Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
09/30/14 02:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas tank/pump removal  (Read 4104 times)
RayW

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« on: 01/02/08 08:27 AM »

Good morning, New to this forum and didn't want to hijack another fuel pump thread.

R&Ring a bad fuel pump.  I got the 2 restraining straps off the tank, but I can't get the fwd part of the tank to come down.

It looks like it sits on a lip in front and I may have to jack the truck up higher to angle it out of there.

Anybody else had the same problem or any advise.  I can just access the top of the pump and I might be able to remove it as is.  But it's a real tight squeeze and I got fat (cold)hands.

Can't quite see if any of the tangs on top need to be bent clear for removal. . . . looking for a mirror.

Ideas anyone???

Ray

Oh yeah. . . . . .  2003 Avalanche
DougD
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

So, didja?

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 01/02/08 08:44 AM »

1500 or 2500?  I think the tanks are slightly different.

2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV & Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo & Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).
Jaywyatt

'04 2500

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 01/02/08 11:29 AM »

I think you might have to remove the driveshaft and take the tank out at an angle.

'04 2500  4X4  8.1L  4.10 Gears: Full Time Amber DRL's: Fogs on High: Viper 571XV Remote Start: Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller: Footwell Lights: Auxiliary MP3 Input
ItsStopher
CAFCNA Global Moderator

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 01/02/08 11:44 PM »

Welcome! to the club RayW  Wave I will send a pm to Alaska AV he has some experience in this area
Alaska_AV.
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

living the cold life

WWW Awards
« Reply #4 on: 01/03/08 02:14 PM »

you have to get the truck high enough the rear axil hangs freely.jack stands on the frame. The fill and vent hose must be removed from the tank. Slide the tank rearward over the axil and the front will come out of it's perch.

look at my car domaine site , it has some pics of my first fuel pump change on the last page.

First you'll lose your mind
and then any free cash laying around
Then mods will bloat your credit limits
You'll be like a crack addict, refinancing your home..
You'll cry yourself to sleep,stuff like, must get new rims.
Important questions like, polished or chrome. will shadow you daily

I'm Jon, and my Wife is an Avalanche widow..
Nationals 2007 and 2008 good times

http://alaskaav.mybru
cadboy1
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 01/04/08 01:39 PM »

I am a little past 97K so may have a pump change in my near future. Thanks for the tip Alaska_AV  love

04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
TheBeast
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 01/04/08 01:44 PM »

Good morning, New to this forum and didn't want to hijack another fuel pump thread.

R&Ring a bad fuel pump.  I got the 2 restraining straps off the tank, but I can't get the fwd part of the tank to come down.

It looks like it sits on a lip in front and I may have to jack the truck up higher to angle it out of there.

Anybody else had the same problem or any advise.  I can just access the top of the pump and I might be able to remove it as is.  But it's a real tight squeeze and I got fat (cold)hands.

Can't quite see if any of the tangs on top need to be bent clear for removal. . . . looking for a mirror.

Ideas anyone???

Ray

Oh yeah. . . . . .  2003 Avalanche

Welcome! and good luck with that tank!!

J.T.

2002 Summit White Z71 stock(ish)
RayW

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 01/09/08 05:20 AM »

I got everything swapped out and I'm back on line.

Just as Alaska said. . . . . . . had to jack the truck higher to tilt the rear of the tank down further.  Then slide the tank aft.  Still took a little persuasion to pry it free.

You only got about 1" of slack on your vent and fuel lines, so you need to disconnect them as soon as you can.
Thanks for the help.

Ray
02 Z71
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

My other vehicle :)

WWW Awards
« Reply #8 on: 01/09/08 05:33 AM »

Welcome! to the club RayW.

Glad that you got the job done and thanks for the advise. Hopefully I will never need the advise, but thanks anyway.... Tongue

Brian

2002 Z71 Av with a few mods
2002 Toyota Tacoma
2002 Harley Ultra Classic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: