• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

N.E. Chapter Members Chat And GTG Ideas

Capecruis8der

SM 2003
One thing that always happens to me, is I think of something but forget to write it down------

So if you come up with any Meet/Cruise idea's, post them here so we can review them for the next GTG

One that came to mind, is the Battleship Massachusetts
in Fall River Ma--plenty of parking-- and you get to walk on 2 ships and a sub

In the Summer -- a overnite at a campground is fun
We did one last year with the AZtek-- at a Blues festival
Had fireworks-- Vollyball--- Food and a keg of beer

Lets keep the ideas flowing, no matter how trivial

I went down and toured the battleship and sub about 10 years ago. A fascinating trip. I would definitely do it again. (y)

Rich,
I wouldn't mind trying to set up something here in western MA. :D There are a couple of big parks (Forest and Look) that we could spend the day, have a cook out, :cool: do some simple mods. These parks have ballfields and paddel boats, horseshoes ect. We could take a cruise down to the basketball hall of fame, ;D (can look into discounted tickets) This would be ideal for late spring, summer or early fall.

Just a suggestion.

I wouldn't mind the ships either.

RON

Camping would be a lot of fun. I'd bring the AV and my wife would bring the RV.

Someone also suggested FoxWoods and/or Mohegan Sun for the last GTG, but it was too cold. With the weather (hopefully) making a change to the positive, perhaps we should look into it this time and save the camping for sometime this summer?

I like all of these ideas. Here is a suggestion for the late spring or summer. How about combining 2 ideas, camping in western mass. We could do some stuff that Ron suggested then camp for the evening. I'm not too familiar with the area but I know there are some moutains out there there must be some nice camping areas?

I like the ship idea too. Is that something we could do in like March or is that a summer thing?

I know I'm only thinking of myself but I really want to have another cruise now since I missed the last one :8:

-Mark

I mentioned this at the meet we had, so heres the "hard copy". ;) I would like to see an off-roading GTG, nothing too extreme, just some nice trails that most anyone could drive through.
Frank

These are all good ideas.

Battleships in Fall River, Ma.

Camping and fun in western Ma. this could be a weekend event. Maybe some off roading if we can find a place. Ron can you ask around ?

Foxwoods in Ct.

Now for my suggestion, how about a cruse around Newport, RI.
We could do the tour of the mansions, harbour and shopping.

ultravorx said:
I mentioned this at the meet we had, so heres the "hard copy". ;) ?I would like to see an off-roading GTG, nothing too extreme, just some nice trails that most anyone could drive through.
Frank

I'd like to try some offroading in the spring/summer. This is probably a silly question from someone whos lived in New England all his life but are there any sand dune like areas in N.E.?

I didn't realize Agawam was that close to springfield. There is a 6 flags there maybe we could throw that into the weekend too.

-Mark

I think that a camping trip would be great, I haven't been camping in a long time, and I was thinking about getting the tent for my truck this summer.
On another topic, I wanted to ask you guys which mod I should do out of two that I am thinking of doing. I want to do the LOF and the MDS wires, but I don't know which to do first. The LOF I really like, but I know that I would need some help, however the plugs would be rather easy. I am looking for your opinions, just to see, what you guys have done first, so that I can get a better idea on them and then figure it out.

Thanks, James R. :cool:

Good call on this thread Rich! I was about to post something similar!

If anyone is up for some possible VERY light offroading, there is October Mountian in Lee, MA. ?(Exit 2 off the Pike).

There could be some very primative caming done there. ?(probably better off in the bed of the Av, than the rocky ground!) ?ATV's, Dirtbikes (supposed to be MA registered), and Mountain Bikes are welcome...

I'll have to check on the details of running our trucks around out there.

In general, I participate in almost all motorized and human powered off-road activities so I'm really open to suggestions.

Tribal - you can do some light duning out on the Cape - up there at Race Point in P-town. ?I got my first over-sand pass last year, and had a blast. ?You have to be very respectfull of the terrain out there though. ?

It's a awesome airing down to single-digits and cralwing over two miles of dune to get to the ocean. ?From there, during different parts of the season, you can go another 4-6 miles down mostly uninhabited, beach. ?You're almost guaranteed to not see another soul out there. ;)

It's mostly just a blast getting out to Herring Cove. ?It's an awesome place to snorkel... you'll see all kinds of stuff out there.

[link=http://www.nps.gov/caco/activities/oversand/index.html]Link to Cape Cod National Seashore site.[/link]

[link=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291550593]Here's[/link] all kinds of pictures from the time I spent out there. The beach pics are Herring Cove.

[link=http://www.state.ma.us/dem/parks/octm.htm]Link to October Mountain.[/link]

Apparently it's a little more 'civilized' than I thought.. with some camping facilities.

The part I visited was in the middle of nowhwere. ?I pulled one of my bikes up there through the fire-roads w/the Av.

For the off-roaders, there is also [link=http://www.state.ma.us/dem/parks/pitt.htm]Pittsfield[/link] nearby.

There is [link=http://www.state.ma.us/dem/parks/purg.htm]Purgatory Chasm.[/link] 5 minutes from my house, for a place to GTG, pose, hike, climb rocks, get stuck in caves, sneak sideways through 10' high cracks in solid bedrock, etc. etc.

There's usually a bunch of free grilles around for everyone to use to cook dogs and burgers.

Playgrounds for the kids too.

Very easy to get to.

The only downside to Purgatory - ?It gets quite crowded on a nice weekend. ?Because it's a state owned place, I don't think the rangers there will just allow us to rope off an area.

There is a covered set of picnic tables that I see being used by school kids on trips and what not. ?I wouldn't be surprised if we could get that reserved, and see if we can sneak in something about parking. ?It might cost some $$. ? :cautious:

The parking isn't BAD as in it's always FULL - it's just that we might not be able to get a whole group of us together until other regular park-goers leave, and we hold their spots. ?

Another thing I should mention, the place can be very very very dangerous if you're not carefull. ?If you use common sense, you'll be just fine. ?(y)

[link=http://www.gweep.net/~lizzie/purgatory]Here is some pics/info I dug up. [/link]

[link=http://www.lisashea.com/lisastrips/purgchasm/]Another site.[/link]

I have a question for you guys. Last night I was diggin out my AV, and I noticed that on the passenger side bumper below the fog light fixture, there is a crack in the bumper and it appears to be pulling away from the fixture. :8: I know that it happened sometime between sunday afternoon and last night, and I think it was do to me bumping a snow bank. However it just doesn't seem like it would be so weak that a little thing like that would break it. ???
Anyway I am extremely pissed off :8:! I don't know how much it will cost to get fixed, I hope that I don't need to get a whole new bumper :cautious:. If anyone knows what the price is for this and whether it is covered under warranty, I would greatly appreciate it. I just know that if the whole bumper needs to be replaced that I will have to leave my AV at a dealer over night or possibly longer and that is something that is very hard for me to do. :mad: :(
Thanks guys. (y)

On another subject, I really like marc's idea for some offroading in the Lee, MA area, I go back there every couple of weeks and I will be in that area March 14-23 so if anyone is interested in a little weekend GTG out in the Berkshires I would definitely be down for that. Also that week I will be the only one at my house so I would have it as an open invitation for anyone that would want to get together, we could chill and hangout at my house. Again it is just an idea, but I have enough parking for possibly 12 AVs in my driveway. This would be a once in a long time chance that I could have a GTG at my house, I have the ability to accomadate two or three AVs in a garage if it is chilly out.
I would definitely like to host something out in my neck of the woods, because the berkshires are my home, I grew up there and I know the area pretty well. There are a lot of parks to do a little off-roading :cool:, but definitely areas for mountain biking and, dirtbikes or four wheelers. And my house is perfectly safe for any children, we have 10acres about 1/2 a mile off the road.

But this is just an idea, and I know march is just around the corner and it would only be 5 weeks after Rich's awesome GTG on the cape(I wish I had brought more film), however even if a couple want toget together for a day of fun, that would be really great because I am going to be out there all alone for a week with little to do.

-James R. :cool:

That's really cool to offer that, James!

You could put me down as 'interested' - that's for sure.

How much snow do you think will still be out there in the Berkshires around that time? ?Will that put a little damper on any off-road activities? ?(I don't own a sled!! ;) )

It'll still be March.. unless we get a heat wave or rain, there will probably still be a decent amount, right?

Just for the record - with all of the information I was throwing out there, I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to push anything - just trying to get as much info as I can! ?:)

The battleship-cove idea is really good too... I haven't been out there in at least 10 years.

I am up for some off roading. It would be cool if I could bring my quad as well, it would be a blast. But so far I like the offroading ideas because I am just about to buy new tires. BTW, what do you guys think nitto tera grapplers or BFG AT'S? I am torn between these two tires. I want a good on road handling tire but I want a tire that is aggressive enough to have great offroad performance.

Alex

Hey guys,

I was playing around with photoshop and I came up with this. ?I broke a few copyright laws buy what the hell right ?:rolleyes:

What do you guys think? ?Feel free to modify it if you want (since I don't own any of the pics anyway... lol)

Well I don't know how to get the image in the message body...see the attachment.

ne_chapt.jpg

Ha...take that you stupid HTML ?;D

Thanks Phantom!

-Mark

Attachments

• ne_chapt.jpg
    ne_chapt.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 2
Great ideas people, keep them coming

Over the sand and thru the woods a camping we will go, a keg of beer, a good nights sleep, to Foxwoods our money to blow

NH --nice work-- that would make a nice dash plaque

Great designing Mark. You really have talent with this stuff, I think its really cool. (y)

-James R. :cool:

Is that our theme song, Rich?? ;D

Mark - Looks good!!

Alex - Not too familiar with those tires... Personally I'll be looking for the BFG AT's when my time comes for tire choices, but I'll look into the others too.

Back