• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Anyone replace front axle seal?

butterfingarz

I have had this problem for quite some time as embarassed i am to say since i take such good care of my truck. Dealership said i need to replace the front drivers side axle seal. I bought the 18 dollar seal but they say its a 3 hour job which i bull and im struggling to pay for gas on this thing and would like to replace myself. I have seen that people have done this themselves and is pretty common. I also have the pdf's i found on here but im still really confused and wanted to see if anyone had pics or more in depth advise.

I did not have the heart to tell him. Those are the inner seals you have to replace, you have to take the front diff out to get the seals out

MichiganSilver03 said:
I did not have the heart to tell him. Those are the inner seals you have to replace, you have to take the front diff out to get the seals out

only pull the dif to do a berring change not for the seals only!

the drivers side is easy. Unbolt the axle and pop out the hub and change the seal.

passenger side sucks, the side shaft has to come out, then disassembled . then back in with out loosing a spring. The instructions are all here on the site. I used them! doing mine. the 2500 is even worse on the passenger side

Attachments

• akav.jpg
    akav.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 382
"the drivers side is easy. Unbolt the axle and pop out the hub and change the seal."

-Can i get a little more detail than that??? ???

I am replacing the drivers side only. I have read the pdf's ItsStopher provided. What im confused about now is do i have to take apart the outer axle housing to replace the inner axle seal? Can i just take the 6 bolts off and slip the axle out and replace the seal without taking my entire front drivers end apart like the picture?

Just so im sure 7th picture down on the pdf #2 is the axle seal i need to replace?

in the bottom pic you posted. Be sure you marked how everything is aligned first. Un bolt the 6 bolts. lower half shaft out of the way. then pop out the rest of the flange out of the diff.
I used a pry bar to evenly motivate it out. resistance holds it in. Then change the seal. Tap the flange back in. I used a 4x4. Bolt half shaft back in.

OK let me get this all strait. Still a little confused i think because of terminology.

This is what the pdf says:
  4. If only replacing the left side seal, perform the following steps:
        -    Place an alignment mark between the inner axle shaft and the wheel drive shaft.
        -    Disconnect the wheel drive shaft from the inner axle shaft.
        -    Remove the inner axle shaft using a hammer and a brass drift.
        -    Remove the inner axle shaft seal using a suitable seal remover tool.

Step 1. What am i trying to keep aligned with making a small mark? Do the six bolts go on only one way?
Step 2. This is removing the 6 bolts and moving out of way. Got it.
Step 3. This is where i use a prybar to motivate the 6 bolt flange/inner axle out from front diff? Or hammer and piece of wood?
Step 4. Seal will be still on the diff can this come off without using a slide hammer?

butterfingarz said:
Step 1. What am i trying to keep aligned with making a small mark? Do the six bolts go on only one way?
Step 2. This is removing the 6 bolts and moving out of way. Got it.
Step 3. This is where i use a prybar to motivate the 6 bolt flange/inner axle out from front diff? Or hammer and piece of wood?
Step 4. Seal will be still on the diff can this come off without using a slide hammer?

1. The mark is for the axleshaft to the diff(yes the 6 bolts) They don't only go in one way, and I don't really think it is a needed step. No different than replacing the axleshaft with a new one if not in exactly the same place. Some people feel better with thing exactly the way they were. To each they're own...

2.  (y)

3. Yes. Motivate the piece out of the diff. Prybar works, as does smacking it from the back side with a hammer and a blunt object.

4. Pry seal out of diff. Prybar works well, as does a seal puller.

Hardest part will be finding something the right size to get the new seal back in with equal pressure around it. Of course, swinging a hammer in the tight quarters is also cause to be "creative". Whatever you use, be careful around the seal lips so you don't damage them. Check the stubshaft for wear from the seal also. If a pronounce ridge is there, use some emory cloth and polish it up some.

I think you got it. Sorry if I have my own pet names for everything. Brain probs.... The alignment marks ar just so it all goes together how it came apart.  I forget half the time to do that myself. Not somuch a big deal anymore.

butterfingarz said:
Can i just take the 6 bolts off and slip the axle out and replace the seal without taking my entire front drivers end apart like the picture?

LOL, I just cought that.  I just love that pic and like posting it..... has nothing to do with the thread with the exception that I did happen to replace the seal........ Kinda a scared strait pic..... "All you got to do is.....!" 

Ya that pic scared me.

Before i start i have to get 2 qts of some dexron 80w-90 and find something like a large socket that i can use to put the seal in and im good to go.

OK hope someone can help in time but im having difficulties trying to get the axle shaft out of the diff. I have used a pry bar and also smacking it with a piece of wood  and hammer and it doesn't budge. I guessing im not hitting it hard enough but im afraid to hit it any harder since i have ever done this before.

Is there something i missing here?

I'm done finally. Took me a total of 5 hours to do with setbacks and frustration included. Less time than if i would have taken my truck to the dealership and had to get a ride back down there. Not to mention the almost 300 bucks i saved doing this myself. But i couldn't have done it without all your guys help. Thanks a lot!

butterfingarz said:
I'm done finally. Took me a total of 5 hours to do with setbacks and frustration included. Less time than if i would have taken my truck to the dealership and had to get a ride back down there. Not to mention the almost 300 bucks i saved doing this myself. But i couldn't have done it without all your guys help. Thanks a lot!
It's a great feeling when a plan comes together  (y) Congrats on your success.
That's why this site is so awesome. AV lovers helping AV lovers it don't get better than that.

butterfingarz said:
nice job! 

Hello,

This post is very helpful, and I  now think I'd like to attempt replacing my leaky left front axle seal.  I have a couple questions:

1) Do I need to remove the axle hub nut, so I can pull the drive axle out of the the wheel?  Or is there room to just push the drive shaft off to the side and still have clearance to remove the axle shaft from the diff?

2) Does anyone have an actual photo of what the seal looks like inside the diff after the axle shaft is removed?  I'm not exactly sure what I'm trying to pry out of there.  Maybe it will be obvious when I get the axle shaft out.

Thanks.

He is probably still at the store looking for Dexron 80W-90  :laugh:

There is enough room to pull the axle out without removing the hub nut or even taking off the wheel. I dont have a photo of what the seal looks like but your going to have to go to the dealership and buy it anyways. Its about 3 inches wide hard rubber with a metal collar on one side. I used a large screwdriver to gently pry it out without damaging anything else.

I just replaced my front axle seal.  It turned out to be the right one, not the left one, that was leaking.  More work.  :mad:

With the help of this thread, it took me 3 1/2 hours. Saved about $350.00, based on the dealer estimate.  Great feeling of satisfaction!  :D

had my front diff rebuilt a couple of weeks ago. mine was convered under warranty.

Alright hate to say it but 10 months later and its time to do the right side now. Think I'm going to tackle this one and the ISS too soon.

Any pointers on the right side other than its a lot harder?

my dealer just informed me both of mine are leaking.  :E: quoted $380 to replace both. how long until the absolutly need to be replaced? I am thinking of waiting to do them until I put the lift on it.

angshan said:
my dealer just informed me both of mine are leaking.  :E: quoted $380 to replace both. how long until the absolutly need to be replaced? I am thinking of waiting to do them until I put the lift on it.
I guess you could keep them topped off and you could wait as long as you wanted.  $380 is a pretty good price for both.  The right one was lot of work for me.

Back