• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

NO-FRILLS AUX. input for $3.00

Jaywyatt

I have a 2004 with the Bose system with on* and XM. Wanted an aux. input for my cheap MP3 player and Garmin GPS to play them through the factory system. I was not interested in the artist/title display or the steering wheel controls like the Ipod adapters provide. I started looking at the wiring diagram for my radio and noticed that the XM receiver (Digital Radio Receiver as the diagram calls it) was separate from the head unit. I found the left audio,right audio,and common wires from the XM receiver to the head unit and it seamed that if I cut the left and right audio wires and installed an 1/8" stereo switching jack between the Xm receiver and the HU , that it just might work. It does  (y). I went to radio shack and found the jack that I needed Part# 274-246. Here are some pics of the installation.

Here are the two connectors form the HU. The wires you want are in the black 12 pin connector.

Here are the 3 wires you will be working with. The Brown/White is the left audio, the Green/White is the right audio, and the Black/White is the common. You need to cut the BRN/WHT and GRN/WHT wires but not the BLK/WHT. leave enough wire on the radio plug side to be able to splice into. I have already cut the wires in this pic.

Here is a diagram of the wire connections that you need to make

Where I mounted the jack.

My MP3 player connected and working through the system.

Just put the radio on XM1 or XM2 and when something is plugged into the jack it disconnects the XM and plays whatever is plugged in. The radio still displays the name of the XM station that it was tuned to but that does not bother me at all. I am very satisfied with this mod and thought that some others might be interested in a low cost alternative to the aftermarket adapters.
Any questions just let me know.
Happy Modding

How does it sound ???

Sounds Great (well as good as the factory Bose system is gonna sound)
Much better than FM modulation. 

Can you tap into those wires at the xm unit instead of pulling the radio? I wanted to add something like this, but didn't want to go through the hassle of pulling the radio.

Thanks

Web said:
Can you tap into those wires at the xm unit instead of pulling the radio? I wanted to add something like this, but didn't want to go through the hassle of pulling the radio.

Thanks

Yes that would work also. The radio is very easy to pull out though.

Jaywyatt said:
Sounds Great (well as good as the factory Bose system is gonna sound)
Much better than FM modulation. 

I kinda of figured that would work, when I added a external 6 cd player that's how it's tied in.

Good Mod (y)

Web what kind of XM radio do you have that's easy to get to ???

Stock..But it's behind the glove box... thought that would be easier to get at...

XM is behind the glove box but way behind the glovebox against the firewall.

Much easier to pull the radio.

(1)  Instrument Panel (I/P)
(2)  Vehicle Communication Interface Module (VCIM)
(3)  Cellular Antenna Coax
(4)  VCIM Connectors
(5)  Navigation Antenna Coax
(6)  Digital Radio Receiver (U2K/U2L) XM/DAB

Attachments

• xm.gif
    xm.gif
    50.8 KB · Views: 3,285
Guess I'll be pulling the radio.... :p

Thanks for the write up.. didn't want to put in something expensive I would only use occasionally... :wave:

Too many FM stations here to use one of those hookups also.. I've tried 2..

Will this work on other 03+ GM vehicles with XM - are you looking for the same color wires?

I would LOVE to do this on my GP!

I'm not sure. You would have to look at the wiring diagram for car. I assume that the colors would be the same but I could be wrong. I could check the wiring diagram Monday when I go to work and let you know. Anybody have a radio diagram for a '05 Grand Prix?

Web said:

Thanks for the write up.. didn't want to put in something expensive I would only use occasionally... :wave:

Let me know how it goes Web. If you have any ?'s just ask.
I like your avatar (y)
Happy Modding

i think i will do this mod in the AV and Trailblazer.  the wife has been wanting to play her MP3 player in her truck.  i just was not crazy about the idea of unplugging the radio to install the adapter, and have the Theft-Lok come on.  this is a cheaper/ easy alternative.

what is another alternative if the vehicle is not XM equipped?  the Trailblazer is not equipped with XM.

Even if you do not have XM the plug is still there.

PUNISHER said:
? ?i think i will do this mod in the AV and Trailblazer.? the wife has been wanting to play her MP3 player in her truck.? i just was not crazy about the idea of unplugging the radio to install the adapter, and have the Theft-Lok come on.? this is a cheaper/ easy alternative.
I just added an I Pod adapter to my AV this past Friday. I would have done this mod if I knew about it,  it would have saved me $146. Although I do have radio and steering wheel control for play, skip forward and reverse, fast forward and reverse, and charging of the I pod, I would have liked to do a $3 mod instead of a $149 mod.
Oh even thought I had to disconnect the radio harness plugs to add the adapter,  I didn't have any issues with the "Theft-Lock". I guess I was lucky  :dunno:

You won't have a problem with theft lock I had my HU out many times, as a matter of fact my old 6 CD HU was out of my AV for 6 months and I gave it to another member he had it unlocked and it still had my radio presets in it.

MichiganSilver03 said:
You won't have a problem with theft lock I had my HU out many times, as a matter of fact my old 6 CD HU was out of my AV for 6 months and I gave it to another member he had it unlocked and it still had my radio presets in it.
Yep. The only thing you have to reset is the clock.  (y)
Not like some vehicles that if you disconnect the battery you have to recode the radio (n)

MooseAlanche said:
I just added an I Pod adapter to my AV this past Friday. I would have done this mod if I knew about it,  it would have saved me $146. Although I do have radio and steering wheel control for play, skip forward and reverse, fast forward and reverse, and charging of the I pod, I would have liked to do a $3 mod instead of a $149 mod.
Oh even thought I had to disconnect the radio harness plugs to add the adapter,  I didn't have any issues with the "Theft-Lock". I guess I was lucky  :dunno:
You will probably be a lot happier with your adapter.
It's nice to have the steering wheel controls and iPod charging if you have an iPod and use it a lot.
I only have a $25 MP3 player that I only use occasionally so I could'nt see paying that much

Chief said:
Will this work on other 03+ GM vehicles with XM - are you looking for the same color wires?

I would LOVE to do this on my GP!
Hey Chief,
I checked the diagram for your '05 GP and the wire colors and positions are the same. Get To Work :woot:

Web said:

Hey Web
Did you do this mod?
If so how did it turn out?
I wanna know :cool:

Back