• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

REMOVING FRONT AND REAR SEATS

revjim

I wish to remove the front and rears.  Putting in carpet...however, will I set off the airbag.  Some said just disconect and lift out.  If I remove the disconnect the battery wouldn't that be a failsafe way of not setting off the airbag.  Your thoughts are needed.  Thanks.

Do you have power front Seats ???

OK it's going to take a couple minute to type out this, but here are the basic.

The seats are bolt in with torx bolts and nuts and you will need Deepwell torx sockets(anti-theft), but there are ways around them

You can't disconnect the battery because you are going to have to move seats to get to the bolts.

Pull the fuse in the underhood fuse box labelled SIR to disable the airbag, the system has a backup power so you have to wait 15 minute after you pull the fuse.

You will need a set of Deepwell Metric sockets

MichiganSilver03 said:
OK it's going to take a couple minute to type out this, but here are the basic.

The seats are bolt in with torx bolts and nuts and you will need Deepwell torx sockets(anti-theft), but there are ways around them

You can't disconnect the battery because you are going to have to move seats to get to the bolts.

Pull the fuse in the underhood fuse box labelled SIR to disable the airbag, the system has a backup power so you have to wait 15 minute after you pull the fuse.

You will need a set of Deepwell Metric sockets
is all of this really necessary?  I've had my seats out a few times and only disconnected the plug under the seats. 

instead of a torx socket, you can remove the bolts with a normal deepwell socket.

It's coming just a lot of steps involved,
If he is doing carpet gotta get the console and back seat and disconnect air bag.
I trying to give as much detail as i can. back shortly

revjim said:
I wish to remove the front and rears.  Putting in carpet...however, will I set off the airbag.  Some said just disconect and lift out.  If I remove the disconnect the battery wouldn't that be a failsafe way of not setting off the airbag.  Your thoughts are needed.  Thanks.

Do you have a console with Bose radio ???

OK I think I got everything

First remove the dash surround

Turn the ignition key to run do not start
Put you foot on the brakes to stop the car from rolling
Move the shift lever to 1 or L (low)
Tilt the steering wheel all the way down
Pull the dash surround off it?s held on with clips
Put shifter back in back in park and turn the ignition off.

Remove the fuse labeled SIR wait 15 minutes for backup power to drain

DO NOT turn the key on after this step, or it will set a air bag code and may phone into On Star

Front Seats

Carefully remove the lower trim (plastic stuff) it pulls off and remove the door sills they pry straight up

Move the Seats all the way back and remove the front seats bolts from the seat rails, these are Torx nuts and carefully remove them using a 11mm or 15mm deepwell socket (They will not fit tightly, but you can get them off with one or the other size. If you drop the nut in the rail which is easy to do you will need a magnet to get it out.

Move the seats all the way up and remove the Torx bolts  using a 11mm or 15mm deepwell socket (They will not fit tightly, but you can get them off with one or the other size

Disconnect the Yellow Air Bag connection at the back of the seat, first remove the safety pin in the connector then pull up on the catch and slide the connector apart, don?t pull on the wires.

Disconnect the main seat harness by first removing the safety pin (If you have one) and disconnect the harness by pushing down the catch and pulling it apart.

You can now lift the seats up and out of the AV. The seats are heavy and have to be lifted up and over some locator pins and rear heat ducts (DO NOT DRAG IT OUT)

Console

The console is held down by 4 seat bolts which you have removed already, but it?s held in by 2 more bolts in front of the console 

Remove the upper console bezel; disconnect the cig lighter wire connection for the back of it.

You will now see the 2 bolts holding the front, remove them.

Pull the console cup holder straight up to remove it.
Below the cup holder you will see the console wiring harness connector, slide the white locking bar up and you will 

Carefully remove the console, make sure the main wiring harness is not stressed and slides away from the console. You also have to watch the duct for the rear console vents make sure it slides out from the main air duct system

854810.gif

Rear Seat

Remove the front and rear trim cover.

Remove the jack assembly

Remove the trim (plastic) to access the seat bolts

Remove the bolts

Remove the seats

do they come out as one piece.  It looks like the longer side should seperate from the shorter, but I have a little tack weld holding the two together.  Your advice is appreciated.

yes rear seats are seperate

dont have any pics... but if your gonna get out the tools to remove seats you'll see which seat comes off first

of course i have an o2 2500 so i speak of my experience with my truck...
but they should be the same

a few notes:
remove the jack first, and bracket
dig out the deep well sockets
get some gloves, :) war wounds
when you remove them from truck put seats to normal seating position
secure with a strap if ya got one, it could unfold while carrying ??
i didnt, but had to catch it once.. so...

also i think i mine had a bolt holding the two togeter near the seat belt thats bolted with the seat,  but not 100%

pretty self explanatory when its all loose, once you lift a little bit you'll see em separate

good luck, what ya adding under there??? curious minds wanna know

revjim said:
looks like I have a tack weld holding them together.? IS this normal?

The bottoms will separate from the back

Attachments

• 273782_130_full.jpg
    273782_130_full.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 436
motodj said:
good luck, what ya adding under there??? curious minds wanna know

He is putting carpet in

my seats do seperate but they have a small tack weld holding them together.  This is interesting.  I have a loaded 04 with leather etc.  I can cut the tack weld.

Please post pic of tack weld....

GOT THEM OUT...no tack weld present.  My bad eyes!  It was a piece of cake!  Thanks for the help!!!

I was just kidding revjim glad you got it out, because I looked and could not figure  out what you were referring to.

revjim glad you got it done, but taking the interior our is far from a piece of cake, I've had to do it a couple of times it's not easy. Now the bad new I going to replace my carpet too this spring.

Since you have it out you may consider adding some sound deadening or insulating material.

Absolutely BRILLIANT tutorial MichiganSilver03. I ordered my carpet awhile back and decided today was the day to install it. All in all, about a 3 hour process. Started at 5:30 and ended at 8:30. Thanks again for all of your help. Definitely didn't find it as hard as anticipated.

No problem I've done most of this stuff and I got very valuable info from here, but some times it just has to be in one spot.

Well - had to remove my seats for a second time to take out the carpet again. Still cant track down this miserable leak. Hopefully now that all the carpet is out, I can find out where it's coming from... thanks again for the great instructions!  :E:

:rolleyes:

need to check under the front of your truck to see if you ac is dripping water. if not you acculmator lower housing is broke and need to be replace. i have that problem now.

Back