• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

my bone head mistake, can anyone help???

03avalan

Hi,
i am new to the forum.
I am hoping you can give me some input.
I have a 03 1/2ton z71 avalanche.  My front pinion seal was starting to leak so i decided to change it.  I changed it with no problems but for some stupid reason when i was trying to figure out the best way to get the gear oil into the differential, I had stuck the quart bottle of gear oil up to the fill hole and with out even thinking i still had the cap on.  Well needless to say the cap came off and fell into the differential.  I know i know, i have called myself all the names you guys are calling me right now.  But what i want to know is if anyone thinks it will cause a problem.  It is the cap from a quart bottle, so it is about an inch long cone shaped cap made out of thin plastic.  What kind of damage do you think it will do?

I don't think this will cause any damage. The plastic will be crushed between the gears, If it happens.

Sam

that is what i was thinking but i wasnt sure if there was enough clearance between the gears for the plastic to pass through.  I know it is pretty thin plastic but i wasnt sure.  And i was worried about it getting into the bearings, like the pinoin bearing.
Do you know if the internal parts of the diff are moving when driving in 2wd?

Like Sam says, I don't think that little cone thingy is going to be a match for meshing gears with 300 HP driving them.  It will float on the oil until mashed into "woofle dust".

That is what i was hoping, i guess i will leave it and see.
I really hate to have to pay to have someone take the diff apart for a stupid cap.

Thanks for you input.

Funny story about gear slack and noise.  In "the old days", we use to put banana peels in differentials to take up gear slack and clanging.  It worked!

Rocky07 said:
Funny story about gear slack and noise.  In "the old days", we use to put banana peels in differentials to take up gear slack and clanging.  It worked!

Mental note....don't buy a car off of Rocky07.... :kidding:

Rocky07 said:
Like Sam says, I don't think that little cone thingy is going to be a match for meshing gears with 300 HP driving them.  It will float on the oil until mashed into "woofle dust".

Woofle dust?!!  :laugh: :laugh:

Back