• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

IGNITION SWITCH

AVY14

my truck has giving me weird problems lately... the brake and abs light is on and my signals work when they want to... i am looking to changing my ignition switch but when i went to autozone, they have 2 kinds... they have a 10 pin and a 14 pin... im wondering which one is the one i need... thanks

I guess the first thing that we need to know is,,,

What year AV do you have?
(Or is that in that white box in your sig? I can't see most hosting sites from work.)

doubt those issues are ignitions switch.

tranny error codes and stuck in 3rd gear.
gages working then not working are signs of failed ignition switch..

for ABs check from hubs

I agree with ygmn...the symptoms you describe do not indicate the typical ignition switch failure.

AVid

sorry i forgot to mention that the my dash also stopped working while im on the freeway... the one where it looks like i just had the key pointed to acc.  i thought my truck was going to die in the middle of the road then the dash started working again (maybe 4 seconds)... i do not have the transmission problems though... its weird because sometimes the brake and abs light doesnt show up at all for a whole day then the next day, there it goes again... i assumed it was the ignition switch b/c some of the symptoms are the same but some i dont have... weird... thanks for the help

i have a 2002 1500 chevy avalanche w/ 110,xxx miles

Brake and ABS are not symptoms of Ignitions switch...

but gages not working are.

could have 2 problems

im going to change the ignition swith within this week and hopefully it fixes it, if not then i have to check the brakes and the abs

My whole cluster went dead yesterday but came back to life 10 minutes later. Tomorrow I am heading to PA pulling a trailer so I went and changed the ignition switch. It was pretty easy using Sperry's old post about the TSB  :love: The hardest part was getting the switch gears and key cylinder to line up correctly. I could probably do it again in 10 minutes if I had to  :love:

Can a bad ignition switch cause only one of the gauges to act up?  I have been having an issue with my violtage gauge where it does not sweep at start and gets stuck and doesnt move.

TA2AV said:
Can a bad ignition switch cause only one of the gauges to act up?  I have been having an issue with my violtage gauge where it does not sweep at start and gets stuck and doesnt move.

Not likely.. that is more then likely a bad stepper motor for that gage...
search STEPPER MOTOR

Just did a search and read that a gauge bulb not working can cause problems too.  What kind of problems does a instrument lamp out cause?  My oil pressure lamp just went out recently too. any chance the two problems are connected?

Doubt it..
wat year do youhave?
stepper motor is 99% problem with 2003+ gage issues

2004 Z66 with 120,000 miles.  Where would I find a new stepper motor for the voltgae gauge? do all the gauges in the instrument panel use the same part number stepper motor?

TA2AV said:
2004 Z66 with 120,000 miles.  Where would I find a new stepper motor for the voltgae gauge? do all the gauges in the instrument panel use the same part number stepper motor?

I am sure the info is in here somewhere..
since I have 2002 I have not read that much detail on subject....

check some of the threads in ths PROBLEm SYSTEMS section..
I am sure threads exist with what you need or do what most do..

replace entire cluster with a better looking one... See MOD: INTERIOR section for threads on that..

Need help!
Not sure if this is the same problem but I have an 02 Avy with 117K on it. When I start it the odometer is blank as well as some other gages. When it does this the tans acts like it is in 4th gear. It will move like this but takes off really slow. If I turn it off and back on it sometimes goes right away. Other times I need to start it a couple of times. I had it do this one time when it was about two years old but it never did it again until two years later. Now it has re-appeared and is doing it all the time. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sure sounds like a ignition switch I had a similar problem on a car it was the same symptom no odometer and no lights on cluster

Did it affect the trans not shifting on your car. Sometimes even when the odometer and cluster light up, the trans will shift into drive and reverse really hard, then same thing , if I re-start it most of the time it will go away and shift fine. other times I will re-start it and odometer blank again.

Thanks for your help.

It would not start the injectors would not pulse, no codes no check engine lights.
Have you read this post, more than likely it stuck in 3 gear not forth gear.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,64603.0.html

Back