• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Yakima Bike Rack Install

BigBlockBirch

SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
After attempting different ways of hauling our bikes when hauling the camper, I decided to bite the bullet and get a bike rack.

Installation was easy.  The thing is sturdy.  I can hang on the rear bar and it will not move.

List of Materials:

Yakima
(2) 48" round bars
(4) Q-Towers
(4) Q30 Clips
( 8 ) SRS Locksets
(3) Raptor Bike Racks

That is all it takes.  The clips are "L" shaped and slip under the bed panels.  When latched, they will not move.  The racks themselves are easy to use.  Just place the bike in the tray and slide the bar up to the bikes main bar and clamp it down.

I ended up buying mine at www.RacknRoad.com .  They seemed to have the "best" price with 10% off and free shipping. 

YakimaBikeRackMod001.jpg

YakimaBikeRackMod002.jpg

YakimaBikeRackMod003.jpg

Same setup I used. Too bad I didn't know you were looking for that setup. Now that my Av is gone, the rack is sitting in the basement looking for a new home.

AVid

Congrats!  That's the same setup I use on long-haul trips... you're going to like it alot.

Looks great!  That looks exactly like what I need.

AVid, do you want to sell it?  I imagine it would fit a '07. 

I can fit the kid's bike in the max-door of the camper but I need a place to carry the wife's bike and mine.

AVid said:
Same setup I used. Too bad I didn't know you were looking for that setup. Now that my Av is gone, the rack is sitting in the basement looking for a new home.

AVid

:E: :E: :E:  Oh Well.

Silverghost...go for it.  It should save you some $$$ especially you both are in Michigan. 

Thanks for the props.

John

SilverGhost said:
Looks great!? That looks exactly like what I need.

AVid, do you want to sell it?? I imagine it would fit a '07.?

I can fit the kid's bike in the max-door of the camper but I need a place to carry the wife's bike and mine.

We camp with a group of people from MI.  In fact, I believe with are going to be camping up there (Waffle Farms?) some time this year...

What kind of camper do you have?  We just traded our old one in on a new Eagle 314BDS...

SilverGhost said:
Looks great!  That looks exactly like what I need.

AVid, do you want to sell it?  I imagine it would fit a '07. 

Yep...it's for sale. If your interested send me a PM and I will send the particulars about the bike holders I have. They will fit an 07.

AVid

BigBlockBirch said:
We camp with a group of people from MI.? In fact, I believe with are going to be camping up there (Waffle Farms?) some time this year...

What kind of camper do you have?? We just traded our old one in on a new Eagle 314BDS...
Not familiar with that campground.? Where is it at??

Wow that is a big trailer, nice open floor plan.? We have a 2005 Jayco Jayfeather 25G.? Here is a link about it.? We love it!? We had a pop-up for 10 years before this. Our 2 kids like to bring 2 friends so the 4 bunk beds work great.? This also why I am probably one of the few AVs with a front bench seat.?

You should come up for the Silver Lake GTG.? Silver Lake GTG

SilverGhost said:
Not familiar with that campground.  Where is it at? 

Wow that is a big trailer, nice open floor plan.  We have a 2005 Jayco Jayfeather 25G.  Here is a link about it.  We love it!  We had a pop-up for 10 years before this. Our 2 kids like to bring 2 friends so the 4 bunk beds work great.  This also why I am probably one of the few AVs with a front bench seat. 

You should come up for the Silver Lake GTG.  Silver Lake GTG

Been away for awhile...

Here is a link to Waffle Farms. It is in Coldwater, MI.

The Dunes look awesome...

Big Block, I've been thinking about mounting a similar rack for some time now, but have just now gotten around to doing some research.  I assume you drilled holes through the bed covers to install the rack, which I have been reluctant to do.  Can you describe for me exactly how you mounted it to the covers?  Any other tips or lessons learned from you own experience would be appreciated.  Thanks.

No holes to drill at all.  This thing just clamps on.

Just order the stuff listed in the first post...no mods to the truck at all.

I actually just lift it off as one piece when not using it...  (y)

Wow, that's great!  Thanks for the quick response. 

P.S. Just ordered everything on Amazon.  Thanks again for the info.  I am so thrilled I don't have to do any drilling.

I just posted about this subject.  I like your system better than drilling (which I was contemplating).  I just didn't know what Q Clip would work.  Thanks.

sofaking said:
I just posted about this subject.  I like your system better than drilling (which I was contemplating).  I just didn't know what Q Clip would work.  Thanks.

You need the Q30 clips...

I just received all the pieces for the rack on Friday and installed it in about a half an hour.  Wow, that was easy.  I was also amazed at how easy it is to move the racks around on the bed covers or to remove them, once the set up is complete.  I've got mine set up for surfboards right now, but will add ski racks the next time I go to the mountains.  Thanks BBB for saving me a lot of money and trouble trying to buy an extra set of covers and then drilling holes in them and jury rigging something that would not have worked as well or been as flexible as these Yakima racks. 

Big Block (or anyone else with knowledge),

any idea how much this complete set up weighs?  I have an Auto-cover and dont want to have to remove it everytime I want to open the bed cover.

I am not sure you would be able to do it. 

I am reaching if you just unlock the back one's and let the other one's hold it.

I wouldn't recommend it.

I don't have one so cannot be certain. 

It is real easy to remove...four latches...

yeah, might not work.  My cover has 2 panels instead of 3.  I'm thinking that if the spacing between the front and rear cross bars is adjustable then I should be able to attach both of them to my rear panel.  Now assuming thats possible and assuming the whole set up  weighs less than 15lbs or so, then it should work.

Once you have them adjusted properly, they can be unlatched and moved very, very easily.  This would allow you to slide them to the rear easily. I couldn't tell you how much they weigh, but would be surprised if the basic set-up (the clamps, towers and bars) without the bike racks weighed more than 15 lbs.

Back