• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2003 - 2006 FTDRL and All-On-High

grumpy0282

Full Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
22
the heat shrink is to protect it from shorting out and causing major wiring damage or fire
 

J_AV

PM 2012
SM 2011
Full Member
Joined
May 12, 2011
Messages
207
Location
Colorado
grumpy0282 said:
the heat shrink is to protect it from shorting out and causing major wiring damage or fire

Hmm... I just might have to go back in and put the heat shrink on! Didn't know if it was necessary since it's just "recommended".
 

grumpy0282

Full Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
22
well im not the one that wrote the original posting but ive done enough wiring to know what can happen
 

xoutofmyheadx

Full Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2010
Messages
218
Location
Romulus, Michigan
IMG_0482.jpg
 

gilroy

Full Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2011
Messages
28
Location
Northern WI
Did mine tonight along with the amber DRLs.  Works and looks great :)
Hopefully can post images soon...think I need to up my post count.
 

ioldsnut

Full Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2011
Messages
110
Location
Climax, NC
Did mine yesterday and a co-worker saw it and I had to do his too!!  Thanks for the great instructions...
 

$2002Chevav

Full Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
366
Location
Las Vegas, NM
Hi Folks. Was wondering if this mod could be done on a 02. If so could someone get me the instructions. I did see the one for the full time driving lights but not to sure if all lights will stay on.

Thanks in advance  :B:
 

Ammoshane

New Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2011
Messages
6
Location
Ellsworth AFB, SD
Done it today and am loving it. It took like 2 minutes and it solved my HID hi beam issue. I had to let it warm up before it actually got bright. So it was a little dark for a few seconds when I switched over. But not any more. Thank
 

Sleeperbdriftin

Full Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2008
Messages
14
I love this mod, first read about it at least a year ago but I think I'm finally going to get around to doing it.  But first one simple question.  I have an '04 and the DRL's can be turned off by turning the light switch counterclockwise and letting it go back to the "off" position.  My question is, will that still work the same or will the DRL's be off or will they be on when I start her up?  And will the lights come on at dusk/off at dawn like standard?  I hope that all makes sense and I'm looking forward to hearing back.  I have the whole week off and I'd love to get this done soon!  And good job Vertabatt on the very detailed instructions.
 

Sleeperbdriftin

Full Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2008
Messages
14
P.S.  On my '04, I ONLY want the "All On" Hi beams.  And I want the fogs still with the push of a button.  Thanks a lot!
 

Joelg1980

Full Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2011
Messages
813
Location
Belleville, Il
Sleeperbdriftin,

I just did the mod, and from what I have seen the operation on my 2004 is the same, it's just the headlights are always on, even with the drls on, and the drls stay on at night. You don't have to connect the fogs; most guys don't since the bulbs are expensive.

The switch still works. You can still turn the lights off if you want. Happy modding.
 

ARMYtango

Full Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
1,605
Location
Monroe, NC
Since there are 27 pages on here, I am just going to jump in here and ask this question (sorry if it has already been addressed).

If I were to include the fogs on the "all on high", would I still be able to use them when the high beams are NOT on?

It would be great to still use them with the lows.

Thanks!


Ok..I just looked up after submitting.... :E:
 

eecyclone

Full Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Messages
114
Next time I'm at radio shack I'm going to get some diodes and heat shrink to do this mod. Will make a big difference with my rural highway driving at night this time of year.
 

avalanchenewbie

Cruise Coord
Full Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
4,773
Location
NJ - Summer Home of New Yorkers
If you put a on/off switch between the point where the 3 diodes meet and are placed under the relay, and the relay itself, you can effectively "disable" the "All On High" part of the MOD whenever you want.

I was kinda forced to do this in order to pass NJ state inspection.  I just disable it before I go, and enable it again after I pass.  I keep forgetting to take a pic and post it, but will do so this weekend if it's somewhat warm out and I remember.  :needhug:
 

ARMYtango

Full Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
1,605
Location
Monroe, NC
Troublemaker said:
If you put a on/off switch between the point where the 3 diodes meet and are placed under the relay, and the relay itself, you can effectively "disable" the "All On High" part of the MOD whenever you want.

I was kinda forced to do this in order to pass NJ state inspection.  I just disable it before I go, and enable it again after I pass.  I keep forgetting to take a pic and post it, but will do so this weekend if it's somewhat warm out and I remember.  :needhug:

A pic would be great!  I would love to be able to have that switch as well.
I am not sure what the NC inspection would say about it, so I would rather just have the switch just in case.
 

Sleeperbdriftin

Full Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2008
Messages
14
Ok, so I did the All-On-Highs but after I did the lows with DRL's I realized that I prefer the DRL's only and not low beams unless it is at night.  However, I would like my DRL's (WHICH ARE NOW AMBERS!!!) to come on when my low beams are on, which is at night when they would normally switch from DRL's to lows.  So my question is, if this all makes sense so far, if I REVERSED the diode would the DRL's be on at night but during the day the DRL's would be on by themselves like normal?  I hope this all makes some kind of sense to you.  And I believe a diode is like a one-way valve for electricity, but sure not an expert!  Thanks for any help anyone can offer.--Chad
 

Saoirse_Trodai

PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
Full Member
Joined
May 28, 2011
Messages
587
Location
Lee's Summit, MO
I don't know if I did my wrong or something but my headlights don't come on in the day with this mod. Only the DRLs. At night, however, the auto headlights come on and my DRLs stay on as well. Are the headlights supposed to be on all the time with this mod?

Sleeperbdriftin said:
Ok, so I did the All-On-Highs but after I did the lows with DRL's I realized that I prefer the DRL's only and not low beams unless it is at night.  However, I would like my DRL's (WHICH ARE NOW AMBERS!!!) to come on when my low beams are on, which is at night when they would normally switch from DRL's to lows.  So my question is, if this all makes sense so far, if I REVERSED the diode would the DRL's be on at night but during the day the DRL's would be on by themselves like normal?  I hope this all makes some kind of sense to you.  And I believe a diode is like a one-way valve for electricity, but sure not an expert!  Thanks for any help anyone can offer.--Chad
 

brheas

SM 2017
SM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
Full Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2002
Messages
3,006
Location
Mt Jackson, VA
Saoirse_Trodai said:
I don't know if I did my wrong or something but my headlights don't come on in the day with this mod. Only the DRLs. At night, however, the auto headlights come on and my DRLs stay on as well. Are the headlights supposed to be on all the time with this mod?

Sounds like you did it right. This mod is supposed to make your DRL's stay on all of the time even when the headlights are on. It should also make both your low beam and high beam headlights stay on when you high beams are on. Without this mod, you DRL's would go out once your headlights are on and the low beam headlights would go off when you select high beam
 

Joelg1980

Full Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2011
Messages
813
Location
Belleville, Il
Saoirse_Trodai: I also thought that I did something wrong originally, too. But then I realized that the mod simply makes the DRL's stay on when the headlights are on. What I've found is that you can flip the headlight switch to "on" (all the way up) and they'll all light up just like at night.

02 Z71 said:
Sounds like you did it right. This mod is supposed to make your DRL's stay on all of the time even when the headlights are on. It should also make both your low beam and high beam headlights stay on when you high beams are on. Without this mod, you DRL's would go out once your headlights are on and the low beam headlights would go off when you select high beam
 

spetch

Full Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2004
Messages
1,140
Location
Gainesville, VA
gingie888 said:
just wondering after i do this is it actually legal to ride with all my lights on like that
all on high?
In Virginia, you may only have 4 total white forward facing lights.  Anything more is illegal.  Choose your inspection station wisely.  Just sayin'.
 
Top