Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
04/24/14 12:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Front mud flaps for retractable steps  (Read 14266 times)
Av6.0

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« on: 04/19/08 12:13 PM »

Has anyone seen any front mud flaps that will work with retractable steps?

My paint behind the front wheels is taking a beating.

2007 LTZ - Silver Birch
umgriz

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 04/23/08 02:46 PM »

I haven't tried it yet, but found this posted at a Tahoe forum:

I have the electric running boards on our Tahoe and could not find anyone who sold a set to fit this model so i bought the stock GM one's for 50 bucks and slid the frt one up until the running brd just slide past the hump in the flap. they seem to work good at keeping the rock chips down.
------------------------------
Yes they are the GM flat type. I wish GM would have contured the frt of the electric running boards so i could have used the molded ones. I even thought about cutting off the frt end and reshaping them but decided against doing that because of the way they are made. I will take some photos and post them today.

I believe he may be talking about these (but not sure):

12497447 w/o bowtie
12497448 w/ bowtie

2007 Chevy Avalanche LTZ 4x4 5.3L/4.10 Summit White + chrome package, loaded except rear entertainment
Freebie
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

Freebeer?

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: 04/23/08 02:52 PM »

I don't think that GM makes a mudflap that works yet.  If you check out =2008&tx_gmshopb2b_pi1[division_name]=Chevrolet&tx_gmshopb2b_pi1[vehicle_name]=Avalanche]this page here, it shows that both the molded and contoured splash guards are not compatible with the articulating running boards.  I know that this was asked a while ago and that another company was in the process of making one, but I don't know if it ever happened. HTH

Sold: 02 Z71, FM40s, FTDRLs, All6onHi, All4onBrake, Sail Panel Leds,
Maglite mod, bumper cupholders, billet grille, blue interior glow, ambers! 
tobysAVI

From Montana to 08 Avalanche LTZ, One Happy Dad!!!

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 04/24/08 11:34 AM »

I'm also very interested in this as I also have the articulating running boards and haven't had any luck for far. I could have one of the guys at the local fab shop do something up for me. One of the guys I was talking to suggested just using a powered painted piece of aluminum. I'm going to check out all my options first though. My girl's only 2 months old and we're getting into spring here. Guess how much gravel's on the road right now.
Looking forward to any suggestions or ideas.

Happy boy!!
Intimidatoruag

Tatertown Posse Member #5

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 04/24/08 11:51 AM »

check them out here ...  these are the molded ones ...

go here www.gmaccessorieszone.com ... click on "avalanche" in the drop down box and in the middle column you will see molded mud flaps ...
« Last Edit: 04/24/08 11:56 AM by Intimidatoruag » Logged
chevydan

Hood Sunrise

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 04/24/08 12:46 PM »

check them out here ...  these are the molded ones ...

go here www.gmaccessorieszone.com ... click on "avalanche" in the drop down box and in the middle column you will see molded mud flaps ...

They both say "not for use with articulating steps". 

I believe he was looking for something made for use with articulating steps.  I know I am looking for ones specified for use with articulating steps.

2011 Escalade ESV Premium, Black Raven

Traded AVs: 2003 Onyx Z71, 2004 Onyx Z71, 2008 Onyx
spaceguy

free on the farm

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 04/25/08 11:36 AM »

I have the power running boards on mine.

I ordered a set of mudflaps yesterday but they have to be made so it may be a week or two before I get them.

I read on an EXT forum that the running boards have four allen bolts underneath them holding them to the arms, and the bolts can be loosed and the board slide to the back an inch or so, and that provides clearance for  mudflaps at the front wheel wells.  I haven't checked this on mine yet.

07 EXT
tobysAVI

From Montana to 08 Avalanche LTZ, One Happy Dad!!!

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 04/25/08 12:30 PM »

Interesting, where did you order your flaps from? I will check my runningboards when I get home.

Happy boy!!
chevydan

Hood Sunrise

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 04/25/08 01:44 PM »

I have the power running boards on mine.

I ordered a set of mudflaps yesterday but they have to be made so it may be a week or two before I get them.

I read on an EXT forum that the running boards have four allen bolts underneath them holding them to the arms, and the bolts can be loosed and the board slide to the back an inch or so, and that provides clearance for  mudflaps at the front wheel wells.  I haven't checked this on mine yet.

Did you order EXT Special Flaps or are they universal for us lowly AVs?  Hmmm can be slipped back a bit, will look this weekend.  Thanks Andy!

Av6.0

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 04/28/08 07:35 PM »

I went by the dealership parts department and asked if I could look at a set of OEM front molded splash guards.

It looks like you would have to slide the running boards back a couple of inches to get the necessary clearance.

2007 LTZ - Silver Birch
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 05/03/08 09:10 AM »

So has anyone come up with anything on this yet, or am I on my own.  Huh
coolkc

08 Big Blue Granite!

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 05/04/08 07:50 AM »

Not really a answer but I chose to install 3m Clear material down both sides of mine and behind the rear wheel!!! No more chips!!! Have never liked the mud flap look so thats why i did mine with 3m clear paint protection!!.

9/27/07  08 Blue Granite LTZ/ 6.0 liter with GTO emblem/4.10 Gears/Super Duty Trans with Extra Cooling/Amber's/GMPP Cold Air Kit/GM Chrome Tow Hooks/GM Chrome Exhaust Tip/GM Chrome Fuel Door/Weathertech Floorliners F+R/Color Matched Weathertech In-Channel Visors/Z71 Skid Plate Package/LTZ Chrome Console Emblem/Denali Body Side Mouldings/DiabloSportTuner with Custom SLP Tuning/Police Pursuit Wiper Arms+Blades.
Av6.0

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 05/04/08 04:33 PM »

I am now planning to use the clear film as well.

Did you install yourself?

2007 LTZ - Silver Birch
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 05/04/08 05:30 PM »

I'm putting a set on my 03, I have cladding but want the flaps also. I'll think of something Thanks
coolkc

08 Big Blue Granite!

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 05/05/08 06:58 AM »

Had a guy do a custom install for 250!!!

9/27/07  08 Blue Granite LTZ/ 6.0 liter with GTO emblem/4.10 Gears/Super Duty Trans with Extra Cooling/Amber's/GMPP Cold Air Kit/GM Chrome Tow Hooks/GM Chrome Exhaust Tip/GM Chrome Fuel Door/Weathertech Floorliners F+R/Color Matched Weathertech In-Channel Visors/Z71 Skid Plate Package/LTZ Chrome Console Emblem/Denali Body Side Mouldings/DiabloSportTuner with Custom SLP Tuning/Police Pursuit Wiper Arms+Blades.
chevydan

Hood Sunrise

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 05/05/08 01:28 PM »

Had a guy do a custom install for 250!!!

Did that include fixing any chips already there?   Huh  Otherwise was he the only guy in town? 

Seems really high to basically apply 3M clear decals, unless I am to slow on the uptake about the installation process.

coolkc

08 Big Blue Granite!

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 05/06/08 04:15 PM »

I fixed the chips then had him do custom install!!! he took four hours and it looks perfect!! the guy was a perfectionist and the cost wasnt a issue after seeing him do it!!!  Thumbs up!

chevydan

Hood Sunrise

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 05/07/08 02:32 PM »

I fixed the chips then had him do custom install!!! he took four hours and it looks perfect!! the guy was a perfectionist and the cost wasnt a issue after seeing him do it!!!  Thumbs up!

Thanks!  I am good with that explanation!  Do you have any pictures of the area after application?

flipmode73

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 04/18/09 03:52 PM »

I was on the Cadillac Owners Forums and saw this.  An Escalade EXT owner did molded flaps on his.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/133002-mud-flaps-articulating-running-boards.html

It looks good.  Now seeing this, I am debating to do the 3M protection or do color matched flaps....

2011 White Diamond Avalanche LTZ
5.3L, NAV, Sunroof, Retractable Boards, Body Colored Painted Sails and Mudflaps, K&N Cold Air Intake.
Coming Soon: Escalade EXT Roof Rack, GM Bed Rug, 22-24" Rims (still undecided...)

2008 Sunburnt Orange Avalanche LTZ
5.3L, NAV, DVD, Sunroof, Retractable Boards
GM Cat Back "Sport" Exhaust, GM Cold Air Intake, K&N Filter
Old Army

2007 Red LTZ

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 05/17/09 06:06 PM »

I have been looking for simple way to allow the installation of front spash guard retractable steps. I came upon a quick and easy fix - this worked for me. There are two 5mm allen head screws on each step hinge. They are at the end of the hinge and screw into the step. 1. loosen each one about 4 or 5 turns with the steps  in the up position - do not remove them. 2. This will allow the steps in the open position to moved rearward, enough to install front guards. After the guard is in place, cycle the steps and check the clearance. Set them as close to flaps as possible without contact. The rear tires will not come into contact with the steps. I have 20". I used GM # 12407448 on the front and rear. I used the two 7 mm head screws inside each wheel well to mount the guards.  I used the hardware supplied to secure the guards in two places on the inside edge and this also pulls the guards back for more clearance. The fronts could be longer, I did all of this without removing the wheels and the vehicle sitting on the ground. I hope this helps.

Always improving the foxhole
cwoswo

Awards
« Reply #20 on: 02/02/10 06:49 AM »

Thanks to Old Army for his suggestion.  I installed my front mudflaps this past weekend (01-30-10).  GM Part #12497447, my dealer stated that these were also being discontinued.  Works on 2009 LTZ, works just like he said!!  Ken Wilson Retired Navy

2009 4WD LTZ Deep Ruby Metallic all options except IBC, Amber DRL's, SS, Weather Tech bug deflector with front & rear mats, Bowtie mudflaps
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 02/02/10 11:27 AM »

Anyone have a Picture. I want to see what they look like.
coldwater-echelon

Awards
« Reply #22 on: 02/03/10 07:39 PM »

I have a '07 with the retractable running boards, I slid them back as mentioned in an above post.  I'll admit too that the factory GM mud flaps I installed could be a little bit longer but it is better than nothing.  I am a relatively new member and can't post pics yet but if someone would PM me with their email address i would gladly email them a few pictures if their interested.
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #23 on: 02/03/10 08:07 PM »

Thanks I'll do that.
Marc008

09 Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #24 on: 03/15/10 11:44 AM »

Thanks for the info ill do the same for sure just I would like to confirm the part# that you guys used for the front moulded mudflaps.

And if anyone has pics on a Avalanche I saw some on a EXT just not on a Avalanche.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: