• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Custom Switch panel?

RonJ

SM 2008
Iv seen a few custom switch panels for Switchs and buttons for horns and strobes. I have yet to find the right material to make this switch panel. I am gonna do a cover that will fill one of my cubby holes in the center consel and put 4 or 5 switchs and buttons in the switch cover.
Question is...what do I use!? I dont wanna use something and paint it. As paint in time will scratch or flake off.
I was thinking of using smoked plexiglass but cant seem to find it locally. Iv found Clear plexiglass but i dont wanna paint it.
What materials have you guys used? any ideas?  ??? :help:
Id like to finish this cover befor next weekend so i dont have a bunch of wires hanging out at the GTG next weekend! lol I got 2 buttons and 1 switch ran already.

Thanks and sorry I have asked this befor just never gotten a responce as to what you guys used and im cluesless :(

RonJ said:
Iv seen a few custom switch panels for Switchs and buttons for horns and strobes. I have yet to find the right material to make this switch panel. I am gonna do a cover that will fill one of my cubby holes in the center consel and put 4 or 5 switchs and buttons in the switch cover.
Question is...what do I use!? I dont wanna use something and paint it. As paint in time will scratch or flake off.
I was thinking of using smoked plexiglass but cant seem to find it locally. Iv found Clear plexiglass but i dont wanna paint it.
What materials have you guys used? any ideas?  ??? :help:
Id like to finish this cover befor next weekend so i dont have a bunch of wires hanging out at the GTG next weekend! lol I got 2 buttons and 1 switch ran already.

Thanks and sorry I have asked this befor just never gotten a responce as to what you guys used and im cluesless :(

Use clear plexiglass and paint the back side or apply a black vinyl on the back side so that you don't have to worry about scratching.  I am working on a custom switch panel using the cupholder in my '07 AV using clear plexi, vinyl decal applied on the back side with my screenname cut out.  Install blue led lights in the cupholder and my screenname will be back lit on the switch panel.......... :love:

I'd suggest "Marine Starboard" or Marine Lumber"  you can get it at any Boating supply place in either white or black.  It is "textured" just like the dash of the AV.

Here are some pics, how I used it.

Attachments

• phone download 080.jpg
    phone download 080.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,115
  • phone download 077.jpg
    phone download 077.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,095
  • phone download 078.jpg
    phone download 078.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 1,084
I used a thick grey plastic cover that goes over an electrical switch box to make mine.  Got it at Lowe's. Does not match the interior, but does the job for me.

Attachments

• me and av 019.jpg
    me and av 019.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,072
Awesome! Thanks for the quick responces! I'll have to go out tommarow and look for something. I like the Marine Starboard idea.
Tango, your last picture. Thats where im putting the switch panel. :) (y)

Thanks again guys. I had seen pictures of switch panels but never knew what you guys made them out of and I was kinda clueless :)

I could make you something if you want...I would need to know the size and what you want it to say. I just sent one to MoAve and she seems pretty happy with it. Here is a pic of mine...let me know,

Chadstr

Attachments

• newbklight4sml.jpg
    newbklight4sml.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,068
chadstr said:
I could make you something if you want...I would need to know the size and what you want it to say. I just sent one to MoAve and she seems pretty happy with it. Here is a pic of mine...let me know,

Chadstr

That is Very nice!

trAVelingman said:
Use clear plexiglass and paint the back side or apply a black vinyl on the back side so that you don't have to worry about scratching.  I am working on a custom switch panel using the cupholder in my '07 AV using clear plexi, vinyl decal applied on the back side with my screenname cut out.  Install blue led lights in the cupholder and my screenname will be back lit on the switch panel.......... :love:

Hmmmm....  >:D

chadstr said:

Chadstr

hey chadstr i was wondering what you would charge to make one of these for me
im really impressed

Chadstr sells them at this link, but I think he is taking a break now, go ahead and post there he may answer you

chadstr said:

Chadstr
Hey I am new to the site and I saw this switch panel. Are these still being made?

bluavpd said:
Hey I am new to the site and I saw this switch panel. Are these still being made?

I don;t believe Chad makes these anymore...  I'd try PM-ing or Emailing him...  I'm not sure how active he is here on the forums anymore..

I tried to find a way to pm him but couldn't. I think might be because I'm fairly new to the site.

Try a google search  FG motorsports that was shaggy site.

bluavpd said:
I tried to find a way to pm him but couldn't. I think might be because I'm fairly new to the site.

Click his name, that will take you to his Member Profile page...  Scroll down and you'll see a link to send him a personal message...

Ok , I figure this is a good place to ask this question...

I am planning on installing a couple of lights in front, and rear of the truck, and was wondering if anyone knew if I could us a stock 4wd transfer switch board?

I have a 2wd AV, so in the area where you would switch between 4hi, 4lo, etc. I have an empty cubby.
What I would like to do is purchase the stock switch board that would normally go there on a 4wd AV, but make the switches do what I need them to do (and find a way to change the labels).
I would just rather not have some random toggle switches located in different areas.

Does anyone know if that would be possible?

Thanks in advance!

I think you would need a lot of circuitry.  The switches aren't normal on/off switches, they just trigger the BCM to send the appropriate signals.  You could probably get the panel and put normal push button on/off switches inside that are actuated by the buttons.  The writing on the buttons is from the back side.  I don't know how you would change it and also keep them able to illuminate.

camaroz1985 said:
I think you would need a lot of circuitry.  The switches aren't normal on/off switches, they just trigger the BCM to send the appropriate signals.  You could probably get the panel and put normal push button on/off switches inside that are actuated by the buttons.  The writing on the buttons is from the back side.  I don't know how you would change it and also keep them able to illuminate.

I may just go do that with putting switches BEHIND the buttons.  As for illumination, I guess that won't be a big deal if they aren't.  Maybe I will just make sure there is a light to specify whether it is on or off.

thanks for the input!

Got the email... MS03 2500 can you email me some installed photos of the one I made for you?

Looks like I'll be making the over head switch panels shortly.  I'm still trying to find a local cladded AV to stop by. 

PM me your email address Shagy

What do you guys think of this? I got done installing it this afternoon. Still need to wire up the accessories.

AvalancheOHswitch_zpscdd598d4.jpg

Back