Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
07/23/14 06:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tailgate Latch  (Read 7998 times)
Shanes 02 Avalanche

Teach your children well, they are the future.

WWW Awards
« on: 02/11/08 02:13 PM »

Has anyone else had one of their tailgate latches fail to work. I have my driver side latch not closing. I was hoping someone might know why and how to fix it.

Thanks
Shane

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr
RENORCR
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

(aka "RENO") Too many mods, too little time!!!

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 02/11/08 11:33 PM »

How is it not working?

To test latch I do this.
With tailgate down.
Use a screwdriver to push the latch into a locked position.
If it locks, unlock it with the tailgate handle. Nothing wrong.

If the latch says spring back to a open position, not latching.
It's just a rod adjustment. You can do this with the tailgate open.
Under the tailgate bezel. You should see a green plastic clip. Clamped around a threaded rod.
Open the plastic clip. Push the latch into a locked position. Re-close the plastic clip. Test with the handle. If everything works. Go ahead and close the tailgate and give a good tug.

2003 1500 Z66 Black (SVO/PI) - BLT: 11/02  Arrived: 4/03
Light Mods: Amber FT/DRL's, Blue/Red LED, Hood Light, Kickpanel lights, Maglight mod
Ext Mods: FTS8002, Z71 Skid Plate, Frt/Rr Combo WAAG guards, Manik Taillght Guard, Custom Frt/Rr 2500 Wheel Moulding, Husky MudGuards
Engine Mods: 145 Amp Alt, Aux Trans Cooler, Flexalite Oil Cooler, Painless Dual Battery
Shanes 02 Avalanche

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: 02/12/08 07:10 AM »

It is not locking in place when I push it down with a screwdriver. I will try this fix you mentioned and let you know the out come.

Thanks
Shane

You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr
White Buffalo
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 02/12/08 07:22 AM »

Chevy had to replace the tailgate latch assembly twice on my 05 before it worked correctly.

If it has ever been frozen and forced open, they said it damages them.

2005 LT Z71, 4.10, Summit White, Dashmat, Ambers, Stock.
Shanes 02 Avalanche

WWW Awards
« Reply #4 on: 02/12/08 07:31 AM »

It does get dam cold here but it has not worked properly since hey replace the cables for me a couple years back. I just did not realize it until now.

Shane

.....Abr
4rvfun
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

02 Avalanche 2500 4X2

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 02/12/08 07:41 AM »

Mine requires WD40 to keep things working or it starts to stick. I spray both sides, into the lock and the under the handle. It has become a regular thing I do every couple of months.

02, 2500, Avy, white, 4X2 (bought 6/02, traded-in 2/08)
08, 2500, Silverado, white, 6.0, LT2, Z71 4X4
dhpro

RIDE

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 02/12/08 09:24 AM »

had mine fixed twice, and its still not working right. Part of it is that they don't fix it prop. It means a complete new mechanism, and they have to lift off the plastic fairing on top of the door as well (which they also keep screwing up!). Seen it on several other Avvs, but as far as I know its not on a Bulletin. R/

2004 Z-71 Built 370/MP122/4L80E - Bugs, bugs...bugs!
http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u138/dhpro/
Shanes 02 Avalanche

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: 02/12/08 09:58 AM »

OK I took it to the stealer and they said I had a bent rod and it would cost $275.00 to fix it. Well I will be dammed if I paid them that without trying to fix it myself first. So I removed the plastic piece around the tailgate handle. I shot some WD40 in there for good measure. I then unhooked the green plastic clamp thingy. I took a screwdriver and locked the side latch. Then I used a screwdrive to unlock it. I then went back and connected the green plastic  thingy. I then used the screwdriver to lock the latch again and pulled the handle to release. This worked perfect. So I closed the tailgate and still could not get the latch to close. So I loosened the latch on the side of the tailgate and moved it upwards towards the sky as far as it would go, using a screwdriver for leverage. Tightened it back down and TADA it works perfectly. And the total cost to me was 15 minutes of my time. Take that you dam Chevy Stealer's.

Shane

.....Abr
shandar
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

I Love my Avalanche :)

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 02/12/08 10:29 AM »

Big laughter with tears way to go Thumbs up! you know they would of done the same thing and took all day to do it . Glad to see you took care of it your self in record time and saved yourself $275.00

2005 Bermuda Blue LT 1500  2WD 4:10S (has Amber's & a  K&N; drop in filter, and Tornado, Extreme Sail panel LED:"s, white/Green ghost led's
White Buffalo

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 02/12/08 11:01 AM »

You go BOY!!   Thumbs up!

I was under warranty when mine was fixed so, I let the stealers do it.  If it breaks again I'll have to try your manuver!!  Roll Eyes

Shanes 02 Avalanche

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: 02/12/08 11:47 AM »

So here is the nice letter I emailed to GM and the stealer Cole Chevrolet":

General Manager at Cole Chevrolet
Pocatello, Idaho

I brought my 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche into your Service department on 2/12/2002; to have a faulty tailgate latch looked at. After waiting about 15 minutes, the service manager informed me that my tailgate handle was bent and the rod to the latch was not moving and the whole assembly needed to be replaced. He then explained that this would cost $275.00 to repair.
   So I brought my Avalanche home and went online to, www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com, and looked up this problem. I found a forum that explained to remove the bezel, spray with WD40. Then unhook the green clamp. Lock the latch manually using a screwdriver. Then unlatch using a screwdriver. Hook the green clamp back on close the tailgate. If this does not work try adjusting the location of the latch. So I did all that and adjusted the latch upwards about 1/8th of an inch. Now my tailgate works perfectly.
   What I am writing you about is how upset I am that your GM Certified Technician could not spend the 2 minutes it took me to verify his diagnoses. I feel that the service department was jut trying to take advantage of me. I do not see how they can justify telling me that I needed to spend $275.00 of my money for a 2 minute repair. I am not a automotive technician, I am a disabled Carpenter.
   I am going to forward this to whoever I feel with do what is right with the information. You do as you see fit as well.

Sincerely;
Shane Morton
Smorton213@cableone.net

.....Abr
White Buffalo

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 02/12/08 12:06 PM »

You tell them Shane!!   Thumbs up!

I'm having issue with service myself!  See 10 service calls in one year posting!

WILDFIRE

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 02/12/08 03:50 PM »

glad you got it figured out, now you have extra money for mods Woot!

sittin by the phone, waitin for the lord to send my calling
Question~ What are you doing in my house? Answer~ Bleeding out
RENORCR
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

(aka "RENO") Too many mods, too little time!!!

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 02/13/08 09:13 PM »

Glad you were able to solve your problem and save some mod money.  Thumbs up!

2003 1500 Z66 Black (SVO/PI) - BLT: 11/02  Arrived: 4/03
Light Mods: Amber FT/DRL's, Blue/Red LED, Hood Light, Kickpanel lights, Maglight mod
Ext Mods: FTS8002, Z71 Skid Plate, Frt/Rr Combo WAAG guards, Manik Taillght Guard, Custom Frt/Rr 2500 Wheel Moulding, Husky MudGuards
Engine Mods: 145 Amp Alt, Aux Trans Cooler, Flexalite Oil Cooler, Painless Dual Battery
AViator

More fun per gallon!

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 02/15/08 10:05 PM »

I love reading tips such as this here!  My tailgate has been giving me fits when the temperatures drop.  Twice now it has popped open, and of course it does it at the worst time, pulling out into traffic while accelerating quickly. Luckily nothing in the bed fell out!

I'm going to try and do the adjustment method discussed above. So far I have used WD40 with decent results.  When it warms up into the 50+ F range, it seems to close/latch normally, so I still think it's a cold weather issue.

Chris KH2PM
*SOLD* December 2013
-----------------------
Black '05 2500 Avalanche LT 4x4 ● 496 ● 3.73:1 G80
TNR ● Sunroof ● Rear seat DVD
dano

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 03/31/08 10:12 AM »

My tailgate kept popping open until I tried this fix.  I thought someone rear ended me the first time it opened on the freeway.  What a thud!  Good thing my tailgate cable held up. 

Let's make a deal.  You don't smoke around me, and I won't fart around you.
Dune
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 03/31/08 10:18 AM »

Way to go Shayne... you tell 'em.

If you have five dollars and Chuck Norris has five dollars, Chuck Norris has more money than you.
WILDFIRE

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 03/31/08 04:38 PM »

My tailgate kept popping open until I tried this fix.  I thought someone rear ended me the first time it opened on the freeway.  What a thud!  Good thing my tailgate cable held up. 
that would give you quite a scare Shocked

sittin by the phone, waitin for the lord to send my calling
Question~ What are you doing in my house? Answer~ Bleeding out
CDRASS4

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 04/20/08 11:29 AM »

Hey!  I just bought a 2003 Lanche in  mint condition. For the past 2 days, the tailgate will not either unlock or has frozen.  I did a search and don't understand the how you guys fixed it.  My stealer quoted me at least $300.00 to repair it.  If it's only linkage, what's involved in the "home" repair?

Thanks!

Chuck
CDRASS4

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 04/20/08 11:45 AM »

I can't get the gate open to even look at it, unless there is a way to disassemble it with it locked closed?

CD
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #20 on: 04/21/08 06:27 AM »

I can't get the gate open to even look at it, unless there is a way to disassemble it with it locked closed?

CD
open midgate inside
and crawl in.. makes it easier if you unlatch bed covers too..

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
orionfree

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 04/22/08 02:26 AM »

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,69059.0.html

If dismantling the plate behind the handle doesn't work, you can use method at this link to get in from the outside.  Just pop the latch of which side is stuck or both if necessary.  Hope this helps!

Orionfree~~

CDRASS4

Awards
« Reply #22 on: 04/23/08 09:45 AM »

Thanks much!  I'll give it a try later today.  From the outside, everything looks rusted or corroded.

Chuck
MaxDrag

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #23 on: 04/25/08 10:06 PM »

Hi all,

I had to take the plastic cover off from around the handle on mine last year and since lubricating it, it hasn't given me any problems. You really can't lubricate the parts unless you take the cover off.

You might considering using white grease instead of WD40. WD40 will fix the problem in the short term, but will not last long.

2002 Indigo Blue Metallic 1500 Z71, split bench front seat (seats 6), Heavy Duty Trailering Package (incl. Tranny Cooler mod)

Stealth Offroad bumper, just love that bumper.

2013 Silver Black Diamond Edition, split bench front seat, trailering package.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: