• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Instrument cluster silent recall expands

DougD

SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
Letter came today offering me this solution for my '03.

I have had fuel gauge issues sporadically, I guess it'll get replaced now.

Of course, if I replace it myself, I can seek reimbursement (up to value of the dealer's charge).

Escalade Platinum, perhaps?

I received my letter yesterday as well.

With 130K miles I am beyond any help.

But thankfully have not had any issues!

Damn I already replaced mine under my extended warranty!  I just got the stock cluster + the tranny temp guage.  Would've liked to get one of them fancy clusters!

Just got my letter today.... no problems yet... :B:

How big is this recall? will my o4 be covered?? I like your idea about upgrading the panel at gm's expense.

Received my notice today . It reads Do not take your vehicle into the GM dealer unless you suspect a problem....  how would I know if theres a problem?  :rolleyes: :laugh: I had the gauges shut down completely one time when I first got the AV and took it into the dealership, they did a diagnostic on it and charged me $80.00  :E:

ohiobellboy said:
How big is this recall? will my o4 be covered?? I like your idea about upgrading the panel at gm's expense.
04's were the first to be covered

Got my letter today.  Not a recall, just letting you know that you might have a problem.

They will cover it for 7 years from the date that it was put in service, or 70K miles which ever comes first.

Got the letter for my 2003 yesterday.

Doug:

So I guess I did not read my letter carefully enough, you are suggesting I may be able to buy a cluster upgrade, take that bill send to GM and request reiburshment (assuming I was replacing due to failure of course).  Any idea what the value of the dealer's charge is? 

SpottyJ said:
? Any idea what the value of the dealer's charge is??
I guess one way to know is call the dealership for a quote  :rolleyes:

TLB said:
I guess one way to know is call the dealership for a quote? :rolleyes:

I guess my point was, is there a pre-determined GM's reimbursement maximum for planning purposes?  If it is a dealer replacement value, that is subjective and variable.  If I were to call my dealer, I would expect that amount would vary from another dealer in another state.

If I call my dealer and receive a quote of $450 for cluster, program and install, and then arrange for a replacement outside of a GM dealer and send in a receipt for $450, I would wonder if GM is going to cover.

But thanks for your helpful reply.

I don't know what GM will cover at this point, I myself was planning on a little visit to check the time allocated :)

I called on my letter yesterday.  I have already replaced mine through primepower.  I got a huumer cluster with the tranny gauge.  GM is looking into reimursement for me.  SHe is suppose to call by friday to let me know.  I will post as soon as i hear.  I only paid $350 for my cluster, but if they want to give me $450, that is cool too

i wish i would have known about this reimbursement thing sooner.  i already have a cluster i could stick in myself and get reimbursed for. :E:  this could save me time, and a possibly a headache.

Is this letter being sent out to all '03 Av owners, or just original Av owners.  I'm not the original owner, but the dealership does have my address and information on file. 

I haven't had any problems with my gauges, but I wouldn't rule it out.  Is there a limit on mileage?

Thanks.

heine12oz said:
I called on my letter yesterday. I have already replaced mine through primepower. I got a huumer cluster with the tranny gauge. GM is looking into reimursement for me. SHe is suppose to call by friday to let me know. I will post as soon as i hear. I only paid $350 for my cluster, but if they want to give me $450, that is cool too

You won't get more than your invoice shows.

The GM approved price is the CAP.  If you spent $500, and the cap is 450, you'd get 450 and eat the 50.  If you spent 350, you get 350.

gn85 said:
Is this letter being sent out to all '03 Av owners, or just original Av owners. I'm not the original owner, but the dealership does have my address and information on file.

I haven't had any problems with my gauges, but I wouldn't rule it out. Is there a limit on mileage?

Thanks.

7 yr/70k miles

Guess what I got in the mail yesterday and no I'm not the original owner, but I do let the dealer do all the maintenance so they know I own it. I also registered it with www.mygmlink.com

BTW I'm on my 3 rd cluster.

Do you that it to the dealer at all ???

If ya don't they may not know you own it and are still sending stuff to the original owner.

I got mine in the mail Tue as well, probably won't be able to make use of it though since I got one from ebay with the tranny temp gauge, grrrr

Didit

Got a receipt for that, try to get reimbursed it's that second page.  (y)

Back