• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Gas tank/pump removal

RayW

Good morning, New to this forum and didn't want to hijack another fuel pump thread.

R&Ring a bad fuel pump. I got the 2 restraining straps off the tank, but I can't get the fwd part of the tank to come down.

It looks like it sits on a lip in front and I may have to jack the truck up higher to angle it out of there.

Anybody else had the same problem or any advise. I can just access the top of the pump and I might be able to remove it as is. But it's a real tight squeeze and I got fat (cold)hands.

Can't quite see if any of the tangs on top need to be bent clear for removal. . . . looking for a mirror.

Ideas anyone???

Ray

Oh yeah. . . . . . 2003 Avalanche

1500 or 2500?  I think the tanks are slightly different.

:welcome: to the club RayW  :wave: I will send a pm to Alaska AV he has some experience in this area

you have to get the truck high enough the rear axil hangs freely.jack stands on the frame. The fill and vent hose must be removed from the tank. Slide the tank rearward over the axil and the front will come out of it's perch.

look at my car domaine site , it has some pics of my first fuel pump change on the last page.

I am a little past 97K so may have a pump change in my near future. Thanks for the tip Alaska_AV  :love:

RayW said:
Good morning, New to this forum and didn't want to hijack another fuel pump thread.

R&Ring a bad fuel pump. ?I got the 2 restraining straps off the tank, but I can't get the fwd part of the tank to come down.

It looks like it sits on a lip in front and I may have to jack the truck up higher to angle it out of there.

Anybody else had the same problem or any advise. ?I can just access the top of the pump and I might be able to remove it as is. ?But it's a real tight squeeze and I got fat (cold)hands.

Can't quite see if any of the tangs on top need to be bent clear for removal. . . . looking for a mirror.

Ideas anyone???

Ray

Oh yeah. . . . . . ?2003 Avalanche

:welcome: and good luck with that tank!!

I got everything swapped out and I'm back on line.

Just as Alaska said. . . . . . . had to jack the truck higher to tilt the rear of the tank down further. Then slide the tank aft. Still took a little persuasion to pry it free.

You only got about 1" of slack on your vent and fuel lines, so you need to disconnect them as soon as you can.
Thanks for the help.

Ray

:welcome: to the club RayW.

Glad that you got the job done and thanks for the advise. Hopefully I will never need the advise, but thanks anyway.... :p

Back