• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Best tires for good gas mileage?

frule

Charter Member
SM 2003
  I need a new set of tires for my 2002 Z71 (originals are 265/70 17" Goodyear Wranglers).I'm looking for the lowest rolling resistance to try to increase gas mileage in mostly city driving.Any ideas or advice?Thanks!!

Hello aVOLanche,

i did the same 3 weeks ago and changed from 265/70 to 285/70-17''. My AV is a 2002 Z71, too.
265 was the stock Goodyear and now I have the Toyo Open Country AT. My gas mileage was much better with the old tires.

Maybe I need the shorter axle ratio. AT the moment I have the stock 3.73. I'm thinking about changing to 4.10.

Do you have 3.73? You can read it on the label in the glove box. If there is a code GT4 you have 3.73. GT5 means 4.10.
Maybe anyone has already done this and give both of us more advice.

Schelbi.

With same size.
Same tread style (IE Road)
Same air pressure...

It will not matter much which tire you get..

Again Right foot has bigger impact.

aVOLanche said:
  I need a new set of tires for my 2002 Z71 (originals are 265/70 17" Goodyear Wranglers).I'm looking for the lowest rolling resistance to try to increase gas mileage in mostly city driving.Any ideas or advice?Thanks!!

For mostly city driving, you'll find the following rules of thumb should apply:

1.  Wider tires = more rolling resistance = lower fuel economy (and, oddly enough, also less traction in snow).

2.  Aggressive "off road" tread = more rolling resistance = lower fuel economy.

I'm not surprised that Schelbi's gas mileage went down by going wider and the Open Country A/T's have an aggressive tread. 

Ed
AVnHHR

I gotta say that I put a set of 17" Goodyear Fortera's on my 02 about 6 months ago,  and I think it is the best tire out there right now.  I had Goodrich AT TA's on it, and every time it rained it was like a skating rink, tire spinning from stop signs or lights almost like I was driving on ice and it was only rain. Replaced them with the Goodyear's after only running the Goodriches a couple years, and wow, what a difference.  Glued to the road, even on ice.  I liked them so much I had a set of 16"s put on my Tahoe too, awesome tire.  No white letters, but it's the best tire I ever had on anything.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Fortera+TripleTred

I have the 3.73 axle.I assumed that it gives the best gas mileage.And,as stated above,the wider,more aggressive,stickier tires increased gas consumption.Just looking for the best ones.

Back