You likely won't notice any drivability problems.
A code P0442 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:
* A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
* A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
* A small leak/hole in a fuel vapor hose/tube
* Other small leak in EVAP system
* Faulty vent o-ring seal
With a P0442, the most common repair is to:
* Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the codes, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back.
* Otherwise, replace the gas cap, or
* Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses
"clear the code(s)"?
How is this done?
I bought a 2004 Avalanche,full boat loaded, and have had a 'code' 4 times in the past 4 months. Dealer gets $49.00 to tell me it was a code and was reset, again. They could find no other problems. I figure I could live with the 'once a month' reset and save the $49.00 for fuel, if I knew how to reset.
Can anyone help me before I go broke supporting my mechanic's kid in school?