• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

07 Without Factory XM?

Fred07AV

Hello,

I am a new (2 months) owner of an 07 Avalanche LS.  I have an 07 that did not get the factory XM.  My question is: I would like to install my Sirius Starmate 4, I am told that the same Onstar/XM antenna is used even if XM was not installed?  If so where will I find the connection end (looked behind the glove box, no luck)?  Also I was going to use an FM modulator for radio connection, but if there is an input on the radio back that would be better, anyone know?

Thanks,
Fred

On the base of the ONstar/XM antenna you'll find two connections, you sould be able to pop the A-pillar molding and headliner loose without removing them. Not sure what type cable you need to run, maybe an XM cable with an adapter for Serius or other way around.

So you do not believe that the XM connection lies somewhere behind the dash, but closer to the antenna base? Thanks, did not want to start pulling molding loose if unnecessary.

Fred

I pulled the molding off the passenger side "A" pillar last night, there are two black cables (taped together) that run down and head across the top of the dash near the base of the windshield.  I would guess that one is for Onstar the other sure looks to be the size and type that is used on satellite antennas.  They look to be heading toward the stereo unit, why, I would think it should be routed to the XM box location (even if unused)?  Think I'll find the end of the satellite antenna behind the stereo, unterminated.

Thanks all,
Fred

Tracked those two cables to a box mounted under the stereo.  Metal box has a tag on it, Continental Assy P/N 25791864, TX Power Output = 3W.  The two cables plug in the back of the box, the smaller cable has a blue plug and the larger cable has a purple plug.  What are these, and is one of them a satellite antenna that I could use for Sirius?

Thanks,
Fred

I don't know, maybe they run both cables because it's cheaper since most get the XM/Onstar and both Onstar/XM subsidize the cost of installing thier reciever/antenna. It makes sense from an assembly standpoint, it's just as easy to run both at once and GM isn't paying the entire cost for the materials.

Mine has the older system with separate Onstar and XM antennae or I'd go look.

Back