• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Outter Banks North Carolina GTG April 12-13

zukracer

PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
Come enjoy the Outter Banks April 12-13th. There are a number of areas to get out and drive on the beach, several light houses, the Wright Brothers museum, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills and numerous other things to do there.

The tentative schedule at this point is to meet in the Kill Devil Hills / Nagshead area and cruise up to Corova Beach saturday morning for some off road/beach driving. Then once we have had our fill of playing on the beach (or the tide comes back in) we can head south and check out the sights. Then find a good place to have dinner and/or some evening activities. Sunday could include another trip off roading or cruise south again to Oregon Inlet, Hatteras Island, Ocracoke Island/Lighthouse. Of course there are many other things to do, so this is just a tentative suggestion for a schedule.

At the northern end of the outter banks, we have the 4x4 driving section. This is one of a few areas that you can drive your vehicle onto the beach with no permits or fees. Its about 15 or so miles of fairly wide open beach and for those with 4x4 (or pretty brave 4x2 owners) there are many back roads to adventure down. Here is a link to a map of the area. This page also includes links to other aerial views of the 4x4 section.

Just south of the 4x4 area is the Whalehead club in Corolla, NC. Built in the mid-1920's, Corolla Island, as it was originally named, continues to stand as one of the most spectacular landmarks on the Currituck Outer Banks. Owners, Edward Collings and Marie Louise Knight traveled to Corolla from points north and used Corolla Island as their winter residence from 1925-34. Boasting art nouveau architectural styling and accented with Tiffany lamps, cork-tiled floors, brass duck head and water lily hardware, this magnificent structure stood isolated for years on these remote barrier islands.

home_photo.jpg

Right beside the Whalehead club is the Currituck Beach Lighthouse
photo9b.jpg

Here is another shot, not as good quality, but it shows the lighthouse and Whalehead club.
whead-01.jpg

Then there is the Wright Brothers museum. This is the 100th anniversary of flight and there will be a large celebration on Dec. 17th this year. I visited the museum earlier this year for the first time. I have to say that its worth the time to stop in and see this place. The view from the top of the dune is SPECTACULAR!
wrbr%2Ejpg

Here is the link to the National Parks site for the Wright Brothers park.​

Even though this is the weekend before the Hatteras Lighthouse re-opens, its worth the 40-50min drive from Nagshead down to see. The drive down is very easy and very beautiful. There are several spots to drop onto the beach for additional beach driving if we wanted to.

caha1%2Egif

Here is the link to the National Park Service site for the Hatteras Lighthouse.​

Of course there are many other things to see/do while on the Outter Banks. I just hit some of the more popular spots with this post. ;)

If you are interested in coming down, please post in this thread. I am planning to drive in friday evening and staying in the Kill Devil Hills area. I have stayed at the Holiday Inn there before and its fairly affordable for being an ocean front hotel. I can call down and see about a group rate if we can get a firm head count for the number of folks/rooms we will have attending.

Hope to see a bunch of you all down there! (y) ;D (y)

Some other links:
NC Outterbanks.com
Outter Banks.com
celebrate100.org

2002TAM1057.jpg

We can't forget another Kill Devil Hills, NC native.

I may potentially interested in this cruise...

David

oh yeah....a visit to the "grave digger" might be pretty cool too (y) >:D

This is going to be lots of fun and just imagine the photo ops ;D. I have some video of my last trip down there....if I can find a place to host the files, I'll post a link in the next day or so.

Hope you can make it down (y)

There is also Oregon Inlet which is a good surf fishing spot. The marina is also there for a look at the charter boats coming in with there catches. Right next to the entrance to the sand and the marina is a state camp ground.

There are several fishing piers available for those pier fishing people.

All and all I would say if you like the ocean and sand to play in the Outer Banks is the ticket.

This sounds like a great time. I've been there once a few years ago - one really good place for eats is Awful Arthurs Oyster Bar. The name doesn't sound all that good, but the food is!

I'm gonna have to see about getting off of work, maybe hitch a ride down with David - that is if you don't mind transplanted rebels attending ;)

Hey Blue Thunder , We'd love to have everyone down! (y) Even the "transplanted rebels" ;)

I definately plan on driving down to Oregon Inlet and trying to get out on the sand at the northern side. There is the campground on the southern side, so no beach driving. Hopefully that weekend will be nice and sunny :).

The drive down for all the folks in Va Beach should be pretty easy ( US-158 ) and for everyone else, just come on down I95, turn onto 64E and stop when you hit the water...OK... maybe a few feet short of the water ;)

Hope to see some of you guys/gals down there!

Hey 02-Z66,

The areas we will be driving in should be fine for a Z66.....well at least the driving on the northern end near Corova. I have seen sedans and mini vans out there before :eek:

Hope to see you guys down there!

I'm in for the 12th. I can't get there till 2pm and have to leave that night but at least I can meet up for dinner.

I found a list of tide predictions. Looks like the best time for driving on the beach will be in the morning to mid afternoon Sat and Sunday. That works out pretty good, cause then we can head to other attractions in the afternoon/evening hours.

Now the 4x4's will still be able to get out and drive in the northern end after low tide and there is another low tide after dinner if anyone wants to enjoy some star gazing or whatever on the beach after dark.

2003-04-11 19:33 EDT Sunset
2003-04-11 21:47 EDT 0.53 feet Low Tide
2003-04-12 04:09 EDT 3.61 feet High Tide
2003-04-12 06:34 EDT Sunrise
2003-04-12 10:38 EDT 0.51 feet Low Tide
2003-04-12 16:39 EDT 3.40 feet High Tide
2003-04-12 19:34 EDT Sunset
2003-04-12 22:53 EDT 0.28 feet Low Tide
2003-04-13 05:08 EDT 3.78 feet High Tide
2003-04-13 06:33 EDT Sunrise
2003-04-13 11:30 EDT 0.23 feet Low Tide
2003-04-13 17:35 EDT 3.76 feet High Tide
2003-04-13 19:35 EDT Sunset
2003-04-13 23:52 EDT -0.03 feet Low Tide

I've been on those beachs for the past 40 years and there has always been plenty of sand to run on, maybe a little soft for some, but plenty of sand.

Mellow Yellow said:
I'm interested in coming down. Anyone from Jersey going, maybe we could hook up at the ferry?
Hey Sjtommy99
I believe mmdavidw is coming down. Maybe you guys can hook up and cruise in. I think 02-Z66 is also going to try and make it down.

Let me know if you are going to come down, its going to be a lot of fun (y)

This thread hasn't been touched in a few days, just wanted to check up and make sure there was still interest in this as the date is rapidly approaching.

David

You betcha! Check region 2 under same heading for more details.

Back