Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
04/23/14 05:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you mix E85 and gas  (Read 29811 times)
exhummer guy

Awards
« on: 03/18/08 02:04 AM »

dealer was nice enough to fill my 07 up with fuel when I picked it up now down to half tank can I fill up with E85?? anything i should worry about ? My first flex fuel vehicle

exhummer guy
WILDFIRE
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 03/18/08 02:15 AM »

you should be ok, the computer will sense the percentage

sittin by the phone, waitin for the lord to send my calling
Question~ What are you doing in my house? Answer~ Bleeding out
farmguy
CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member

Don't Mess with Texas

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 03/18/08 04:41 AM »

You can. The engine management computer will adjust to any blend up to 85%. However, you might want to run a few tanks of regular gas through it first to establish a baseline on your average fuel economy.

When you switch to E85, be prepared for a BIG drop in fuel economy. Many see a drop of 30% to 35% from gas to E85.

Ya gotta pay to be green.

'06 LT. Texas Bowtie, Jayhawk Hitch cover,  Amber DRLs, Magellan GPS, backup cam, Line of Fire, Chrome letter overlays, Cherry Bomb Glasspack, Bowtie Exhaust tip,Vent Visors, Bug Shield, Billet Grille, Halo Headlights, dark tinted windows, Sail panel LED's, Backup Sensors. Chrome 20's.
exhummer guy

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 03/18/08 05:38 AM »

will do and thanks for the info, and with E85 running about .85 lower than gas I think it will be a win win for me

exhummer guy
SabreXray

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 03/18/08 06:31 AM »

yes  Thumbs up!

2005 Sport Red Metallic Avalanche Z71
grillo88

Go Broncos!!!!

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 03/18/08 07:24 AM »

Ive been running 70% e85 and 30% regular gas because of the cold weather out here in Colorado. It seems to be working out fine. I go 100% e85 in the summer though.

2005 Ming Blue Z71,Magnaflow Exhaust,Air Raid CAI, Ambers, and a few smaller mods.
boilers94

Chevy Avalanche RULES!!!!!!

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 03/18/08 06:38 PM »

Any mix ratio between gas/E85 is fine!!  The Av's computer will do the rest!!  Thumbs up!

Fram BOOST CAI System
Sylvania Silverstars (All Headlamps and Foglamps)
Ambers DRL's (Sylvania SilverStars 4157's)
Parking Lamps Mod (Sylvania SilverStar 4157's)
Full Time DRL's Mod
ALL ON HIGH Mod
MagLite Mod
Auto Trim Designs Tailgate Lettering
AVS Hoodflector (Low-Profile)
20" Gear Alloy 713 mb Double Pump Rims
Cooper Discoverer HT Plus 305/50/20 Tires
Aussie Red
CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member

The Black Pearl

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: 03/20/08 12:37 AM »

yes you can and it runs fine. Hard to always find E85 .
mnr602

2008 LTZ

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 04/02/08 06:45 AM »

yes you can and it runs fine. Hard to always find E85 .

Or in my case...impossible.  There are only 5 stations listed in Georgia and none within 150 miles of me.  So fossil fuel it is...
ss1

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 04/02/08 07:28 AM »

I think GM recommends burning at least 7 gallons of the existing fuel in the tank prior to switching to the other.  That shouldn't be a big deal in the AV - just accelerate hard from a stoplight and watch the needle drop!  Cheesy

----->  SS1
'08 Avalanche LS 4x4
'08 CRV EX 4wd
Harley Street Bob
........ and other assorted toys.....
pj41

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 04/02/08 08:17 PM »

My dealer said to make sure it was below 1/4 tank before switching to gas or e85.

Roll Eyes

Maybe he was wrong?

07 LTZ Av-5.3L Sunburst Orange, Nav/DVD/Rearview Cam, Sunroof, Line of Fire, Ambers, CargoPro
Rocky07

Best, Most AVersatile AVehicle on the Planet

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 04/02/08 09:13 PM »

I think I remember a "break-in" period recommendation using fossil gas, but there is no reason that you can't use 100% E-85 or any percentage below.  The computer will adjust to any percentage.  I use both fossil and E-85 and re-fill at all ranges of the gas guage.

'07 LTZ Avalanche-"Rocky II"
'02 Z71 Avalanche-"Rocky I"
'64 1/2 Mustang Rag-top
'66 Mustang Coupe
'68 Mustang Coupe (under restoration)
'80 John Deere 2040
ltxi
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

...tree art...

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 04/03/08 03:29 PM »

My dealer said to make sure it was below 1/4 tank before switching to gas or e85.

Roll Eyes

Maybe he was wrong?

He was wrong, although I tend to do that anyway.

2008 Z71 Avalanche LT3 4x4 4:10 Ebony/Black - Nelson tuned
Rocky07

Best, Most AVersatile AVehicle on the Planet

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 04/11/08 07:31 PM »

He was wrong, although I tend to do that anyway.

Yep. dealer was wrong (not unusual).  Mix it how ever you want.

'07 LTZ Avalanche-"Rocky II"
'02 Z71 Avalanche-"Rocky I"
'64 1/2 Mustang Rag-top
'66 Mustang Coupe
'68 Mustang Coupe (under restoration)
'80 John Deere 2040
ss1

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 04/30/08 11:01 AM »

Yep. dealer was wrong (not unusual).  Mix it how ever you want.

Interestingly, the dealer may have a point here - my prior post had GMs recommendation (use at least 7 gallons), but I have been alternating between E85 and Unleaded lately, and I have found that if I dont burn the E85 tank down to almost nothing, the mileage remains at an E85 level (when I full up with unleaded and some E85 is remaining in the tank).  I have a feeling that the computer errs on the conservative side when a mixed fuel is in the tank, and injects more into the cylinders as it would with full E85.

I would be interested in others experiences with this - now that I am back to full unleaded, I am averaging 17-18mpg.  I will continue to use E85 when it is available at the right price, however!

----->  SS1
'08 Avalanche LS 4x4
'08 CRV EX 4wd
Harley Street Bob
........ and other assorted toys.....
ltxi
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

...tree art...

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 05/01/08 05:47 PM »

I'd been sorta thinking the same thing. It takes a tank or two for my fuel mileage to stabilize when switching and the "in between" mileage is lower. I don't randomly mix and match fuel types and never refuel above 1/4 tank, fwiw.
« Last Edit: 05/01/08 05:49 PM by ltxi » Logged

2008 Z71 Avalanche LT3 4x4 4:10 Ebony/Black - Nelson tuned
cassel92

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 05/04/08 03:18 PM »

In 2 years, I've yet to see E85 for sale anywhere.  I don't know
MooseAlanche
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

The Moose Is On The Loose

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 05/04/08 05:23 PM »

My company vehicle is an 07 Impala Flex Fuel. We have E-85 at work and I try to use it as much as possible, but sometimes I have to use regular unleaded and mix it with the E-85 in the tank. I have not experienced the condition that ss1 mentioned in a previous post. If I use only E-85 I get about 20 miles to a gallon city & Highway mixed driving. If I use only regular unleaded I get about 25 miles to a gallon. When I mix the two fuels I get anywhere in between the 20 & 25 MPGs depending on how much of each fuel I have in the tank. The more E-85 the MPG's stay in the 20 to 23 MPG range. The more regular unleaded the Mpg's stay in the 23 to 25 range.
Maybe the Impala has a better ethanol sensor than the AV  Huh

Pete
05 Black Avalanche 5.3L, Z71, Cladded, Chrome Brush Bar, Speed Grille, SS Nerf Bars, Fire & Ice Tailgate LED, Lund Bug Shield, Putco Tailgate Handle Cover, K&N #77 Cold Air Intake, PowerAid TBS, MagnaFlow SS CatBack. Since Joining CAFC: Amber FTDRL, LED Sail Panel Lights, Amber LED Grille Lights, Door Pocket LED's, Mag Lite, 3rd Brake & Tailgate Decals, Cargo Light, Billet Gas Door, Tailgate Cup Holders, Backup Cam, I Pod2car, WoLo Horn, PlasmaGlow Xeon Bulbs, Window Tint, Tailgate E-Z Up, HyperTech
SabreXray

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 05/05/08 07:31 AM »

Are using the onboard computer to calc mileage or the pencil at the pump method (which if you keep good notes is 100% accurate, the computer is not).

E85 is "mixed" to begin with (its 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline).  Your vehicle can run on any "mix" of gasoline and ethanol up to 85% (ethanol).  "Regular" winter blend gasoline is E10 (10% ethanol) and is safe for all cars (hard to believe I know).

Ethanol is not the devil. 

Flint4x4
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 05/05/08 08:06 AM »

When ethanol first came out it was E10 or E15 and many people wouldn't use it, it was usually labeled economy. Most stations still sold regular/midgrade/premium with no ethanol, unless premium is required older vehicles can burn E10 no problem.

My DIC is accurate highway, I can't use E85 in my '04. The computer will adjust to burn anything from E10 to E85, only way to compare accurately is by pencil over the same route, same driving habits, same driving conditions. No surprise there.

The V8 engne was first with flex fuel and then they added the variable displacement option. I'd expect as they add the flex fuel technology across the engine line the computers will tune them to operate at increased effiency. Right now they are still adding it

"Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education."  - Bertrand Russell
Aussie Red
CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member

The Black Pearl

WWW Awards
« Reply #20 on: 05/05/08 09:01 AM »

I guess I am going to have to test how the mileage is on my trip to Wild west. I have never noticed any difference really but then I rarely use the AV. I don't drive much because I no longer go out and punch a time card  Big laughter with tears
jeffbco

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 05/05/08 10:12 AM »

When ethanol first came out it was E10 or E15 and many people wouldn't use it, it was usually labeled economy. Most stations still sold regular/midgrade/premium with no ethanol, unless premium is required older vehicles can burn E10 no problem.

My DIC is accurate highway, I can't use E85 in my '04. The computer will adjust to burn anything from E10 to E85, only way to compare accurately is by pencil over the same route, same driving habits, same driving conditions. No surprise there.

The V8 engne was first with flex fuel and then they added the variable displacement option. I'd expect as they add the flex fuel technology across the engine line the computers will tune them to operate at increased effiency. Right now they are still adding it
I think I remember that ethanol was used to replace the highly toxic MTBE.  When I first moved to Denver the gas was oxygenated with ethanol between November and February but now it's all year.  The Shell products here say "up to 10% ethanol may be used..." on all 3 grades.  I run the low grade in the Av and the premium grade in another car - no problems.
Flint4x4

Awards
« Reply #22 on: 05/05/08 02:05 PM »

I think I remember that ethanol was used to replace the highly toxic MTBE.

Yes, but originally it was used for economy grade gasoline. MTBE was used to replace lead, we had leaded/no lead for years. I'm unsure exact formulae used but they found a way to use ethanol/E-10 and ditch both MTBE and lead.

"Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education."  - Bertrand Russell
SabreXray

Awards
« Reply #23 on: 05/08/08 02:17 AM »

Yes, but originally it was used for economy grade gasoline. MTBE was used to replace lead, we had leaded/no lead for years. I'm unsure exact formulae used but they found a way to use ethanol/E-10 and ditch both MTBE and lead.
Lead?

I remember 1989/90 having a 65 Chevy P/U that ran "regular" (lead) gas still (I was too cheap to pay for the engine upgrade to run unleaded).  I was in Colorado and lead gas was everywhere.  I took a trip to the east coast and quickly discovered that no one sold lead anywhere east of the Mississippi. (And that was almost 20 years ago).

JP

Flint4x4

Awards
« Reply #24 on: 05/08/08 04:21 AM »

SabreXray,

I remember some people using a fuel additive or at least premium no-lead to prevent knocking. Regular (leaded) was cheaper but would trash your catalytic converter, many people gouged thier fuel fill neck so the (regular) nozzle would fit. I had cars that burned regular (leaded) and I'd put whatever gasoline was cheapest in them, I didn't care if it was no-lead or contained ethanol. I think many of the early economy flavors were 15% alcohol around here.

I'm curious what mileage I'd get with E85 on my non flex-fuel '04 ? I'm not going to test it because I know my fuel system isn't capable of handling the corrosive quality of that much alcohol. I'm sure it would burn without much problem, likely get really lousy mpg too.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: