and I got it today on the 7th.  :thumbsup:

And btw, I live in Sweden.

I've got a 2005 Avalanche that sure made a lot of noise from around the steering column when driving on bumpy roads at low speed.
It's all gone now  :D

The only real problem I encountered was that while listening to toby keith on my MP3-player connected to the AV (thanks for the tip about aux input connected to cables running from XM)
was that when I disconnected the cable to the gas pedal a warning came on (reduced engine power) I then turned the ignition off and continued my install of the ISS.

When I was done and about to take it for a test run the Engine Light came on and would not disappear.  :beating:

I ran inside and went online and searched but couldn't find anything about it.
I went outside again after about 5 minutes to disconnect and connect the cable to the gas-pedal again but when I came out the light would not come on.  :thumbsup:

So I went for my testrun and now the ride is as smooooth as it should be, even on bumpy roads  :D

Thanks for all the great information on this forum!

arizona-dave

• You cannot lift the needy by pulling the top down
« Reply #328 on: September 9, 2010, 10:36:32 AM »

Ok Ok...I will oder a new Dorman...but if I get a second Bad Dorman, Im gunna flip...

Ive gotta see what all the fuss is about...I dont think mine drives bad...but mayeb thats cuz im used to it. No Noises, not a lot of play.... :-)

STOLEN   -   07 Mystic Gold Loaded LTZ 4x4 - 6.0L with 4LE70 super duty tranny - from the Factory! Prem Sound & Nav, Rear DVD, and all the goodies. An upgrade from the 05, but I have to admit, the 05 seats were a tad more comfy and a little larger. Mods/Upgrades - MSD Super Wires, NGK Iridium, Billet Grill, Real HID Projector HL's w/Halo, 22" Liquid Metal Rims on Nittos, Z-71 skid plate kit.

Jolt

« Reply #329 on: September 9, 2010, 19:56:31 PM »

Ok Ok...I will oder a new Dorman...but if I get a second Bad Dorman, Im gunna flip...

Ive gotta see what all the fuss is about...I dont think mine drives bad...but mayeb thats cuz im used to it. No Noises, not a lot of play.... :-)

Keep in mind, it eliminates that feeling of the "popping" in the front end you can feel to the steering wheel. Mine did it when turning at slow speeds on uneven ground.. If you don't have that problem, or something mentioned that has been cured as posted by other members, why change it? you might already have a nice tight feeling truck like everyone else wants again! haha Sorry to hear you had a bad one already though....I had a popping noise that started the next day after install to about 4 days after install and it went away and works great with no noise and great feeling. I'm guessing it had to work lube into everywhere....

Good luck. Cheers!  :thumbsup:

Leather, On*, XM, Bose, Corsa Catback, Hypertech Programmer, Dealer DVD headrests, Factory Nav, 20's, HIDs on low, all LED lights + Extra Puddle under steps, K&N, Sub interface+sub, IPOD interface, Escalade Platinum Gauges....
Others:
65 Corvette blk/blk
95 Impala Blk/blk
90 Mustang 5.0 Blk/gry
07 XLR Blk/B

arizona-dave

« Reply #330 on: September 10, 2010, 09:45:32 AM »

Thats kinda what I think...Im not sure my Existing Shaft is bad...even though its a factory one.

The Popping I got on my dorman was abnormal, and I removed it after talking to several members here.....maybe Im just jelouse of the "Brand New Truck" claims heheheh

Keep in mind, it eliminates that feeling of the "popping" in the front end you can feel to the steering wheel. Mine did it when turning at slow speeds on uneven ground.. If you don't have that problem, or something mentioned that has been cured as posted by other members, why change it? you might already have a nice tight feeling truck like everyone else wants again! haha Sorry to hear you had a bad one already though....I had a popping noise that started the next day after install to about 4 days after install and it went away and works great with no noise and great feeling. I'm guessing it had to work lube into everywhere....

Good luck. Cheers!  :thumbsup:
STOLEN   -   07 Mystic Gold Loaded LTZ 4x4 - 6.0L with 4LE70 super duty tranny - from the Factory! Prem Sound & Nav, Rear DVD, and all the goodies. An upgrade from the 05, but I have to admit, the 05 seats were a tad more comfy and a little larger. Mods/Upgrades - MSD Super Wires, NGK Iridium, Billet Grill, Real HID Projector HL's w/Halo, 22" Liquid Metal Rims on Nittos, Z-71 skid plate kit.

HoleInOne

• It's ok, the mudhole can't be that deep......
« Reply #331 on: October 2, 2010, 08:00:45 AM »

Replaced mine yesterday wit the Dorman. No more popping and feeling like the front end is loose. Nice working with Rock Auto.

04JeffH

« Reply #332 on: October 17, 2010, 09:07:46 AM »

Replaced mine 10/16, after much discussion with my wife and reading the forum. She didn't think I could do it. I'm pretty good with general DIY stuff, but only recently have started working on my cars again, tired of paying for simple part swaps. Its the diagnosis that I'm not good at. This site helped.

Anyway, I didn't set any records but it wasn't hard. 90minutes mostly due to uncertainty and taking some time to think through it rather than giving up. I have power pedals, and decided to remove the boot and pull the shaft into the engine compartment rather than trying to pull it inside(not much room). That was easier for me, the boots is 3 10mm nuts and there is much more room to work under the hood. The hardest part of the hold thing, was wiggling the old shaft loose, I used a long screwdriver and mallet from inside and pulled and wiggled under the hood. Same issue with the new one, I had my wife push from the engine side and I guided on the floor, then wiggled and pushed the engine side in. Its a tight fit but with some grease and maniupulation not hard.
Anyone can do this if they can use tools, dealer wanted $130labor so that's what I saved. I spent $200 on the borgeson shaft bcause, I read several bad posts about the dorman, but seems there are mixed results on both.  The AV drives so much better, I've only had it 2mths and was feeling a lot of regret until this fix. Worth it!! Thanks to all.
2004 Silver Avalanche Z71

Jolt

« Reply #333 on: October 17, 2010, 14:20:06 PM »

Glad to hear! and I see it's your first post.  :welcome:  :wave: :wave:

Be sure to post some pics of your av. We want to see it!

Others:
65 Corvette blk/blk
95 Impala Blk/blk
90 Mustang 5.0 Blk/gry
07 XLR Blk/B

bucklwi1

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #334 on: October 18, 2010, 19:47:15 PM »

gotta add to this great thread.

I bought the replacement ISS from my local dealer last winter, but just got around to installing it this past week-end.

It truly is like driving a new truck.  No more rattling, clunking, or vibration in the steering wheel.  It made a HUGE difference.

I bought part # 19153614 and it took me about 25 minutes to replace it in my 2002 Avalanche Z71.  15mm socket and ratchet to loosen the lower bolt in the engine bay and the same to loosen the upper bolt under the steering wheel.  After loosening both bolts with the ratchet, I removed them by hand.  Once both bolts were removed, I pulled the top part of the ISS down away from the top mount, then went into the engine bay and pulled the lower part of the ISS up and out of the lower mount.  Then, went back under the steering wheel to pull the ISS shaft out, into the cabin.  The new one was put in place by pushing it through the rubber boot in firewall and attaching the top bolt finger tight.  Then attach the lower bolt finger tight, then use ratchet to tighten.  Finally back under the steering wheel to tighten the bolt with the ratchet.  Done.

simple to complete and well worht it!

avalanched2004

« Reply #335 on: October 19, 2010, 13:32:22 PM »

Bought mine at Rock Auto and it was here the next day.  Took me about 30 min due to moving the power pedals.  I can't believe the difference.  I love it.

MileHiAV

• "I went looking for trouble, boy did I find her!"
« Reply #336 on: November 25, 2010, 23:49:11 PM »

This really is a no-brainer job.  My dealer quoted me $200...did it myself in 30 minutes minus 15 for cervezas.  My vote goes for removing the 3 10mm nuts on the boot on the firewall and pulling the shaft out through the engine compartment.  I threadlocked the nuts just to be on the safe side (not sure if it was required) The knocking is gone and steering is tight. Just an observation, you mention removing the spacer...I left that in since the stock one had it still in.  I figured it was in there to keep the tube from collapsing when you put the balls to it. I know it said in your instructions to remove it, but I figured, what  could it hurt leaving it?  Thanks for the great write up, this site is the best!  :thumbsup:
03 Z71

jomajora

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #337 on: November 26, 2010, 13:15:49 PM »

Thanks all- I took great strength and courage from this thread! :thumbsup:

Bought the GM ISS and took 22 minutes to make the swap. Took the boot off. If I woulda had a helper it woulda tooken 10 minutes!! :thumbsup:

Anybody have a good reason why we shouldn't go the boot route/pull from engine side?? ???

Thanks again!

TTFN :wave:

arizona-dave

« Reply #338 on: December 20, 2010, 12:40:06 PM »

I have power pedals, and I didnt need to remove or loosen them, I pulled the boot and installed thru the engine side.

Jolt

« Reply #339 on: December 20, 2010, 12:43:26 PM »

I have power pedals, and I didnt need to remove or loosen them, I pulled the boot and installed thru the engine side.

Sooooooo you changed yours finally?

Others:
65 Corvette blk/blk
95 Impala Blk/blk
90 Mustang 5.0 Blk/gry
07 XLR Blk/B

arizona-dave

« Reply #340 on: December 20, 2010, 12:48:44 PM »

:thumbsup: Yes, finally, I started feeling a loosey-goosey feeling in the Steering wheel.

thunderstruck06

« Reply #341 on: December 24, 2010, 13:22:00 PM »

It truly is like driving a new truck.  No more rattling, clunking, or vibration in the steering wheel.  It made a HUGE difference.

I bought part # 19153614 and it took me about 25 minutes to replace it in my 2002 Avalanche Z71.
Same here, except on my 06 I had to remove the gas pedal, no big deal.

I bought mine here: http://gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=19153614

2006 Avalanche Z71 || 1995 C1500 Silverado

Escalade cluster, Corvette servo, iSimple interface, other misc. stuff...

arizona-dave

« Reply #342 on: January 3, 2011, 12:00:45 PM »

:thumbsup:  Well, I finally got the new Dorman shaft and installed it yesterday. I was feeling a very slight clunk in my steering when going over roads with little cracks and bumps, so I figured it  was the ISS...and with the new shaft in, and no faint clunking, I now am sure thats what it was. The give-away was the faint clunking when at a stop and pressing the brake on and off.

I did have to "work" the dorman shaft for about 10-minutes to loosen it up, as it had a pretty bad sticky spot in it about 1-1/2" from fully compressed..and I lubed it with white lithium grease also.

I dont think my factory shaft was as bad as some people had, because the only difference I notice is the faint clunk being gone, and maybe just a slightly more precise steering, but not a major difference.

30 minutes total time, removed boot, did not loosen or remove power pedals at all. Shaft easily removes from engine side once 3 nuts are removed from boot and boot is pulled down. half the 30 minutes was me cleaning and re-lubing the inside of the boot to prevent the dreaded cold morning squeel.

arizona-dave

« Reply #343 on: January 18, 2011, 15:05:21 PM »

I think I may be the proud owner of a faulty Dorman ISS shaft...clunking is back after 2 weeks....I didnt like that sticky spot. I will keep ya'all posted if I got a faulty dorman shaft... :E:

jimbo53188

« Reply #344 on: January 18, 2011, 19:58:36 PM »

i'm on my 3rd one, 1st ones had a "loose"feel(steering wheel had a lot of free play)after a few months. new one when extended all way had a blue coating like drive shaft splines do. the other two did NOT. i think dorman is still working out the bugs. :thumbsup:
2018 F450 PLATINUM

arizona-dave

« Reply #345 on: January 27, 2011, 09:31:23 AM »

Mine has the Blue Coating on it, but like I said it had a VERY stiff spot on it when extending/retracting. Its now loosey-Goosey feeling, and I think Im gunna take it out and put the Original one back in. Its non-stop low-level clunking/popping now, far more than the small amount the OEM shaft was doing. Its very noticable over "smooth" pavement, as the small bumps dont cause tire noise, but the shaft has to expand compress a half inch or so...and I can feel it when stopped and press/release the brake pedal.

I guess Im out $45,,,crap.  >:( 

I know a lot of people really like the Dorman, but this is my second one with problems, and well, I just dont have patience for quality issues. It doesnt seem rational to replace a slightly defective part with a more defective part...HAHA!

Anyone else out there with similar problems?

i'm on my 3rd one, 1st ones had a "loose"feel(steering wheel had a lot of free play)after a few months. new one when extended all way had a blue coating like drive shaft splines do. the other two did NOT. i think dorman is still working out the bugs. :thumbsup:

jimbo53188

« Reply #346 on: January 27, 2011, 09:55:36 AM »

dorman IS lifetime warranty, just exchange it of get a refund.
2018 F450 PLATINUM

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Teach your children well, they are the future.
    • Fcaebook
« Reply #347 on: January 27, 2011, 12:21:26 PM »

I must be one of the lucky ones. i am at 2 years and over 30k and still going strong. And since it is a lifetime, if it does break i can get a new replacement.
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr

arizona-dave

« Reply #348 on: January 27, 2011, 15:38:06 PM »

yEAH, THIS IS MY SECOND ONE THO....WHICH IS MY CONCERN...i JUST DONT FEEL LIKE DOING THIS ALL THE TIME. 2nd bad one in a row... :E:

sory for caps.

dorman IS lifetime warranty, just exchange it of get a refund.

kodyind

« Reply #349 on: February 14, 2011, 09:44:05 AM »

Installing the updated shaft would use the same processes for shaft removal and reinstallation, the lubrication steps are skipped.

Doug,
        I just bought my first avalanche . It is a 2005 with 60,000 miles and i have a slight noise when i turn the wheel right or left, it makes a few  popping sounds when the wheel so d you know what this is and what you did would that fix my problem and why did you do this lube kit install ( remember i am new to this and don't now anything about avalanches) also where did you get the painted door handles
thanks for you help

Jim
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 20  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 25 queries.