• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Drivers side door lock indicator keeps popping off...

Bluonyx

Full Member
Joined
May 22, 2004
Messages
293
Location
Ventura, CA
So as the title says, my drivers side door lock indicator keeps pooping out of the socket. I've had to purchase extra ones off eBay cause my wife doesn't notice when they pop out and then get lost. Has anyone else here had this problem? Any known fix?

The only thing I haven't tried is glueing or E6000 the damn thing on.

s-l1600.jpg
 

ohiobellboy

SM 2008
SM 2007
Full Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2007
Messages
7,674
Location
CANTON
Never heard of that and I can't tell you how many times I had those off changing regulators or running wires in doors of different trucks over the years.

Really dumb question but did you look at the door panel itself to see if there's something from preventing it from seating correctly?
 

Bluonyx

Full Member
Joined
May 22, 2004
Messages
293
Location
Ventura, CA
It looks like the the foam on the door panel has worn out, got brittle and is worn away. So the lock indicator really has nothing to grab on too. As of right now I put a little piece of sticky felt on the lock indicator and it seems to be holding. Or at least it hasn't popped out in the last week, haha.
 

Raekal

PM 2021
Full Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2021
Messages
351
Location
Flint, Mi
You could potentially try some 3M VHB tape around the opening. You would jsut have to decide how you'd want to apply it, and base the selected thickness on that. Between the adhesive and foam, it would probably do the trick for a semi-permanent fix.
 

Tacocat

Full Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2019
Messages
138
Location
South Fl
My passenger door lock indicator came loose as well since I've had the panel off more times than I can count.
To fix it, I used a bit of cardboard cut and shaped on the back side of the panel epoxied into place. It holds well, maybe a little too well as removing the indicator now takes a bit more force but nothing extreme.
I had to let the epoxy setup for a bit before shaping it so the indicator would fit.
It didn't take much epoxy and the cardboard was cut into thin strips. I folded the fabric back to expose the backer board and set the cardboard in, then epoxied it from both sides. To hold the cardboard still, I used the aluminum tape for AC ducting. Once it set some, I carefully shaped it as best as I could. It's definitely solid and the indicator first move around at all. Maybe that'll help get yours to stay in place.
 
Top