• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Preorder You Sail Windows Today!

MikesAvalanche

SM 2003
Full Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2002
Messages
91
Location
South Texas
I am on track to make 100 units and have them ready for shipment the week of Dec 9, 2002.

The Avalanche?s Sail Windows are made using 3/16? Laser Cut Smoke Gray or Bronze tint Plexiglas (bronze tint seem to match back window better) with a molded piece of 1/8? black ABS for the back and held together with two ?? x 2? Socket Cap Screw (3/16? head) to a ?Well Nut? ? a Neoprene w/Captive Brass Nut. Weatherseal foam tape is used to seal both Plexiglas and back piece. There is a ?Right? and ?Left? side in the set.

Retail Price: $99.95 set
Club Members Price: $84.95 set ($8.50 to the Club)
Shipping with USPS 2 Day Priority Mail is $10.00 w/Insurance add $2.50

10 % of all sales to club members go the Chevrolet Avalanche Fan Club.

Preorder your set today, Email Me at mike@gne-ws.com
Note: No payment till shipment, I will send you an Invoice through Paypal.com when they are ready to ship.

Chevrolet Avalanche Fan Club members pay only $84.95

SailWindows_1.jpg
SailWindows_2.jpg
SailWindows_3.jpg
SailWindows_4.jpg
SailWindows_5.jpg
SailWindows_6.jpg
SailWindows_7.jpg
SailWindows_8.jpg
SailWindows_9.jpg
SailWindows_10.jpg
SailWindows_11.jpg
SailWindows_12.jpg
 
WVBubba said:
BETA TESTER Checking in ;D
I got my sail windows yesterday, and spen 13 minutes of my Thanksgiving installing them, that included the time it took to remove and replace the cargo covers...I installed them myself since it was 25 degress this morning couldn't coax Mrs Bubba out of the warm cozy house >:D
the fit & finish was excellent Mike you have produced a very fine product for this Club ;D Here are a couple of shots
Side view
sail1.jpg

closer
sail2.jpg

Reflection
sail3.jpg

Backside
sail4.jpg

Closer View
sail5.jpg

Looks very cool!
 
Thanks Mikle for the chance to test these.
1. They are very easy to install. took 15 minutes.
2. They are proffesionally made with very heavy plastic used throughout.
3. They look GREAT!
DSCN0477.JPG

DSCN0478.JPG
 
One difference I did notice between our pics is that the originals bolts on Mikes appear to be shiny, the ones that I and openminds received were black, which makes them unnoticeable, I guess this was an improvement ;D
 
Didn't notice that before, but you are right, the black is better and less noticable. These are well worth the money. Hats off to ArrivalMike for making these available to us. Another club first!
 
Dayum (thx ygmn) another must have mod and I haven't even got the av yet! These things should really have been GM standard, anyway I'll just email you Mike to see how you can handle shipping "down under".

Coming at ya.
 
WVBubba said:
One difference I did notice between our pics is that the originals bolts on Mikes appear to be shiny, the ones that I and openminds received were black, which makes them unnoticeable, I guess this was an improvement ;D
My set was the first prototype made and the washers on the bolt were not painted. The 4 samples we made for the beta testers was to be like the final production, so the washers had to be painted.

Ya'll pictures LOOK GREAT!!! ?;D ;D ;D

I am glad you like them and THANK YOU for your comments!!! :cool:
 
Please let me know what tint you want when you email me ???. The 3/16? Laser Cut Plexiglas come in Smoke Gray or Bronze tint, bronze tint is darker and seem to match back door window better, cause of this I will have more bronze tint available :cool:.

As it stands now we will being shipping the week of Dec 9, 2002

THANKS!!
 
Installed our set of Sail Windows yesterday...
Installation was very easy...the kit even came with an allen wrench.
Overall, I think its a great idea & product and looks good! (y) Thanks Again Mike.

These are my suggestions to Mike after testing them:

Add a small gap in the weather stripping at the base of the window to allow water drainage...

Bevel the edge of the window for a more flush fit. It Looks good now...but I think
it would look even better if they were beveled.

SailPhoto1.jpg

SailDriver.jpg

SailPassenger.jpg



A Whole New Look For My Avalanche!
 
Cindy ... I love the new look.

I will have to inspect the windows closer on Sunday and figure out how to install some mini-neons in them :rolleyes:
 
Hey Goo!
I think neon would be really easy to install in them -4 sure. ;) You could run the wiring through the sail panel and there is gap between the window and the backing you could put the tube in... ;D LOL.
 
I won't ask why you think that is funny ... LOL :rolleyes:

It looks like we are just waiting for Zeeya to checkin with how the Sail Windows look like on his Black AV ;D
 
goo929 said:
Cindy ... I love the new look. ?

I will have to inspect the windows closer on Sunday and figure out how to install some mini-neons in them ?:rolleyes:

Etchings and LED's like I showed you the other day Goo! ;D
 
:cool:
byron said:
Etchings and LED's like I showed you the other day Goo! ? ;D
With the Laser Cutter we are using to cut the Plexiglas we can also Laser Engrave anything on the outside or inside of the Plexiglas. I was going to offer this as an extra option after a sample or two to see how it looks.

So Goo we can engrave a Hooter girl on each windows and after you put neon in the middle this will look COOL! :cool: :cool: WE will talk more about this tomorrow.

Thanks
 
Yes AV_Mike ... we will talk about it tomorrow ;D
 
After seeing these panels I can tell you without a doubt this is my next mod!!! ;) After just buying the Denali cluster I gotta wait a couple weeks :-[ Done so much lately the wife is asking questions - of course my reply is simply :rolleyes: ??? :2: Seems to have worked so far >:D
 
TexAVfan said:
After seeing these panels I can tell you without a doubt this is my next mod!!! ?;) After just buying the Denali cluster I gotta wait a couple weeks ?:-[ ?Done so much lately the wife is asking questions - of course my reply is simply ?:rolleyes: ???? ?:2: ?Seems to have worked so far ?>:D

Regretfully my wife monitors the AV situation a little more closely than your wife. She also knows approximately how much this stuff costs since I was tricked into submitting a detailed Christmas list. :)
 
ArrivalMike said:
:cool:
With the Laser Cutter we are using to cut the Plexiglas we can also Laser Engrave anything on the outside or inside of the Plexiglas. I was going to offer this as an extra option after a sample or two to see how it looks.

So Goo we can engrave a Hooter girl on each windows and after you put neon in the middle this will look COOL! ?:cool: :cool: WE will talk more about this tomorrow.

Thanks

EXACTLY!!!! If you do the engraving, you can then drill a small hole on the side of each panel and insert a ultrabright LED. This will make the etching GLOW!!!!

I borrowed these two pics from metku.net. They are on clear lexan admittedly, but you get the point.

dragon1.jpg


dragon2.jpg



 
byron said:
EXACTLY!!!! ?If you do the engraving, you can then drill a small hole on the side of each panel and insert a ultrabright LED. ?This will make the etching GLOW!!!!

I borrowed these two pics from metku.net. ? They are on clear lexan admittedly, but you get the point.

Yes I can or you can, it is just ABS plastic. No problem drilling holes into it. :cool:

Yes the engraving will glow with the neon, I may want to do this TOO! ;D

NOTE: FYI I plan on improving the first batch of Windows based on the Beta Testers replies. The first item we plan on doing is making the outer Plexiglas fit a little better, flusher with the cladding. The foam seal added to the profile a little more then I thought in design. It is my hope and plans to build a product that matchs our Chevy AV, like a rock!

I want to thank all who as made a suggestion to improve this product!

Thanks
 
Hey Mike,

The windows look great. I saw SoCalCindy's and Goo's pics and wondered what color you sent them? Smoke or Bronze?

I have a 2003 Dark Metallic Grey and want them to blend nicely. I don't know what color to choose! You said the bronze matched the rear window better; however, I'm thinking with all the grey on my Av the smoke color may look better.

What do you think?

Todd
 
I just ordered the Bronze tint. I have Light Pewter Metallic paint with the dark rear window. If anyone thinks I should go with smoke, let me know and why.
 
tpseabird said:
Hey Mike,

The windows look great. I saw SoCalCindy's and Goo's pics and wondered what color you sent them? Smoke or Bronze?

I have a 2003 Dark Metallic Grey and want them to blend nicely. I don't know what color to choose! You said the bronze matched the rear window better; however, I'm thinking with all the grey on my Av the smoke color may look better.

What do you think?

Todd

I have had both on my AV and I thing the bronze tint matchs better and it is also darker. So all my sets in the furture will be bronze tint. ;)
 
Mike,

Do you think you could take a picture of both colors side by side for general comparison? It would probably make everyone's color decision easier. I'm personally having a hard time visualizing the thought of a bronze color next to the 2003 darker cladding.

Thanks,

TP
 
OK guys, sorry for the delay. The sail windows came in on Wed. and i put them in the back of the AV and they went to Huntsville AL. with me.
I installed them while inlaws watched, oggling..........LIKE WHAT IS THAT FER?
Any way, My comments to follow and will post pictures tomorrow while at the office and i can get a picture in the daylight now that i am home.
*Windows look great
*15 minute max. install time.
*I fiddled with mine a little extra trying to get them to fit as flush as possible.
(caution) when trying to get them flush make sure they are plenty loose or the corners of the plexiglass will scratch the cladding.
*The parts used in this setup are of geat quality. We just have to remember these were test units and the flush fit is what Mike needs to know about. I talked to him and he said he was going to work on that. The only time i really notice it is if you are standing towards the rear and you can see the back section stick out where as the front section sticks in alittle.
SO-Cal has the right idea about fixing it to where the moisture can drain out of them. My 10 year old son asked me the same thing. I think that would be something to look at..
If you get right up on it you can actually see in and see the assembly. Kind of different.
*I put a 1000 miles on the AV this weekend and the windows were on for half of that trip.
I would have to give it a (y) after the trimming is finalized.........
GREAT JOB MIKE!!!
will post pictures tomorrow, Monday 1st,,of December........
 
Back
Top