Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
10/30/14 07:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repair of the sticky speedometer problem  (Read 20223 times)
GaleRich

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« on: 03/01/08 07:43 PM »

My 2005 had the sticky speedometer problem.  The readings would go whacky and it may still say I was going 60 mpg after I stopped.  Since Chevy had not issued a service work order / recall on the 2005 as they did for this problem on the 03-04, I decided to fix it myself. 

With good instructions from another member of this board I completed this task today.  I took some pictures and documented the repair process.  It was not very hard and the repair cost me about $22 instead of $250 - $500.  If anyone wants the instructions and pictures here is a link to the file.

http://www.sound-expressions.com/rides/avaspdrpr.pdf

I could upload it here if I knew how?

Cheers,
Rich
Rich@sound-expressions.com
« Last Edit: 03/02/08 10:29 AM by GaleRich » Logged
WILDFIRE
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 03/01/08 08:12 PM »

won't come up on firefox, but i got to see it using IE, nice repair job  Thumbs up!

that's a really nice looking cluster! 

sittin by the phone, waitin for the lord to send my calling
Question~ What are you doing in my house? Answer~ Bleeding out
GaleRich

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 03/02/08 10:05 AM »

"
won't come up on firefox, but i got to see it using IE, nice repair job

that's a really nice looking cluster! 
"

Thanks, I had the link listed as a jpg instead of a pdf.  I just changed the original message to:

This should come up for anyone now.

It looks like the previous owner changed the faceplate as it says USspeeo or something like that on it.  That must be why the service guy at the dealer said he hadn't seen an instrument cluster like that before.  I'm glad I attempted this on my own instead of the costly dealer repair/replacement.  I don't have the skills or knowledge do everything myself, but having this forum sure helps out. 

- Rich

« Last Edit: 03/02/08 10:30 AM by GaleRich » Logged
Tanc Crusher
Charter Member

8100 Vortec Power Plant

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: 03/02/08 10:20 AM »

The link is incorrect. missing the .com portion in it. I kind of suspect firefox not completing the link like IE would.

Brian

(traded)  2003 2500 4x4 Arrival Blue, 8100 vortec, 4L85E, 4.10 Diffs 340hp and 455tq, Date 10-3-03

2007.5 Chevrolet 2500 HD CrewCab LongBed White LTZ with LMM 6.6L Duramax / Allison 6-Speed Auto. 365hp and 650tq  Date 3-20-07
Mods  -  Line of Fire, DashHawk II
DPF Delete, 5" MBRP Turboback Exhaust, EFI-Live with DSP5 tune, Suncoast IV and 1056 converter.

UA Steamfitter from Local 136 Evansville, IN
GaleRich

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 03/02/08 10:31 AM »

Thanks Brian ... I had to fix it again to:

With my slow dial-up internet connection, I don't have the time or patience to verify everything.

- JRich
WILDFIRE
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 03/02/08 02:29 PM »

Thanks Brian ... I had to fix it again to:

With my slow dial-up internet connection, I don't have the time or patience to verify everything.

- JRich

that link works just fine  Thumbs up!

sittin by the phone, waitin for the lord to send my calling
Question~ What are you doing in my house? Answer~ Bleeding out
javaman

Zoom Zoom in my '05 Chevy Avalanche!

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: 05/03/09 08:19 AM »

Anyone still have a copy of this PDF ?

Pic removed exceeded sig pic files size limit of 30kb
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 05/03/09 08:30 AM »

There is a post here that may help you. Don't have the PDF file

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,100915.0.html

2003 2500

Please put your year and model in the signature area ( This Area) before you ask a question it is much easier to answer if we know.
GaleRich

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 05/03/09 08:55 AM »

Sorry, I accidentally removed that file when cleaning up the web site.  Tongue   I put it back where it had been at:

I'm glad someone pointed this out!

- Rich

Anyone still have a copy of this PDF ?

mckay105

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 11/15/10 12:30 PM »

Who can I contact for the stepper motor? 

Steve

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 WBH. 125,xxx miles
Didit
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 11/15/10 01:47 PM »

Ebay, "GM stepper motor"

avalanched2004

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 11/15/10 01:57 PM »

VBery nice write up, I am considering this for my tach.  Thanks.
mckay105

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 11/15/10 06:06 PM »

:thumbsup:Thanks, I never thought that ebay would have them.  Do you recomend changing all ofo them or jsut the speedo.  My speed acted flaky 2 days ago then came back, now it is stuck at 40 and in the driveway.

Jolt
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

Aka Jeronimo, I'm 21 and LOVE my av!

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 11/15/10 06:17 PM »

:thumbsup:Thanks, I never thought that ebay would have them.  Do you recomend changing all ofo them or jsut the speedo.  My speed acted flaky 2 days ago then came back, now it is stuck at 40 and in the driveway.

You might want to slow down, the driveway is no place for speeding

Leather, On*, XM, Bose, Corsa Catback, Hypertech Programmer, Dealer DVD headrests, Factory Nav, 20's, HIDs on low, all LED lights + Extra Puddle under steps, K&N, Sub interface+sub, IPOD interface, Escalade Platinum Gauges....
Others:
55 Chevy stepside Blu/blk
65 Corvette blk/blk
60 Impala Blu/blu - In progress
66 Mustang Blk/blk - In progress
95 Impala Blk/blk
63 Ranchero White/tan - FOR SALE
90 Mustang 5.0 Blk/gry
07 XLR Blk/B
GaleRich

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 11/15/10 06:34 PM »

I recommend replacing them all.  I wasn't sure how easy the job would be. So when the speedo messed up, I replaced the speedo and the gas gage (figured gas was important to be reliable too).  Now that my oil pressure gage has gone out too, I will be taking it apart a second time to finish replacing the rest of the gages. I documented the process and uploaded to the link below.  Now I guess I'll be following my own manual ... glad I documented the process.

- Rich

See:  http://www.sound-expressions.com/rides/avaspdrpr.pdf
Didit

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 11/15/10 08:03 PM »

There is a bonus buy if you buy six of them I think, its a little cheaper than buying six one at a time.  Good luck.  I did mine awhile back and did just one, then went back and did the rest of them, lol., ugh.  The speedo was the toughest one to get calibrated because I have a after market GPS and the mph was not matching, soooo after two attempts and still off, I put it back in without the plastsic shield on the cluster, Not exactly safe to do but found a fairly deserted road set the cruise and slipped the needle on now were on the button.

Didit

mckay105

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 11/16/10 08:04 AM »

Cheesy  Thanks for allyour help.  I ordered the parts today.  I have to drive 13 hours with no speedo but am having it sent to my sister's house, so I can fix it before I head back.  Luckily I have a gps that can tell me my speed so Ill set the cruise at 70 and go with it.  I ordered a full kit.  I am sure that the how to with pics will come into hand.  Thanks for the link.

Steve

avalanched2004

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 11/16/10 01:46 PM »

How much for the whole kit shipped?
Didit

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 11/16/10 02:37 PM »

How much for the whole kit shipped?

Look it up on Ebay, lol

avalanched2004

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 11/17/10 08:13 AM »

IS that where Mckay bought them?

Look it up on Ebay, lol
mckay105

Awards
« Reply #20 on: 11/17/10 09:50 AM »

Yeah I got them off of ebay a set of 7 stepper motors and 12 bulbs-33.88
Chrome gauge bezel from ebay                                                          24.00
White face gauges from whitefacegauges.net (silverado)                  19.99
total                                                                                                     77.87

I decided to do the mods because since I was already going to have the cluster apart I wanted to do something different.  Id rather have a Escalade cluster but Christmas is almost here and at lease my wife is letting me do these. 

I have not found a place to get the needle for the tranny temp but searched this forum and foudn that if I install the motor for it and put the gauge numbers on, it should work.  I just need the needle.  Does anybody knoiw where I can get a needle for it?  I tried ebay and even called the dealership.  I found some for 60 but I dont want to spend that.  I just need a stock needle.  It warmed up a little today so my gauges are working fine, figures.  Thanks for all the help.  this site is Awesome!

Steve

Didit

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 11/17/10 03:14 PM »

Measure the length of your gas gauge needle or one of the other smaller needles, they are all the same, then visit your local junk yard!

Didit

GaleRich

Awards
« Reply #22 on: 12/05/10 02:46 PM »

I pulled the dash apart and replaced the remaining 5 stepper motors.  I had only replaced two the last time.  I'm glad that's done and all the gages, speedo, and tach working again.
navigator909

Awards
« Reply #23 on: 04/16/13 10:30 PM »

Hello folks!

I'm new to the forum. I apologize if it is against forum etiquette to revive an old thread. But it looks like I have the exact same problem. All of a sudden my speedometer started reading very high- 100mph - when only going about 30mph. When I turn turn the key completely off the needle stays at about 70 mph. Does the same thing everytime since it started acting up.

Is the excellent procedure described in the link in this thread the procedure I need to follow to repair the speedometer on my 2005 Avalanche?  Thanks.
GoldBowTie
CAFCNA Regional Coordinator

Have you hugged your Avalanche today?

Awards
« Reply #24 on: 04/17/13 08:27 AM »

Welcome! navigator909
Bad forum etiquette would be starting a new topic for a problem when a topic already exists.
You did good by reviving an existing topic.  Thumbs up!

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your speedo question.
Speedometer issues are not uncommon with these trucks, so I'm sure an answer will come.
I'd bet that what was mentioned here will work for you too.
« Last Edit: 04/17/13 08:28 AM by GoldBowTie » Logged

2002 Onyx Black Z71  156 MONTHS (Oct 01 - today) of ownership and 65828 miles
144 GTG's attended in: OH, WV, TN, NY, MI, Canada, IN, NH, KY, GA, PA, NC, IA, and MO.

2009 Black LTZ  18 months (Mar 13 - today) of ownership  and 131611 miles (124594 when bought)
8 GTG's attended in: WV, OH, PA and IN

2003 Yellow Z71 WBH  18 MONTHS (Sep 11 - Mar 13) of ownership (101764 at delivery, 111066 at trade-in) Traded for 2009
20 GTG's attended in: OH, MI, PA, WV and IN
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: