• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Where To Mount An Xm Radio Antenna

A

av03nwind

New 03 Avalanche 2500 all options except xm radio. Where and how is the best place to mount the antenna?
Going to use the Sony system for dual usage. HELP!

The Sony unit has been discontinued..Thats why they are going for 75 bucks off right now.. Not sure if Sony is making a new unit to replace it.. My antenna is located on the roof front center..Some have mounted on the center rear roof.. Either place will work fine. I have the Pioneer XM 903 good unit for the car..Won't work in the house though.. Check out XM Radio.com there is a new dual purpose unit DELPHI.. There has been 1 post here indicated that the unit was crap..

Gary

just installed a new Alpine xm ready HU and receiver. used a Terk antenna, looks like a computer mouse. located it on the roof in the back and ran the wires in under the cladding thru the 3rd brake light. hardly notice its there

:B:

BigBlue ,

Did you mount your antenna to the roof rack or to the body? Is that an receiver that you can use in the house also?

mac,

i don't have a roof rack. the antenna actually is mounted to the body with adhesive (removable if necessary)

the unit itself is solely a mobile audio unit, they do make one for home use also but in this case you would have to pay for 2 separate subscriptions.

i'll show you more on friday if we get a chance to meet up in Y-town.

BigBlue,

:B:

I have the SONY......DRN-XM01C2...

Mounted the ant in the rear center of the roof.....ran wire through Brake light grommet and down the passenger floor under the sill plate up to the dash.....

SONY is not discontinued just modified to my understanding.....

PS you will love XM in the house.... >:D

I just had the Pioneer unit installed. They put the "mouse-sized" antenna on the dash, in the center up near the windshield. The wire was run up through the defroster vent. They put some double-stick foam tape under the antenna and cleaned the dash area with alcohol where it mounts. It looks fine and was really easy to do that way. The reception seems to be ok, no problem getting a signal.

Back