• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Chevy Discontinuing AV

HuskyDriver

SM 2003
Full Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2002
Messages
185
Location
Bloomington, ?MN
I heard today from a guy that was looking at Chevy trucks that GM was going to stop making the AV after 2003. He heard this from a salesperson. Anyone else heard this? I tried to do a search on this and came up empty. Sorry if I'm asking something that has been posted before.
 
Based on sales data from 2002, the discussion I'm having with General Motors at a high level, and some of the studies that have been done (that I can't share) I find that extremely unlikely. Shoot the horribly selling much maligned Pontiac Aztek has survived three model years!

Just my two cents...
 
HuskyDriver said:
I heard today from a guy that was looking at Chevy trucks that GM was going to stop making the AV after 2003. ?He heard this from a salesperson.

Sounds like a sales ploy.
 
Chief said:
Based on sales data from 2002, the discussion I'm having with General Motors at a high level, and some of the studies that have been done (that I can't share) I find that extremely unlikely. ?Shoot the horribly selling much maligned Pontiac Aztek has survived three model years!

Just my two cents...

Man, that thing is FUGLY!
 
I'll bet my Av...on the fact that this great machine isn't going to be killed off anytime soon.....like most I feel like that was a ploy on behalf of the salesman to instill panic in you....age ole'...don't miss out because you failed to act now.... :D

Dave
 
This is salesman BS.

The idea behind the Avalanche is what is growing in the truck industry. New demand for a family oriented vehicle combined with truck versatility has also driven both Ford and Dodge to come out with quad cabs standard on their 1500 trucks.

Chevy's idea was to use the Suburban base with midgate functionality. I can tell you from experience, the Avalanche rides much nicer than the new Dodge Ram. Ford's new 2004 F150 was first advertised with quad cab, and is what they showcased at the Philly auto show.

This new version of truck is here to stay. Something that can haul several people and cargo, both comfortably. I prefer the way Chevy does it with the great chassis they built on the Suburban, and option to use a midgate.
 
I don't think Chevy would can the Av. It seems to be a love hate thing with the Av. I think this kind of thing will just snowball as other makers come up with their own Av. type models.
 
Go back and see the salesman and tell him that you heard from a reliable source that GM is going to eliminate salespeople and sell vehicles direct to buyers just like Dell does - on the phone and via the Web. That oughta give him something to worry about instead of spreading baseless BS.

I know for a fact that the Av is alive and well! It's selling just fine thank you and it won't be discontinued. Next!
 
The consumer ranking on the top ten pickup trucks is out and silverado is #1, Ford 150 #2, and Avalanche #3, in total sales.

Why would you want to screw with that?
 
Warranty Gold tells me that Av sales are very strong. You won't stop making something that is selling.
 
WISE AV said:
I don't think they will either, but if they did, how long would it be before we had "Classics" :rolleyes:
That would be sweet. Were any of the club 'classic' members around when the Chevy Nomad when out of production?
 
olsontru said:
Yep, sounds like the "Get it now or you won't be able to". ?
Salesman wants a sale, no holds barred.
I would agree. Just like the old "buy it now, 'cause the prices are going up next model year" sales ploy. :rolleyes:

Oh, wait a minute... that one's usually true... :p

Ummm... Nevermind! :-[

-- SS
 
GM shot themselves in the @$$ over discontinuing the Chevy Caprice, (REAL) Impala, Buick Roadmaster, and basically all their full size rear wheel drive cars. :8:
I would hope they don't make the same mistake with our Avalanche.
I have driven the Caprice Police package and the :D: F--d Crown Vics. I have opted to stay with the OLDER Caprice and passed up on the :D: Crown Vics for obvious reasons. :B:
 
If the salesman wants to stand by that claim, tell him you'll bet him $100 bucks (or whatever amount) that there will be an 04 production run. See how quickly he starts fumbling around.
 
RJLanche21 said:
GM shot themselves in the @$$ over discontinuing the Chevy Caprice, (REAL) Impala, Buick Roadmaster, and basically all their full size rear wheel drive cars. ?:8:
I would hope they don't make the same mistake with our Avalanche.
I have driven the Caprice Police package and the ?:D: F--d Crown Vics. I have opted to stay with the OLDER Caprice and passed up on the ?:D: Crown Vics for obvious reasons. ? ? :B:

What? Because the gas tanks explode when they are rear-ended?

What? Did I say that out loud? >:D
 
Since the Av was Motor Trend's 2002 Truck of the Year, there must have been something special about it! That's about all I can say. That there should be reason enough to never even think about discontinuing it :7:.

BTW - are we still lined up to have GM reps coming to the National Meet? That would be a great way to show how much people love their Avs and that the production of them should never be stopped :love:.
 
Back
Top