Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
08/21/14 09:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best tires for good gas mileage?  (Read 9136 times)
aVOLanche
Charter Member

Everything else is road-kill

Awards
« on: 06/02/08 04:09 AM »

I need a new set of tires for my 2002 Z71 (originals are 265/70 17" Goodyear Wranglers).I'm looking for the lowest rolling resistance to try to increase gas mileage in mostly city driving.Any ideas or advice?Thanks!!

Pewter 1500  Z-71    
convenience pkg.
running boards,graphite leather
seat warmers,moulded mudflaps
Fumoto valve,Zaino
Amber DRLs
Poron talking backup sensor
Schelbi
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

2002 Chevy Avalanche 1500 Z71 in Germany

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: 06/02/08 04:35 AM »

Hello aVOLanche,

i did the same 3 weeks ago and changed from 265/70 to 285/70-17''. My AV is a 2002 Z71, too.
265 was the stock Goodyear and now I have the Toyo Open Country AT. My gas mileage was much better with the old tires.

Maybe I need the shorter axle ratio. AT the moment I have the stock 3.73. I'm thinking about changing to 4.10.

Do you have 3.73? You can read it on the label in the glove box. If there is a code GT4 you have 3.73. GT5 means 4.10.
Maybe anyone has already done this and give both of us more advice.

Schelbi.

Black 2002 Avalanche 1500 Z71. Mods: running on Propan (LPG), backup cam, black bowtie, removed Onstar, Diablo Predator tune, Comp cam, amber rear turn signal in place of backup lights, new LED backup lights and rear fog lights in bumper, Samsung 7" Galaxy Tab holder, CB Radio, 3'' body lift, 6" Skyjacker suspension lift, 37x12.5R17 BFG MTs on AZEV rims, Realift torsion bar relocators, removed rear bumper cover.....
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 06/02/08 06:08 AM »

With same size.
Same tread style (IE Road)
Same air pressure...

It will not matter much which tire you get..

Again Right foot has bigger impact.

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
AVnHHR
CAFCNA 2009 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 06/02/08 06:10 AM »

I need a new set of tires for my 2002 Z71 (originals are 265/70 17" Goodyear Wranglers).I'm looking for the lowest rolling resistance to try to increase gas mileage in mostly city driving.Any ideas or advice?Thanks!!

For mostly city driving, you'll find the following rules of thumb should apply:

1.  Wider tires = more rolling resistance = lower fuel economy (and, oddly enough, also less traction in snow).

2.  Aggressive "off road" tread = more rolling resistance = lower fuel economy.

I'm not surprised that Schelbi's gas mileage went down by going wider and the Open Country A/T's have an aggressive tread. 

Ed
AVnHHR
oscaletrains

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 06/02/08 12:27 PM »

I gotta say that I put a set of 17" Goodyear Fortera's on my 02 about 6 months ago,  and I think it is the best tire out there right now.  I had Goodrich AT TA's on it, and every time it rained it was like a skating rink, tire spinning from stop signs or lights almost like I was driving on ice and it was only rain. Replaced them with the Goodyear's after only running the Goodriches a couple years, and wow, what a difference.  Glued to the road, even on ice.  I liked them so much I had a set of 16"s put on my Tahoe too, awesome tire.  No white letters, but it's the best tire I ever had on anything.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Fortera+TripleTred

aVOLanche
Charter Member

Everything else is road-kill

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 06/02/08 02:38 PM »

I have the 3.73 axle.I assumed that it gives the best gas mileage.And,as stated above,the wider,more aggressive,stickier tires increased gas consumption.Just looking for the best ones.

Pewter 1500  Z-71    
convenience pkg.
running boards,graphite leather
seat warmers,moulded mudflaps
Fumoto valve,Zaino
Amber DRLs
Poron talking backup sensor
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: