Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermediate Steering Shaft Removal/Lube Kit Installation  (Read 233820 times)

bwclark

Re: Intermediate Steering Shaft Removal/Lube Kit Installation
« Reply #350 on: February 20, 2011, 01:30:35 AM »

http://64.38.204.55/cafcna/index.php/topic,76855.125.html
Posted here but it was deleted!     ???

I have a `06 AV and I was having the rumbling noise from the steering at low speeds.  Thanks to CAFCNA I found the above thread and proceeded to replace the ISS according to the instructions found there and here.  One post in the above thread indicated that he was unable to remove the accelerator assembly.  Let me explain that it does take more than the two nuts to remove it.  The accelerator assembly is two parts:  1) the accelerator and the firewall bracket.  First remove the upper and lower bolts in the accelerator unit that attaches to the firewall bracket; then you can remove the three nuts that connect the firewall bracket to the firewall and move all to the side.  You will need a socket extension of about 4" to get to the middle nut.

Next, move the steering wheel so the upper bolt head is pointing down so you can get a socket on the 13mm bolt head (15mm nut...in my `06 case).  The engine bay bolt and nut are both 15mm.  I used the torque wrench to loosen the nut...leave loose and then get to the engine bay bolt and loosen and remove.  I did remove the firewall rubber boot that covers the ISS..only three nuts.  Went back inside to remove the nut and bolt then pulled out from the engine bay.

I used the gmpartsdirect.com ISS to replace mine.  Connected the ISS in the engine bay with the ISS extended into the steering wheel connection area.  Went inside and connected and installed bolt loose...make sure the boot is in place.  Firmed up the bolt/nut in the engine bay with the torque wrench set at 37 ft-lbs...may need to move steering wheel to get the bolt straight up and use a long extension(s) on the wrench.  Went inside and tightened also to 35 ft-lbs....Tested steering and no more rumbling!!!

Bob
2006 Avalanche Z71
2001 Corvette Z06
1970 Chevelle SS 396(history)

arizona-dave

• CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member
  • You cannot lift the needy by pulling the top down
« Reply #351 on: March 11, 2011, 04:28:42 AM »

4 weeks ago I stopped getting automatic notifications to this thread, as well as all other threads. At that same time, I was unable to login, and the entire website was slower than mollassas on a cold day.

Anyone else had problems? I was receiving almost daily notifications from this thread, cuz Ive been debating on removing my dorman and just going with the new OEM updated shaft.

2 bad Dormans in a row...I dont think I want to try a 3rd...
STOLEN   -   07 Mystic Gold Loaded LTZ 4x4 - 6.0L with 4LE70 super duty tranny - from the Factory! Prem Sound & Nav, Rear DVD, and all the goodies. An upgrade from the 05, but I have to admit, the 05 seats were a tad more comfy and a little larger. Mods/Upgrades - MSD Super Wires, NGK Iridium, Billet Grill, Real HID Projector HL's w/Halo, 22" Liquid Metal Rims on Nittos, Z-71 skid plate kit.

GMalanche

« Reply #352 on: March 12, 2011, 01:25:30 AM »

If you still have your old OEM ISS shaft I would recommend doing the "grease Zerk mod" and re installing it. Once you fill it with a heavy duty grease it will not rattle, and in the rare case it does start in the future, just give it another pump or two. I did this mod last year and the results are very impressive.

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #353 on: March 16, 2011, 12:07:27 PM »

Hi Guys,

Im replacing my ISS ony my 04 Ava as soon as it gets delivered. Ordered the Dorman version from Amazon.com for $40.79 and free shipping.

I was wondering, I read on another forum that you need to replace  green steering colum bearing as well, dorman part number 905-512. Is this true or should I be fine just swapping shafts???

Thanks.

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4x4

TK2010

• CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member
« Reply #354 on: March 17, 2011, 01:23:55 AM »

Related ISS question with regard to steering. On my 03 Avalanche I am getting the "pop/clunk" sound at low speed so no doubt it is related to the ISS. However on reading several of the above posts can an ISS also contribute loose/ slop steering?

I have replaced the tie-rod ends and am still having a little bit of play in the wheel. The speed shop says that the truck is aligned perfectly. They checked the wheel bearing and said that the seemed fine. For the most part when I get on a level road and let go of the wheel it will drive straight. I can then move the wheel a inch or so and there is a little free play.

The ISS is on my list for the next week or so to replace but I wanted to see if this could be a contributing factor.

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #355 on: March 17, 2011, 07:17:59 AM »

Yes it does help the slop in the steering, actually that is what the was originally for slop.
2003 2500

Blader

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #356 on: March 21, 2011, 03:41:42 AM »

Hi all this is got to be the stupidest design gm has come up with...I friked around for a few hours getting this damm thing out just to see once I took the shaft apart that it has a hole in the end behind that upside down little insert. How dumb I was considering putting a grease nipple in the shaft prt but when I found out that there was a hole in the end I gave up I repacked it with some good silicone grease and reassembled it should be good for a few hundred ks. Next time I might just drill and insert a grease fitting so as no more taking it apart LOL :beating:
2004 Avalanche Cladded Light Pewter,Mods:K+N Drop In Air Filter, HID headlights,SS Fog Lights,Deep Window Tint,Bug Deflector,UnderDash FLR Mat lights,Underhood Lights,Underhood Cable Reel Light, SS Grill Insert,Glove Box Light,

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #357 on: March 22, 2011, 10:44:13 AM »

So I went to install the iss on my 04 Ava today and realized that the bolt in the dash is smaller than a 15mm. I tried other size sockets but can't find one that fits, a 12mm almost fits but not the right size. Anyone know what size it is????

Sorry for the stupid question I'm just tired of running back and forth to the toolbox. Lol. I tried standard sockets as well.

Blader

« Reply #358 on: March 22, 2011, 12:27:13 PM »

no ,ime wa 15mm you didnt round off the head did u? If so then ur going to have use something that can grip it to undo it. Or if the bolt head is rounded grabe it with some vise grips to undo it and once u get it out get a new 1 good luck
2004 Avalanche Cladded Light Pewter,Mods:K+N Drop In Air Filter, HID headlights,SS Fog Lights,Deep Window Tint,Bug Deflector,UnderDash FLR Mat lights,Underhood Lights,Underhood Cable Reel Light, SS Grill Insert,Glove Box Light,

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #359 on: March 22, 2011, 13:21:04 PM »

Lol, no I didn't round anything off. I just wish I could get my head up under there and see it. I can feel it. Lol. I'll try again tomorrow.

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #360 on: March 23, 2011, 15:51:58 PM »

So I swapped out my ISS today. Indeed it was a 15mm. Lol. Anyway, the old one was caked in grease and the shaft slid in and out very easily.

The new Dorman ISS doesnt slide out and retract very easily at all. Takes a good amount of pressure pull it out and collapse it. Is that normal?

And how can I tell if its original or not and how can I tell if it was even bad? I havent gotten to test drive the Ava since I replaced the ISS so I dont know if the clunking went away or not. I'll know tomorrow.

Heres a pic of the old shaft.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 17:03:16 PM by JonnyBlaze »

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #361 on: March 23, 2011, 15:58:53 PM »

Related ISS question with regard to steering. On my 03 Avalanche I am getting the "pop/clunk" sound at low speed so no doubt it is related to the ISS. However on reading several of the above posts can an ISS also contribute loose/ slop steering?

I have replaced the tie-rod ends and am still having a little bit of play in the wheel. The speed shop says that the truck is aligned perfectly. They checked the wheel bearing and said that the seemed fine. For the most part when I get on a level road and let go of the wheel it will drive straight. I can then move the wheel a inch or so and there is a little free play.

The ISS is on my list for the next week or so to replace but I wanted to see if this could be a contributing factor.

Sounds like you need and idler arm and pitman arm.

Blader

« Reply #362 on: March 23, 2011, 22:51:54 PM »

No doesn't look like anything is wrong with it and yes you need to put it in a vise to pull it apart. The only thing keeping it together is the grease inside that's creating a suction. Once I pulled mine apart I put some grease on it and inside the tube and @ the end where the bolt goes in behind the u clip or sleeve or whatever its called. Im going to drill the end and install a grease fitting too much work to be taking it out all the time just to fill it with grease.

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Teach your children well, they are the future.
    • Fcaebook
« Reply #363 on: March 24, 2011, 02:46:48 AM »

Is the end of the shaft all beat up where it slides up against the top. Mine was very abused when I replaced it. My Dorman has been in for 3 years now and it is just getting about time to replace. I am going to replace the ball joints first and see if that is my issue.
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #364 on: March 24, 2011, 06:20:01 AM »

No doesn't look like anything is wrong with it and yes you need to put it in a vise to pull it apart. The only thing keeping it together is the grease inside that's creating a suction. Once I pulled mine apart I put some grease on it and inside the tube and @ the end where the bolt goes in behind the u clip or sleeve or whatever its called. Im going to drill the end and install a grease fitting too much work to be taking it out all the time just to fill it with grease.

I need to pull the one I just installed apart???

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #365 on: March 24, 2011, 07:11:36 AM »

Ok, I called Dorman just now and talked to a guy from the tech line and he told me that they are supposed to be hard to extend and collapse and that it should take a fair amount of press to do so. And he said thats what the problem is with the old ones, that they were to sloppy and loose.

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #366 on: March 24, 2011, 12:10:39 PM »

Went for a drive..... AND NO MORE CLUNKING!!! WOOHOO!!!

TK2010

• CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member
« Reply #367 on: April 5, 2011, 10:49:47 AM »

Sounds like you need and idler arm and pitman arm.

Well..... Got it all done. This Avalanche had some serious steering problems since I bought it. It now however after all the work drives like a Champ. JonnyBlaze you were right (pitman arm) in addition to the ISS.

Now onto the next project.... Shocks!  :drive:

JonnyBlaze

« Reply #368 on: April 5, 2011, 11:23:13 AM »

Well..... Got it all done. This Avalanche had some serious steering problems since I bought it. It now however after all the work drives like a Champ. JonnyBlaze you were right (pitman arm) in addition to the ISS.

Now onto the next project.... Shocks!  :drive:

w00t!!! w00t!!!  :thumbsup:

Jolt

• Aka Jeronimo, I'm 21 and LOVE my av!
« Reply #369 on: April 13, 2011, 02:38:38 AM »

idler arm and pitman arm? Replacing these would give me less play in my steering wheel? I've been wondering if it was normal to have a little play...anyone have oem part numbers? Help?

Leather, On*, XM, Bose, Corsa Catback, Hypertech Programmer, Dealer DVD headrests, Factory Nav, 20's, HIDs on low, all LED lights + Extra Puddle under steps, K&N, Sub interface+sub, IPOD interface, Escalade Platinum Gauges....
Others:
55 Chevy stepside Blu/blk
65 Corvette blk/blk
60 Impala Blu/blu - In progress
66 Mustang Blk/blk - In progress
95 Impala Blk/blk
63 Ranchero White/tan - FOR SALE
90 Mustang 5.0 Blk/gry
07 XLR Blk/B

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #370 on: April 13, 2011, 03:08:01 AM »

idler arm and pitman arm? Replacing these would give me less play in my steering wheel? ...
only if worn out
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Fcaebook
« Reply #371 on: April 13, 2011, 04:11:27 AM »

Can your alignment cause the steering to feel lose on straight roads but normal on corners? Also is there a way to make the power steering less power and more steering? In otherwords I would like more feeling in the steering like when it was new.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr

arizona-dave

• You cannot lift the needy by pulling the top down
« Reply #372 on: April 26, 2011, 06:51:05 AM »

In My experience yes, especially so. The reason is because around corners there is a lot of force being applied to the tie rods, pitman, and other linkages, going straight will allow all the loose stuff to drift back-forth.

If you feel a loose situation going around a corner....something is seriously ready to break...not good. I hat a pitman break once...not fun.

Can your alignment cause the steering to feel lose on straight roads but normal on corners? Also is there a way to make the power steering less power and more steering? In otherwords I would like more feeling in the steering like when it was new.
STOLEN   -   07 Mystic Gold Loaded LTZ 4x4 - 6.0L with 4LE70 super duty tranny - from the Factory! Prem Sound & Nav, Rear DVD, and all the goodies. An upgrade from the 05, but I have to admit, the 05 seats were a tad more comfy and a little larger. Mods/Upgrades - MSD Super Wires, NGK Iridium, Billet Grill, Real HID Projector HL's w/Halo, 22" Liquid Metal Rims on Nittos, Z-71 skid plate kit.

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Fcaebook
« Reply #373 on: April 26, 2011, 10:42:15 AM »

I just installed a new iss. I hope this will fix the straight issue. She is great on the corners. I also noticed that when I took the air in my rear bags from 35lbs to 10lbs out made a huge difference.
.....Abr

philsaitta

« Reply #374 on: May 13, 2011, 03:45:04 AM »

QUESTION-Is GM p/n 19153614 the latest supercede for the ISS (there have been a bunch of p/ns for it over the years)? I replaced my factory shaft with the $$$Borgeson a couple of years ago, and it's now worse than the original OEM part. Back to the cheaper OEM shaft.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 25 queries.