• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New NJ decal??

Should we keep the existing NJ decal or get a new one

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bonesaw

SM 2004
I know this has been brought up before, but I feel like it is time once again to bring up making an official NJ decal.

Now, there have been a few problems associated with the current "NJ chapter" decal:
1)  It was made as kinda a joke; and unless you live here or in the tri-state area, you don't really get the joke.
2)  Some NJ members find it to be quite offensive, and considering the message it conveys about NJ, I can see their point.
3)  No one really has a supply of them, nor a way to easily get them.

So, I would like to propose creating a new one.
I already took the liberty of designing one for consideration.
Some general guidelines I tried to follow:
1)  Keeping it simple.  I did this both to maximize the clarity and ease of seeing it (smaller images are harder to see) and to minimize the cost (less colors = less cost)
2)  Something easily recognizable.  I did this for both the people in NJ and the people outside of NJ.  I tried to do something that would be familiar to everyone.

So, what do all you New Jersey people think?

Just for reference:

The first pic is the current decal.

The second one is the one I drew up as a possible replacement.

Attachments

• NJ decal - old.jpg
    NJ decal - old.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 332
  • NJ-Decal-new-4c.jpg
    NJ-Decal-new-4c.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 302
bonesaw, I think that's a great start at a new decal (y)

Are you going to run into any copyright issues, or are you making it slightly different than the GSP symbol?

I grew up in NJ (20+ yrs) exit 147 and exit 82.  (most non-NJ types have no idea what this means  >:D  :kidding:)

Per the National Park Service website: "Is the Statue in New York or New Jersey?    The Statue of Liberty is on Liberty Island, federal property administered by the National Park Service, located within the territorial jurisdiction of the State of New York.  A pact between New York and New Jersey, ratified by Congress in 1834, declared this issue. "

IMO I'd rather see something like bonesaw created rather than the Statue of Liberty on a NJ decal.  I'm not dissing NY.  Using the Statue on a NJ decal would be a unity thing, but isn't the idea to create a nice looking NJ chapter decal itself? 

Just my $.02 worth....

We have a Decal! :eek:

the only ones I've seen were BickerChicks Toilet Bowl ones. I have heard of others. :rolleyes:

bonesaw said:
3)  No one really has a supply of them, nor a way to easily get them.

WRONG !!!

I know who has the Original Artwork, and is the same person that made them up for Bikerchic.

He is the same person that makes the Long Island/Metro NY decals for me.

Now, having said that...  I like your idea of a new decal and I like the design.

The only thing I would change is that I would add the words "New Jersey" on the bottom part of the ring opposite
the word Garden State.

And don't even think of putting Lady Liberty on that decal...  She's a NY'er through & through.  Always has been and always will be...

Great Job BS...

If you want, I can get you a price on having them made up from Jim (Tinted1).

I need to get more NY ones made and you can have the new ones made and if you wanted more of the joke ones
made we can get those too.

I am also working on one for upstate NY.

GulfstreamV said:
bonesaw, I think that's a great start at a new decal (y)

Are you going to run into any copyright issues, or are you making it slightly different than the GSP symbol?
While it was inspired by and resembles the GSP sign, it is slightly different.

GulfstreamV said:
I grew up in NJ (20+ yrs) exit 147 and exit 82.  (most non-NJ types have no idea what this means  >:D  :kidding:)
I'm a transplant here, but I know exactly what you mean.  NJTP x5 for me

GulfstreamV said:
Per the National Park Service website: "Is the Statue in New York or New Jersey?    The Statue of Liberty is on Liberty Island, federal property administered by the National Park Service, located within the territorial jurisdiction of the State of New York.  A pact between New York and New Jersey, ratified by Congress in 1834, declared this issue. "

The Statue of Liberty is a NY thing, not NJ.  Not to mention that she's turned her back to NJ. :laugh:

GulfstreamV said:
IMO I'd rather see something like bonesaw created rather than the Statue of Liberty on a NJ decal.  I'm not dissing NY.  Using the Statue on a NJ decal would be a unity thing, but isn't the idea to create a nice looking NJ chapter decal itself? 

Just my $.02 worth....
Thank you.

:0:

How about adding another option to the poll...

3.) Add the New One as the Official Decal, & keep make more of the old (joke style).

JSal69 said:
WRONG !!!

I know who has the Original Artwork, and is the same person that made them up for Bikerchic.

He is the same person that makes the Long Island/Metro NY decals for me.

JSal, I've already discussed why I would not use him.  If you would like to discuss it further, please shoot me a PM.

JSal69 said:
Now, having said that...  I like your idea of a new decal and I like the design.

The only thing I would change is that I would add the words "New Jersey" on the bottom part of the ring opposite
the word Garden State.
Thanks.

I thought about that, but I thought it would be redundant.
I also thought about changing the "Garden State" to "New Jersey" but when I did it it lost touch with what it was inspired by.

JSal69 said:
And don't even think of putting Lady Liberty on that decal...  She's a NY'er through & through.  Always has been and always will be...

Great Job BS...

Thanks.

JSal69 said:
If you want, I can get you a price on having them made up from Jim (Tinted1).

Personally, I'd rather see the business either go to:
A)  A local shop (you know, have someone in NJ make the decals for NJ)
B)  A site partner like TribalAv

JSal69 said:
I need to get more NY ones made and you can have the new ones made and if you wanted more of the joke ones
made we can get those too.

I am also working on one for upstate NY.
It would probably be more appropriate for you to get the joke ones made up (since y'all NYers like making fun of NJ, anyway)  :laugh:

BTW: as I said in the first post:
bonesaw said:
The second one is the one I drew up as a possible replacement.
If anyone would like to come up with their own idea for a decal and post it that would be fine as well.

I could start a separate thread after they are submitted and we (NJ folks) can vote on it.

I have to say that I agree with almost everything above in Reply #9.

I still think it should have New Jersey & The Garden State on the decal.

Try putting the "New Jersey" on top and "The Garden State" on the bottom and see how it looks.

Kind of like...  New York - "The Empire State"

I got my quota of joke NJ decals...   I don't need any more...   I'm not making them up...  Just thought you might have a few requests from NJ people.

I know we discussed the NJ decal at your house last week but after a couple of car bombs and Utopias....

Well, you get the picture...    LOL

Keep up the good work  ;)

bonesaw said:
BTW: as I said in the first post:If anyone would like to come up with their own idea for a decal and post it that would be fine as well.

I could start a separate thread after they are submitted and we (NJ folks) can vote on it.

Just my opinion, but I think you will open a can of worms that way.

Your design is simple, clean, and effective.

I really love the idea of using the GSP logo.

Again, Great Job !!!

JSal69 said:
Just my opinion, but I think you will open a can of worms that way.
Possibly, but at least then if it encourages people to come up with something they like better.  I have no problem conceding to another design if that is the one that the NJ members chose.  I may even like one that someone else comes up with better and vote for it instead of mine.

JSal69 said:
Your design is simple, clean, and effective.

I really love the idea of using the GSP logo.

Again, Great Job !!!
Again, thank you.

bonesaw said:
Possibly, but at least then if it encourages people to come up with something they like better.  I have no problem conceding to another design if that is the one that the NJ members chose.  I may even like one that someone else comes up with better and vote for it instead of mine.
Again, thank you.

That's what I like...

A man of, and for the people...

A man who listens to his constituents.

(y) (y) (y)

Did someone say CC Button ?  :woot:

OK, so we were discussing the decal at the NJ monthly breakfast GTG this morning.  And SRFNSNO made a couple of suggestion that got my mind stirring about another possibility:
Removing the green completely (like a vinyl graphic with application tape/sheet that you remove once it is in place)
The decal would look like the first pic (ignore the black, I added it just so the yellow could be seen easier).

When applied to something dark (like a tinted window) it would look like picture 2.

Just throwing out some ideas.  What do y'all think?

Attachments

• NJ-Decal-new-5c.gif
    NJ-Decal-new-5c.gif
    17.3 KB · Views: 256
  • NJ-Decal-new-5c.jpg
    NJ-Decal-new-5c.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 367
Bonesaw,
    I love that you are spearheading this.  I also like the concept.  But i hate the colors.  If you slap that sticker on most any of our avy's were are going to look like state workers.  I work too hard to be classified as a state worker.  LOL just kidding.

I am not much of an artist myself but i do encourage brainstorming.  Many ideas collectively put together is always better than 1.
:laugh:      :laugh:        :laugh:        :laugh:
I agree with you about past NJ decals, everyone forgets that Staten Island and Long Island are the homes to the biggest landfill and the biggest sewage plants in the world.....
"Talk about toilet bowls"      Ha Ha!!! 

I like the concept, but i think we can add to it, to make it original.  But most of all the colors gotta go...PLEASE

Fredo

Maybe below Garden State it can read

"New Jersey" or "Jersey Crew"  alot of people in different areas of the country don't know what Garden State refers to.

Come-on, Does everything have to resemble Bee's ride.......... :kidding:

Jerseyshore said:
Bonesaw,
    I love that you are spearheading this.  I also like the concept.  But i hate the colors.  If you slap that sticker on most any of our avy's were are going to look like state workers.  I work too hard to be classified as a state worker.  LOL just kidding.

I am not much of an artist myself but i do encourage brainstorming.  Many ideas collectively put together is always better than 1.
. . . .
I like the concept, but i think we can add to it, to make it original.  But most of all the colors gotta go...PLEASE

Fredo
First, let me explain a little the reasoning for why it looks the way it does:

1)  I wanted to use something that everyone in NJ would be able to recognize.  The GSP runs from Cape May to the NY border.  Everyone knows what the GSP is and recognize the sign.  People don't refer to what town they live in, they refer to the exit number.  Even when we go to GTGs, the directions will likely include being on or crossing the GSP at some point.  (And its sign is prettier than the NJTP sign :p :laugh:)

2)  We're talking a decal that is going to be about 4" diameter.  It doesn't provide a lot of room for detail.  So, the number of images needs to be limited and try to allow them as much space as possible for it to be easily seen.  I tried to do something as simple as adding a bowtie on it and it made it look cluttered and didn't look good.  It was really hard to see too.

3)  The one in the first post is not the "first draft."  I made several other versions, and this is the one that I was proud of and willing to share and possibly be mass reproduced.

With that said, I'm willing to flex some on the colors, as long as it doesn't detract from the "feel" behind the inspiration.  What colors did you have in mind?

Jerseyshore said:
Maybe below Garden State it can read

"New Jersey" or "Jersey Crew"  alot of people in different areas of the country don't know what Garden State refers to.

Fredo, See reply #9.
I tried that.  Didn't look that great.

Besides, the vast majority of GTGs that people attend are either in or near NJ.  So they will all know what it means and likely immediately recognize the decal.  If you travel a distance for a GTG, it would be a great conversation starter for anyone that asks "What is the Garden State."  (y)

Jerseyshore said:
Come-on, Does everything have to resemble Bee's ride.......... :kidding:
:beating:

Hey guys, this is awesome idea, we had a really good time with it when we did ours a couple of months ago.  Ihave included a link that shows what we went through and the ideas that came in.  Once we were done, we went to vote and it worked out great.  We kept the voting to the pacific NW region only, once the sticker was decided. 

Hope it turns out well.  If you need someone to print stickers, contact member Tribal AV, he does great work and is very reasonable in price.  His stickers are really nice once completed. 
www.getsignhelp.com 

Here is the thread that has our work in it, take a look and I hope it sparks some idea.  Let me know when you get them and I will trade a Washington one for a NJ.
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,93666.0.html#top

Jerseyshore said:
I agree with you about past NJ decals, everyone forgets that Staten Island and Long Island are the homes to the biggest landfill and the biggest sewage plants in the world.....
"Talk about toilet bowls"      Ha Ha!!!   

Fredo

Don't make me laugh...

While it is true that Long Island & Staten Island HAD land fills (many bodies were buried there) but they have LONG been closed.

While New Jersey has and still is a dumping ground for NY's garbage...

Hey...  Look !!!  Is that another garbage barge ?    LOL

Kidding aside....

I like BS's idea.

I also love the cutout design...

One thing to think about though if you make a cutout design with transfer tape.

Make it in TWO colors...

One Dark (usually Black) and one LIGHT (Yellow or White)

Otherwise you will run into situations where the decal will not show up on certain vehicle colors.

Take for instance, if you only made it in Yellow then it would not show up on Bee's AV.

You might even want to think about running several colors.

Black, Blue, Green, Red, Yellow, White, to cover most color schemes on peoples trucks.

Just an suggestion.

And here my Jersey boy husband loves to point out that the garbage trucks are always heading to my home state of PA full.

:laugh:

I still like the first one that BS did.

JSal69 said:
Don't make me laugh...

While it is true that Long Island & Staten Island HAD land fills (many bodies were buried there) but they have LONG been closed.

While New Jersey has and still is a dumping ground for NY's garbage...

Hey...  Look !!!   Is that another garbage barge ?    LOL

Kidding aside....

I like BS's idea.

I also love the cutout design...

One thing to think about though if you make a cutout design with transfer tape.

Make it in TWO colors...

One Dark (usually Black) and one LIGHT (Yellow or White)

Otherwise you will run into situations where the decal will not show up on certain vehicle colors.

Take for instance, if you only made it in Yellow then it would not show up on Bee's AV.

You might even want to think about running several colors.

Black, Blue, Green, Red, Yellow, White, to cover most color schemes on peoples trucks.

Just an suggestion.

NJ is home to the transfer stations......

The garbage is actually dumped in Pennsylvania...

Thanks JSAL, you are right, i like the cutout design also, I hope that we can do it in multiple colors.
I would be happy to help with a reasonable fiscal contribution....
So How many canolli's are we talking???   Just kidding

Fredo

Back